Definitive Technology BPX Surround Speakers

Definitives's bipolar surround speakers are simply the best available. Each is a true bipolar system containing two complete full-range speaker system, one on each side of the cabinet. Bipolar technology is absolutely superior for surround speakers because it synergistically combines the performance advantages of direct radiating (imaging, focus, localization, and specificity) and dipolar speakers (spacious, sourceless, all-enveloping ambience) into one ideal system which is perfect for all discret 5.1 formats including Dolby Digital AC-3*, DTS* as well as the new Dolby EX* and Dolby Pro-Logic*. They are all full-range, extremely linear, low-distortion systems which are timbre-matched to blend perfectly with all our speakers as well as other high-quality speaker systems. The Definitive bipolar rear speakers all have tremendous dynamic range as well as true high-definition sound quality which, combined with their bipolar radiation pattern, results in total immersion in the sound field.

In addition to their use as side/rear surround speakers, all are ideal for use as front effects speakers. Also, because Definitive's bipolar surround speakers are engineered as true high quality speaker systems, they are perfect for use as left and right front speakers with or without a subwoofer. Like Definitive's bipolar towers, all reproduce a huge, lifelike, exceptionally wide three-dimensional soundstage with absolutely stunning depth-of-field.

Submitted by not me a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Bottom Line:
Great side/surround speakers.

Efficient, you don't need a lot of power.

HOWEVER specs for this speaker are wrong, they don't go as low as 45hz. I'd set no lower than 80hz, but one test shows F3 point is 100-120hz.

Submitted by john abegglen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
i have the bpx surround speakers and they are the best surround speakers that i have every had . they sound great.

Submitted by nmac1230 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
First of all, I would like to thank all the people who have posted reviews at this site. I used this site extensively when I began my search to upgrade my home theater system. I have almost completely revamped my home theater system and have several reviews to write today.

I began my search with Surround Sound Speakers, so that is where I'll begin today.

Previous HT system:
Onkyo TXSV-646 Reciever
Polk RT 600 Front Speakers
Pol CS225 Center Speaker
Samsung CD/VCR Combo- still needs to be upgraded
Pioneer Tape Deck
Hitachi 61" Rear Projection TV

Upgraded to:
(These upgrades are based on my research at this site!)
Definitive Technology BP 2000TL Loudspeakers
Definitive Technology CLR 2000 Center Speaker
Definitive Technology BPX Surround Speakers
Marantz SR7400 Receiver

The BPX Surround Speakers (and the entire Def Tech line) have a great full sound. I am a classical musician and prefer a smooth sound to my acoustic system. The Def Tech speakers give me plenty of power, lots of definition to the entire audio spectrum, and crisp sound without being harsh.

I bought my entire Def Tech speaker system from Ebay without hearing them. I am very pleased with their performance. I realized that my old Onkyo receiver was not going to do the job to fully power these babies, but I'll post that review in the Receiver section.

Bottom Line: If you are interested in great speakers, built with quality of sound and construction, I highly recommend Definitive Technology.

Purchased At:   Ebay (all 5 speakers

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used BP2X surrounds for many years. These were competent in providing some ambience, but so subdued I would sometimes turn-off the amp for the front and center channels to make sure the surrounds were working.
Recently, my local dealer offered a pair of used BPX speakers for me to try. These made an unexpected improvement in the excitement and spatial effects from the surrounds. The BPX are now a part of my system with the BP2X speakers moved to rear channels in 7.1 configuration. A CLR2000 and pair of BP10 speakers complete my system.

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
These Speakers are truly amazing as surround.The sound for music as well as for home theater is outstanding that's because these speakers are not small. They are almost 18" high x 10" wide. They consist of (4) 5 1/4" cast-basket high resolution,high power,bass midrange drivers and (2)1" ferrofliud damped moving coil pure aluminum dome tweeters. and that's each speaker and i have 2 of them for side surround since I am using the BP2x (2) as rear surrounds so in total I am using (12) 5 1/4" midranges and and (6) 1" tweeters.When I play music in 7 channel stereo sound its really hard to believe the sound comming out of these speakers and for home theater, you will have to me here in my apt. to hear every pin drop specially when I am using all seven channels with DTS or DTS-ES Movies. Gladiator,Saving Private Ryan,The Lords Of The Rings,Star Wars Attack of The Clones, never sounded as good in any movie theater as in my apt. with these speakers specially my main towers the allmighty BP2000Tl's I named them "The Twin Towers" for those who know these towers they know what i mean as far as power and earth shaking speakers.
My System:
Mains: Def Tech BP2000TL
Center: Def Tech C/L/R 2000
Side Surrounds: Def Tech BPX
Rear Surrounds: Def Tech BP2X
Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi
DVD-CD Player: Panasonic DVD-RP91
Panasonic PT-47WX51 HDTV 47"

Purchased At:   Audio Breakthroughs