Definitive Technology BP 1X Surround Speakers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

BiPolar Rear Surround Speakers

Submitted by Holst a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Definitive Technology UIW-BP/A In Wall Bipolars. As soon as Audioreview.com have added them to their database for 'In Wall Loudspeakers', I'll copy this review accross :

I have the UIW-BP/A's in the ceiling, 3 ft from the back wall (11 ft long) and 1 ft from the side wall (15 ft long - one of the sides is part open to another room). The speakers have been mounted such that, for each assembly, one drive unit fires forward and the other backwards to give a diffused effect. I sit on a lounger 3 ft from the back wall.
I've reinforced the ceiling by removing the upstairs floorboards and adding extra cross joists either side of the speakers. The whole area was then boxed in using MDF screwed, glued and sealed with silicon mastic to the joists and plasterboard. As a final measure, to simulate a loudspeaker enclosure, the sides and top of the box were covered in a sound absorption material. Each box has a volume of approximately one cubic ft. All this was hard work and time consuming, but I believe it's been worth it to improve the bass and eliminate the ceiling vibration.
My wife didn't want speakers on the wall, hence the reason for choosing these and not the Definitive Technology BP1X wall bipolars.
When I started listening to them, I was surprised how similar they sounded tonally to my Kef 105/3's. The Kef's are superb - fast, very natural sounding with great weight and authority. Just read the reviews in Hi-Fi Choice, Hi-Fi News, Etienne Borgers review in http//www.hometheaterhifi.com and also on this site. The Kef's, through necessity not choice, are not ideally positioned , but this doesn't really seem to affect their performance - 18 in from back wall, 9 in from side wall, 9 ft apart and angled towards the listener.

My main interest is listening to my front speakers in stereo but I also love movies, hence the decision to extend my system to cover AV.

Current System -

Kef 105/3 main speakers - Superb. high efficiency, low distortion, huge dynamic range. Reviewed on this site.
Definitive Technology UIW-BP/A ceiling speakers (can also be used in a studded wall).
Denon PRA1200 pre amp - Has a very quiet moving coil input.
Denon POA 4400A monoblock power amps - Effortless power, very musical, punchy, gutsy, smooth and dynamic. Reviewed on this site.
Logic Dm101 electronic suspended subchassis turntable - No longer made but was easily as good as the Linn Sondek in it's day. Suspended at the three corners plus a central coil spring around the bearing.
Logic Datum tone arm - Again, no longer made. Sturdy, no free play, good for moving coils.
Stilton Body Audio Technica AT-F5 mc cartridge - Great tracker, refined, detailed, better bass than any CD player I've heard !
Sony 228ESD CD player - Good sound for an old player but technology has moved on and there are now much better players. I'll use this purely as a transport when I get my AV amp.
Rotel RT850L tuner - Great sound with my loft aerial.
Pioneer DV444 DVD player multi region - Similar to 440 model sold in the States. No progressive scan. Great picture and sound. Reviewed on this site.
Denon DRM 650S cassette deck - Good sound with most makes and types of tape. Reviewed on this site.
Sennheiser HD590 headphones - Very comfortable. Good sound. Reviewed on this site.
Phillips PW6515 50hz 28 inch widescreen TV - Great picture.
Sony Nicam Stereo VHS recorder.
Cables - Maplin's 'Shark' large diameter, multi fine stranded OFC speaker cable throughout (similar to Supra cable). 'Shark' 156/0.06 OFC foil screened signal cable for long runs and QED Qunex 1 interconnects for the shorter runs. All long cables are hidden under the floorboards and behind the ceiling coving.
Wharfedale Powercube 12A Subwoofer - I've only just got this and it appears to be brilliant value at under £200. I've requested for it to be added to the database for review.

Ben Duncan's 'Super Spur' power supply. See Ben Duncan's article in Hi-Fi News on how to build a 'Super Spur' power supply - I think the article can be purchased from Hi-Fi News.
I've used oversized armoured cable to individual metal unswitched sockets for each component. The armouring is earthed at one end to the metal distribution box to act as an RF shield and a separate earth cable taped to the outside of the armoured cable for normal earth (socket earth pin to ground). My whole system is now uncannily silent during quiet passages with no hum or noise. All aspects of the systems performance have now improved. The spur, installed by a qualified electrician, only cost £600 including parts and has been well worth it.

Proposed AV package -

Denon AVR 3803 or Marantz SR7300 AV receiver - Both have 12V switching for my 4400A monoblocks.
Kef Q9C, Kef model 100 or a centre speaker from either Definitive Technology or M&K.
In the distant future, possibly a single UIW-BP/A as a ceiling centre rear if I can find a single unit.
The Denon PRA1200 will then just be u

Purchased At:   Frank Harvey Hi-Fi,

Submitted by Jeff a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the BP 1.2X version...

The way that my HT room is layed out I needed to be able to mount both of the surround speakers on the rear wall. This somewhat precluded using side firing Bipolar speakers such as the Paradigm ADP series, since the sound would go down the rear wall rather than into the room where the listeners are. Similarly to get good area coverage I did not want just a single driver front firing speaker.

After doing much searching I found the BP 1.2X speakers from Definitive Technologies. These speakers work very well when they are mounted on the rear wall behind the listeners. The trapezoidal shape and Bipolar design make them ideal for distributing the sound completely and evenly into a room where they are mounted on the rear wall.

I would highly recommend these speakers to anyone that wants great surround sound, at a reasonable price, particularly if you need/want to mount the speakers on the rear wall behind you. Happy Listening!!

Purchased At:   The Listening Room, Saginaw, MI

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these at a local dealer as demos as the new were out of stock and the low price offered ( full warranty included). I have been quite satisfied with this purchase and highly recommend these to anyone with a Def Tech system. Mine have been used with a Pro Cinema 100 system and they blend well with the same drivers used in both rears and front 100's. I have found no weaknesses and plan to keep them as my surrounds as I build my new home with a dedicated HT room, but will upgrade the rest of the system with BP 2006 TL's in front and a new center. My only regret is that these rears are in storage while my new home is built.

Submitted by T. Rieper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall, this speaker set gets the nod in terms of performance to price ratio. The guy below who says it has no midrange is obviously not placing them correctly. Three feet above your ear level, at an angle of 120 degrees in proportion to the head is a good starting point my friend.
The best movie to listen to with these speakers is Batman and Robin. An otherwise atrocious movie to view, but the opening credits while listening to these surround bipolar Def Tech speakers is incredible. Turn it up as loud as you can, and just try not to let your jaw hit the floor when it blows you away.

As reference, I integrated these Def Techs into my Atlantic Technology T170 system (great speaker set), and the difference is negligible. Atlantic surrounds are 87db, while the BP1Xs are 90db. I watch all my DTS movies using this system and cannot stress how important location is with these beauties. Speakers are like real estate, its all about location, location, location.

I wholeheartedly recommend these great surrounds!

Purchased At:   Uncles Stereo

Submitted by Eric Henze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
sounds muddy and hollow in the midrange, would not recommend as a match with Paradigm speakers (Esprit tower and C350 center). Does not accurately reproduce many effects sounds.