B&W DS 6 Surround Speakers

4.36/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Dipolar Surrounds - 5" Woofer and (2) 3" Tweeter

Submitted by Jizz Mopper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great product which really does create a diffuse soundfield. Ambience, panning and coherence with the front speakers is top notch, well beyond the price range. I find that most of the time I'm not really too aware of them - but turn them off in the middle of a film and it is amazing how much the soundstage shrinks into the front channels. Set up properly, and this is easily done, they are unobtrusive yet invaluable, just like a well set up subwoofer.

I must say that I much prefer dipole surround to any other type of speaker used as rears. They are the only type which really manage to 'surround' you without bringing attention to themselves - they really blend into the background.

They only downside - for some people - is that they cut off at 80ish Hz. However, with a good subwoofer, this isn't a problem. Overall, highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Superfi (UK)

Submitted by Hwulex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers, bought as a system together with B&W 603S2 fronts, CC6 centre, and Sony STR-DB940 Amp
Sound excellent in my listening room of around 5x4 would definately recommend them.
Considering upgrading my Amp, but I know these speakers don't need upgrading, these are gonna last me up through some higher quality hifi yet :)
They seem expensive to start with, but they're gonna last, so in the long run they are going to work out to be a steal!

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks, UK

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
At first I wasnt to sure about these speakers I had never used dipole speakers before and did not what to expect, I had played a James Bond DVD "Tommorrow never dies"(a favorite dem disc) and because I had not set the rears to small on my Yamaha DSP A2 I heard, as my wife discribed:-"funny farty noises"! I promptly re adjusted my amp and tried again, this time the sound was much better, very good in fact
I used my system comrising of:-
Sony 725 DVD player.
Yamaha DSP A2 amp.
B&W 601 fronts.
B&w CC6 centre.
B&W DS6 rears.
REL Storm II sub.
Cable Talk cabling.
for about 2 years, enjoying the exellent sound given out by this system and then it happened............
I upgraded my Sony 725 DVD player to a Pioneer DV 737.
What a difference this upgrade has made, it has made my DS6 rears sound about 50% better, if this is possible, they now sound a lot sharper and completely wrap you in sound, From old films "The Blues Brothers" to new "Pearl Harbour" and all good dem discs in between such as:-
The Haunting
Fight Club,
Toy Story 1&2,
The World is Not Enough,
Shrek,
and guess what, Tommorrow Never Dies has never sounded so good !!
There is only one problem though, now the rears sound so good I think an upgrade to the fronts is now due, maybe the B&W CDM1NT fronts & B&W CDMNT centre.
The moral to this story is that the DS6 rears sound good with mid range HI-FI but the further you advance up the HI-FI ladder the better they get.

Purchased At:   Sevenoakes Hi Fi

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
A really nice dipole surround. Positioned correctly, they are almost impossible to localize. Despite the limited frequency response, they have done well with music, even with my new DVD-A setup, much to my surprise. Great for cinema, I would highly recommend them. For music, it might be better to get an receiver like a Denon which lets you switch between A and B surround speakers (depending on if you're listening to music or cinema) and get a more full-range speaker for music. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Century Stereo

Submitted by Derek Van der Klift a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Outstanding surround sound experience. Easy to install and great to look out. Real easy to fit into your home theatre.