Paradigm Reference ADP-170 Surround Speakers

Design: 4-driver, 2-way optimized reverberant surround
High Frequency Driver: Two 19mm (3/4in) CMC™ ceramic/metal composite domes
Bass/Midrange Driver(s): Two 140mm (5-1/2in) poly - propylene cones, die-cast chassis
Frequency Response: 85Hz - 20kHz (reverberant soundfield)
Suitable Amplifier Power Range: 15 - 100 watts
Height x Width x Depth: 27 x 25 x 18cm, 10-1/2 x 9-3/4 x 7in

Submitted by Rob Ciszak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
EXCELLENT!!!

I upgraded from the ADP-70v.2 and haven't been dissappointed yet!

Good timbre match with the Monitor 3v.3 or Monitor 7v.3.

A little pricey but well worth it!

Current System:

Front: Monitor 7v.3 ($350 each)
Rear: ADP-170v.3 ($230 each)
Center: CC-170v.3 ($160)
Sub: Phase Tech Power 10 ($360)
Receiver: Pioneer DSX-D810S
CD/DVD: Pioneer Elite FV-07
Monitor: Hitachi 43" HDTV

Purchased At:   Audio Craft

Submitted by Michel Cormier a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I LOVE PARADIGM, I have titans up front, cc-170 in center, accoutic profiles subwoofer. Before I bought the ADP-170 I was using a pair of normal front firing speakers for my rears, sounded nice enough but I read about the dipolar approach so I picked these up. WOW, the effect in home theater is really something else, distant thunder sounds like distant thunder, It's very hard to distinguish from the real thing. It's really cool, these speakers fool me and my friends all the time, we find ourselves peeking out the windows when we hear sirens etc. The sound is so well reproduced and dispersed that you can't tell where it's coming from. I would recomend these to anyone who craves reality in home theater.

Purchased At:   Hirtle's

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I started, after reviewing this site, by picking up a pair of monitor 9's for fronts. To match these, the ADP170 and the CC370 center channel were not far behind. I thought of the ADP370 to match the Monitor 9's but it seems like overkill now, made more sense to match the center channel properly.

The system is set up in a corner (no backwall, and one side wall not there) of my finished 20X40 foot basement, so tiny speakers were out, I just didn't think that they'd drive such a big space properly. I have the ADP170's at head level under a drop ceiling, one on the wall and one hanging (I made a hanger). Probably not the optimal setup, but I have kids so stands are out, and the dipole system made more sense for the placement/seating setup. I'm no audiophile, but the sound is clear as a bell and has my family and friends amazed. Try the scene in "The Patriot" where Mel and his two sons rescue Heath Ledger's character from the squad of redcoats in the woods. The bullets whiz right by your head. Amazing response, clarity, plenty of low end.

Live Wire Audio in Windsor, Ont, CA, was very helpful and gave a great price on the package of the ADP170's and the CC370.

Currently using a JVC RX-9000VBK A/V receiver.

Purchased At:   Live Wire Audio, Windsor, Ontario, CA

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I debated on whether to get the adp-370 or the adp-170, and for the price difference verses the sound quality the adp-170 outperformed them. In movies they fill the room rather well. If you are looking for a set of surrounds look no further, because you will be more than satisfied with the adp-170.

System:

Main: Monitor 7 v.2
Center: CC-370 v.2
Surrounds: Adp-170 v.2
Sub: PW-2200

Purchased At:   scs

Submitted by Jose a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased these babies after I was not able to get a hold of some JBL THX-certified dipoles. Damn! Anyway, I tried them out, and I was severely impressed. I can actually hear deep bass out of these boys. The dispersion is not a problem at all. SOME OF MY TESTS DISCS: Saving Private Ryan, Blue Chips, The Fifth Element, and Backdraft. If you want to test the bass handling out of a similar speaker you can begin with these discs.