Definitive Technology BP 2X Surround Speakers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Bipolar Surround Speaker

Submitted by vabch22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
They're Def Tech's, what else needs to be said? These speakers are rich and full, perfect for rears. I had them hooked up to my fronts just to see how they would do and I was amazed at how they filled my living room. Granted they do not have the bass response of the BPX's, but for the feature/price ratio you cannot go wrong. If you are debating between buying the BP1.2X and BP2X's, spend a little extra and get better sound!!

Submitted by horrorfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great surround speakers. They do exactly what they claim just make sure your processor is set on small surrounds because the dimunitive woofers in these speakers cannot handle DEEP bass. These speakers are a very good match for my bp10b fronts and clr2500 center . Definitive makes great sounding speakers and these are no exception.

Purchased At:   clark music latham n

Submitted by lamboots a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
First I should say that I do not own these speakers. However I spent 3 hours at Ultimate Electronics comparing the BP 2X's vs. Definitive's next step up BPX surrounds. After spending the 3 hours, I must say the BPX's (while double the price per speaker) are head and shoulders above the BP 2X model! If you're like most people just looking for a quality surround speaker just to complete your 5, 6, or 7.1 surround system... bang per buck, you can't beat the BP 2X's! However, if you're an "audiophile" like myself, the BP 2X's are VERY lacking in bass. According to Definitive's specs http://www.definitivetech.com/specs/specs.html the BP 2X's lowest frequency response is 45 Hz. That's not very low when you're talking bass. The BPX's however have a lowest frequency response of 38 Hz. Now, you might be thinking "that's only 7 Hz difference..." however if you spend the time, and "listen" to the difference, there's no mistaking it! The complete range of the BPX's (not to mention the difference in sound quality) was phenominal! To me, it will be worth spending the extra bucks per speaker. For those that are a step beyond audiophile's, and on to pure insanity, there are the true ultimate in Definitive surrounds... the BPVX and BPVX/P (for those not in "the know" the /p is POWERED!). I myself have a Cerwin Vega 10" powered sub that I have channeled my surrounds through, so I don't need the top end surrounds with sub's in them. But I must say, if you haven't thought of adding a powered sub to the rear of your home theater connected solely to the surround channels and not the "sub out"... YOU ARE MISSING OUT!! If you want proof, put "Star Wars Episode II" in the DVD player, go to Chapter 3.. when Senator Amidala's ship fly's over head (from rear to front) if you've got a powered sub connected to your surrounds, you understand where George Lucas has taken Surround EX... there are subwoofer signals sent to the surround channels!! It was like I had a new home theater!! It rumbles across the whole theater sound stage!! I knew I held on to my Vega for a reason!

My setup is Definitive BP 2002 TL's for main... Polk Audio twin 4" Center Channel, Sony 8" Rear surrounds fed through Cerwin Vega 10" powered sub. Onky 90W x 5 receiver.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by Matt Levy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
The product model is 2002. I just got 3 of these babies professionally installed today by Audio Center here in Florida, an authorized DT dealer. I had patiently been biding my time waiting to go 6.1 and surround myself with sound. I am now in audio-video heaven. Before, I had no choice but to elect a wall of sound approach because of the layout of my family room. I went from my Polk surrounds to Definitive Tech, mainly because they're better and I am quite happy with my DT subwoofer. I also was patiently waiting to finally go from 5.1 to 6.1, as my Marantz SR-18EX had not been used to its fullest potential until now. Great sound from these surrounds - they are about 7-8 feet high in the air on the wall (left, right and dead center). My wife wanted them in white for aesthetic reasons...who am I to argue, colors don't affect sound. So far I've listened to the Fellowship of the Ring (Extended version 6.1 DTS), Spiderman (check out chapter 18), T2, Phish Live in Vegas, Star Wars Episode IV (the original imported from Malaysia), and Blade II. WOW! I don't know what else to say. It's like I was at the movies, only better - no lines, privacy, no annoying old Boca Raton farts asking what was just said, no sticky soda-laden floors, and best of all the pause button for bathroom breaks. Music in 5 channel stereo was wonderful. My one and only DTS music CD (Vital Information) was amazing too. These speakers haven't even burned in. Def. Tech are truly the best bargain out there - the reviews don't lie - don't but turned off by the heavy marketing either. Bipoles are the way to go - they give much more spaciousness to your room with the sound, particularly with a big family room like mine where its needed. You will not be disappointed.

My system:

Onkyo Integra TA-RW909 Dual Tape Deck
Polk RT-800 tower speakers
Polk CS-250S Center Channel
Definitive Tech Pro Sub 100
Definitive Tech BP-2X (3)

Purchased At:   Audio Center

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review should be read with the review on the Definitive Technology BP 8B speakers I did on October 28, 2002 and December 3, 2002. These sealed surround sound speakers are fabulous! I can't get over the sound on these speakers. These speakers are a perfect match with the BP 8B speakers. These speakers didn't show any signs of distortion compared to the Polk Audio F/X500i or the F/Xi50. Don't get me wrong about the Polk speakers. They too sounded wonderful, but if you decided to play your movies or music at reference levels, be prepared for that slightly annoying sound of cone vibration due to air movement because those speakers are ported (power-port design), i.e. bass reflex. As before I tired several types of music such as U2, 2 Pac, George Strait, ZZ Top and BB King. In each case, the BP2X sounded better than the Polk speakers did in 5-channel stereo. I looked at those Polk speakers for the longest time and couldn't decide if I should keep them (thanks to Circuit City for letting me return them). I next decided to test these speakers with the following DVDs: Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Saving Private Ryan (DTS version), Behind Enemy Lines (DTS version), IMAX Super Speedway-Mach II (DTS version) and We Were Soldiers. The BP2X left me speechless. I just sat on my coach and said, "Damn." The IMAX Super Speedway-Mach II just blew me away. The scene were Mel Gibson calls in the "broken arrow" during the second day of the battle and bullets are flying by every direction was awesome. The scene where Owen Wilson and "Stackhouse" are trying to lose the SAM was even better. The beginning of Saving Private Ryan was just incredible. The Jedi battle scene towards the end of the movies just kept my jaw to the ground. For those of you wondering, these speakers are powered by a Denon AVR-3801 and showed so signs of weakness. I'm sorry, but the cone vibration from the Polk speakers just kept annoying me

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics