Definitive Technology BPVX/P Surround Speakers

Bi-polar Surround Speaker w 150W Powered Subwoofers

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the non-powered version,BPVX. I have been using Definitive Technology Speakers for over a year and the experience has been overwhelming. I have just finished upgrading my surrounds from the BPX to the BPVX (4) as my sides surrounds and rear surrounds in a 7.1 Channel System..The reason I am using the "non-powered" version is because I have more than enough "bass" comming from my Mains( Def.Tech BP2000TL) and my
Center Channel(CLR3000) so these surrounds are the perfect match for my system.These surrounds sound very good even when new but after a 100+ hours of break-in period they are more open and detail.They are very transparent and detail even at very loud volumes. I use mine for movies as well as music. Yes!!! even with music, setting my processor to "Pure Direct Stereo 7" these speakers sound wonderful. Highs are very clear yet not bright.The music sounds clear and natural the way it its meant to be.Wether i am playing Multi Channel SACD's or DVD-DTS Audio Cds music sounds extremely well.Even when I am playing Redbook Cds thru my Sony XA9000ES CD player the listening experience is overwhelming. Listening to these BPVX's in combination with the rest of the Definitives, BP2000TL and the CLR3000 (both in FULL RANGE)wether in music or movies you have one of the best 7.1 channel system money can buy and take it from me, I have listened to many surround speakers(some costing up to 4 times more) in so called "high end" systems and non of them have sound as clear and trasparent with so much detail as these BPVX.
I will like to also praise the outstanding customer service you get from Definitive Technology.I have dealt with many companies before but no other has given me the kind of customer satisfaction, courtesy, and profesionalism you get from Definitive Technology specially from Chet Pelkowski.He takes the time to explain, guide you thru,and give you the best advice wether you choose to purchase Definitive Technology produts or not.
Thanks so much Definitive for making such great Audiophile Speakers at such great prices.

Purchased At:   Audio Breakthroughs

Submitted by TheShape1212 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This may very well be Def Tech's best looking speaker yet. It is esentially a compact 3-way bipolar system with the woofer portion being powered, which definately helps add some much needed punch, although I'm not sure about the 23hz low end rating. These puppys play LOUD and handle an impressive amount of power. They can easily be used as mains, with a little subwoofer reinforcement. 5 out of 5 overall as there is nothing quite like it in terms of performance and size, 2 out of 5 for value-no way Definitive can justify a $1500 list price when they have the BP30's and BP 2006's for considerbly less-the 30's and 2006's are a far better value considering you get full range sound for less. Luckily I managed to "steal" mine for $970, I couldn't be happier with these!

Submitted by Brat Prince a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Price paid in canadian dollars

This is the second piece in my system upgrade. I currently am using the C/L/R 3000 for my center. I have a small pair of bose for fronts and little bookshelf infinities for rears. Run by a Kenwood vr-509. And 2 Sound Dynamics subs (8" and 10")

I am currently using the BPVX/P's as my new fronts till mid march when I get my BP 2000's.

This is the first pair of truly higher end speakers I have owned, and they are incredible. I was originally going to settle for the BPX's, but after the positive reviews and much internet reading. I decided on the BPVX/P's (without even hearing them) I had to custom order them as no store in Winnipeg carries them. Anyway..

As I mentioned these have been acting as front speakers since I bought them 1 1/2 months ago.

I have one issue at the moment, it started with the C/L/R 3000. As you may know, the 3000 has a 10" woofer, and the BPXV/P's have 2 6.5" woofers in each speaker. So the problem is I am almost getting too much bass. I have my 2 subs almost turened off they are so low. I partly attribute this to the little to no bass management in the Kenwoord VR-509. I have spent quite a while tring to get a happy balance of bass in movies, as well as music. And with each passing day the bass in the BPXV/P's gets a little deeper, a little more refined. They are not quite broke in fully yet.

Bass issue aside, I cannot speak high enough praise. They are incrdible for music as well as home theather (70% HT use 30% music) I have had volumes to the excessive levels and they haven't shown't any sign of giving in. (This may change, and I will update once I get my Rotel amps in May) But as it stands, they are amazing.

Not looking forward to mounting them though, they are quite large (just under 2' tall) and weigh about 30 pounds. They hae a small little single hole bracket to hang from (a little cheap in my opinion) So I think I will have to shelf mount them. Nice little perk is they have included a 6" power cord so you could mount them directly over an outlet and see no wires.

My recomendation is if you have the cash, and want a hell of a kick from your surrounds, give these babies a listen.

Purchased At:   Advance Electronics

Submitted by Paolo Nascimbeni a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this speakers! I had before the non-powered version, they had a great sound for the price but this one really fill the room. I am using more and more the surround options of my Yamaha AV1 instead of using the just stereo mode since the sound if now good from any direction.

Submitted by Ludwig Dumaplin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought the speakers from a local dealer after reading about it online without trying it. Demo'd monitor audio and klipsch but was not quite impressed. Bought and installed the BPVX/P surround speakers and was blown away. I have PSB Golds i front speakers and PSB Stratus C5 as center channel and the surrounds blended well.My wife was likewise amazed by the fullness of the surrounds. It sounded more theater-like ,as my wife would say. Watching movies is more involving. will upgrade to BP 2000 and CLR 3000 in the future and dedicate the PSBs to audio. Great speakers. Won't regret it if you buy it.