Magnepan Magneplanar MMG W Surround Speakers

On wall speaker, one way, requires a subwoofer, 100-16khz

Submitted by StevenSurprenant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought the two pairs of the MMGW's and the MMGC center for a 5.1 channel surround system. I was concerned that since these were 5 ohm speakers my current receiver would run out of juice, so I bought a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver to drive them. In addition, I am using a HSU VTF-2 MK 2 Subwoofer to take care of the bottom end.

My room is about 16 feet wide by 17 feet deep. I mounted the front MMGW's on the side walls about 3.5 feet from the front walls. At the moment, the rears are on the side walls about 2 feet in front of the couch. The couch is against the rear wall and there are door ways on each side of the couch. I'll be working on placement of the rears, but they work well where they are for now.

The center channel has been below the 52 in flat panel and above. The TV hangs on the wall. Below the panel, the center is just under ear level and so the clarity is a little better than when mounted above the screen. When the center is above, the sound seems to come from the screen more so than when at the bottom. I plan on leaving it on top. Besides, it just sits there perfectly and looks way cool. I should note that the center is only 6 inches away from the wall behind it. I spoke to Magenpan and they told me that it should be between 2 foot and 5 foot from the wall. I tried that, but my room is too small and I really didn't think it sounded much better. It sounds very good where it is! I love this center.

I also tried using a pair of MMGW's as center speakers. I used a pair, mounting one on each side of the monitor. It sounded very good, but I preferred to use the MMGC because while the MMGW's spread the audio image across the screen the MMGC seemed to focus it more toward the center of the screen. If I were to sit further back from the screen I might have to change my mind.

About me...

This is my first complete surround system. Since the early seventies, I have been into 2 channel audio and have owned some very good equipment and so have become very critical about sound quality. About 10 years ago I got off the highend carousel and decided to put together a system that didn't cost an arm and leg, but still sounded highend. I ended up building my own speakers and have never looked back since. My reference system consists of magnesium woofers and a 4 foot ribbon tweeter. They are not planers, but they sure sound very open like planers. These Maggies are the third pair of planers I have owned and I love the sound of planers. Once you live with planers, you will find that you can hear the boxes of most box speakers irregardless of price. It becomes very distracting.

So, how do they sound?

First off, the MMGW do not have tweeters and so you will notice it depending on what instrument is playing. In addition, they don't go below 100Hz so they have no bass. A good subwoofer can take care of the bottom end. With music the sound is to die for. They image much better than any speaker in their price range and better than most speakers I have heard. On the down side, there is a haze overlapping the clarity. Don't get me wrong, they are very clear and clearer than most speakers that I have listened to lately. I have heard the same haze on all the Maggies from the MMGW to the 1.6's. I also heard the same same haze on a pair of Sonus Faber that I listened to recently. I still liked the Sonus Faber. I guess that my reference system has me spoiled. I should also point out that all the Maggies I have heard have had great imaging. Okay, lets get specific...

(2 Channel music)

Imaging & Soundstage...
The first time I heard these speakers I was taken back because they produced the same soundstage as my reference system. They produced a deep soundstage and I could hear the singers in the back of the recording as clearly as I could hear the main singer. The images of the instruments and performs were separate and well definded in the soundstage, left to right and front to back. I was totally amazed! The images were not as well delinated as with my reference system, but they were not that far off either. I would not have believed it without hearing it myself.

Clarity...
This is the one area that could have been improved. However, I am comparing it to the best available and in the real world, the clarity is very good. In fact, if you've not heard better, you would be impressed with its clarity.

Dynamics...
The dynamics were acceptable and rarely did I notice any lack of dynamics. Of course, they were mated with my HSU sub. Without the sub, they had no bass.

(Surround sound)

They were seemless and would play very loud in my room. On one movie I was watching, the entire room lit up with energy when the special effects kicked in. It got so loud that I was afraid that the police would be knocking at my door any minute. Very impressive! The clairty of voices was exceptional.

Needless to say, surround sound is new to me and so I have been renting movies like crazy. I didn't realize how much I've been missing.

Finishing up...

A friend asked what I thought of these and I told him that if these were my only pair of speakers I could easily live with them for the rest of my life. What they do well they do very well and what they lack is minor in comparison. To my knowledge, there is no speaker in this price range that can even come close to their performance. I have heard speakers that cost thousands that I would not take over these.

The bottom line is that these are one of the most impressive speakers in their price range I have ever come across.

What's really amazing is that these are the bottom of the line for Magnepan speakers.

Purchased At:   Magnepan

Submitted by chelentano a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Magneplanar sound is such that, once you've had it, you'll never go back to box speakers. The box colouration is totally absent, and instruments & singers sound big and remarkably lifelike, almost like they're in the room. The Maggies have a reputation for being a bit energetic in the treble, and with my power amp, they have the very unusual combination of being clear & detailed and yet totally unfatiguing. They thrive on acoustic & vocals, try Eric Clapton Unplugged and all I can say is wow!

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Submitted by drkeffer a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
Initial review is NICE! Just installed, very easy wall installation. Full system not running yet(no subs and bare subflooring) but the sound produced from the speakers alone is "crisp and clean" with more detail than I'm used to hearing. Very unobtrusive style(very high wife approval). Just what I was looking for in HT speakers. Can't wait till Sub is up and running:)

Purchased At:   Magnepan

Submitted by sriedesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
These are one of the best deals in home theater. I have had 4 complete home theater systems in the last 5 years and this modest $900 system is my favorite. The sound from the Maggies is most natural and involving, the surrounds are where the speakers really shine, I've yet to find a more enveloping pair of rear speakers.
The shape of the speakers is unreal, they look like window shutters on your walls; very cool! Be warned that the recommended 24 inch mounting height is TOO high.

Purchased At:   Direct from Magnepan

Submitted by ace5000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just received one pair of MMG Ws yesterday. My first impression was "wow " and they seemed to sound even warmer after a couple of hours. I knew after a short time last night, my quest for a budget HT system that would satisfy me was over. The ambiance they create is amazing, perfect for HT. They are airy, not bright, as I was afraid they might be. In fact, I was watching a flick last night and it sounded great just in Stereo mode!

Be careful when mounting them as these things really have horizontal and vertical sweet spots, kind of like an old rear projection TV. Moving your head side to side and up and down makes a big difference. See what works for you and just don't go 24" from the floor as indicated in the directions. Mine are now at 18".

1) Packaged very well.

2) The pigtail wires coming out of them is weak. Why do I need my insulated 12 Gauge OF cable if I'm splicing into this cheap 16 ga. stuff? Not cool.

3) Very smooth, open and ambient sound. Sounds great at low volume levels as well.

4) Sucks juice from your receiver/amp like crazy! I can see how my Pioneer Elite is barely adequate for these babies, and I don't even have the center or surrounds yet. Might be time for an Ad-com...

Thanks.