Boston Acoustics Micro 90x Surround Speakers

surround speakers

Submitted by superedge88 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
Price Paid: $40 (used)

I was looking for a high quality set of surround speakers for my system. As you may well know it is difficult to find "small" and "high quality" in one package. Well I read a TON of reviews and basically found that this is one of the best small surround speakers. You can understand my surprise when I found them for $40 for a pair of them on craigslist, so I went and scrutinized them, listened to them carefully (WOW) and happily paid the $40 asking price.
Now that they are matched up with my Klipsch RF-3 main speakers, Klipsch RC-3 Center and Klipsch SUB-12 and they really blend well! They are so small that they blend in well with my living room that doubles as my home theater, the wife doesn't mind at all. I will be buying another set of these as my main speakers once I can find another set and will be placing them in the master bedroom matched up with a Klipsch SUB-10.
I really am impressed with the how these speakers can handle so much volume and sound good with DVDs and Music. Whatever I throw at these speakers they handle well! Just make sure that you matched up with other speakers that can handle low bass, with the small woofer in these speakers they simply weren't made to go BOOM BOOM.

Submitted by Pitchn23 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I thought to buy Bose but did not see good reviews, someone told me about Klipsch. Went to listen to them, they were great for DVDs but when you played a CD the sound was quite tingy.

Playing both the DVD and CD on these speakers gave a real deep rich sound, very solid sounding speaker. Really pleased with my purchase.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by ERWIN AYALA a

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
ONE WORD EXCELENT!!!!!! DON'T SECOND GUESS JUST BUY THEM

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I traded my VRS surrounds for the Micro 90x. It's difficult to get the diffused field sound from the VRS series unless you have clean (unobstructed) side walls to attach them to. My living room is open on one side, so the VRS's just weren't practical.

So far, I am very pleased with the Micro 90x's. I was immediately impressed with the shear weight of these little speakers, a full 6 lbs each due to the pure die-cast aluminum enclosure. Definitely 5 stars for build quality.

The sound has been excellent for a surround of this size. The speakers have the same aluminum dome tweeter as the Lynnfield VR series, so the highs are just as incredible as with my VR950's. The bass could be stronger, but given the size I think it's adequate. Suprisingly, the 90x's serve well as front speakers when used with a subwoofer.

The only downside to these wonderful performers is that they are a bit costly--the $400 price tag seemed a lot for such small speakers. But looks can be deceiving. Overall, these are an excellent set of speakers that I would recommend to any home theater enthusiast, particularly if you have Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR front speakers.

Purchased At:   Home Entertainment (Tweeter)

Better small surround sound speakers than Boston Micro 90x ?

I have Boston Acoustics Micro 90x surrounds on my home theater. I was thinking about moving them into the bedroom as main speakers matched up with a Klipsch SUB-10 subwoofer which I believe should sound awesome for a modest bedroom theater. I LOVE the size of the Boston Micro 90x speakers for surr ... Read More »