Definitive Technology BPVX Surround Speakers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $1198.00

The BPVX offers you a compact, Dolby Digital-ready, bipolar (meaning two opposite-facing sets of drivers in the same enclosure) side or back surround-sound bookshelf speaker with features including high-definition bass/midrange drivers, wide-dispersion pure aluminum dome tweeters, complex Linkwitz-Riley crossover networks, and solid monocoque cabinets with diffractionless grill/baffle interfaces. Bi-polar Surround Speaker

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been using these 4 BPVX as rears for the past month( giving them over 100 hours of breaking period) in a 7.1 system with the Definitive BP2000TLs as main and the CLR3000 as Center Channel and all I have to say is that I have put together the best 7.1 system money can buy. I didnt want to go with the BPVX/P (powered version) because I have plenty of base response from the mains as well as the center channel. I know many people complained about the "lack" of base response but they keep forgetting that these speakers were made as surrounds and not mains(although you can use them as mains if you have a separate subwoofer and setting them to small in your receiver or preamp). If you want base fron the back surrounds then you should buy the BPVX/P with have two built-in 6-1/2" 125 watt subs.I have listened to many high-end surrounds costing up to three times more that the BPVX and none of them have come close to the detail and transparency of these surrounds speakers.They sound amazing not just with movies but also with music. I play mines using the "Pure Direct" Stereo 7 in my Processor and together with the BP2000TLs and the CLR3000 they produce the most clear and detail stereo sound when playing DVD Audios , SACD in MultiChannel or Redbook CDs thru my Sony XA9000ES CD Player.
I will like to also praise the Oustanding Customer Service you get from Definitive Technology. I have had the pleasure to speak with Chet Pelkowski at Deft. Tech. many times before and it has always been an extremely satisfactory experience. I had to call him when I first purchased my BPVX's because one came damage(cosmetic issues,caps were broken,sock ripped))and he was able to solve the problem right away by sending me new caps,sock, and plastic post to replace the damage parts. He offered to have the Speaker replace including shipping and all but since it was only a cosmetic issue to wich I could have personally resolve having the parts needed I opted to have the parts send to me.In almost two years dealing with Definitve Technology Speakers I have to say that they have the most Oustanding Customer and Technical Support I have ever dealt with in any other company.
Many Thanks to Definitive Technology and specially to Chet Pelkowski for always taking the time to explain and help customers in any questions or problems they may have.

Purchased At:   Audio Breakthroughs

Submitted by Brad Mallory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
The BPVX speakers seem to match my pair of BP2000 speakers well throughout midrange and high frequencies, but the bass performance was less than what I expected. I certainly was not expecting the bass performance of larger loudspeakers with dedicated subwoofers. However, with the frequency response specified as 31 Hz - 31 kHz, I was disappointed when I was unable to audibly obtain anywhere near that bass response in any of my own listening environments. I'm sure that the bass response does extend down to 31 Hz; just not at a very high decibel level. I must say though, this is the only time that I have been disappointed with a Definitive Technology product. As a surround sound speaker, the BPVX is a great choice, but it just didn't seem to live up to the bass response it had on paper. I don't want that to discourage anyone from listening to them, they are a great surround sound speaker, and they have the treble and midrange qualities that I love in my BP2000's. The BPVXP models were not released at the time of my purchasing the BPVX speakers, as I ordered the BPVX even before they were released to dealers and received them about 3 or 4 weeks later. I decided not to wait and go with the powered version of the BPVX (the BPVXP) since I already had plenty of amplification to drive full range surrounds, but the different crossovers used in the BPVXP model will allow for greater bass performance than the BPVX.

Definitive HELP BPVX/P

I Looking At Purchasing The Definitive Bpvx/p Surround Speakers. It States They Are To Be Wall Mounted But I Would Like To Know If They Can Be Stand Mounted. Thanks MikeRead More »