B&W DM600 S3 Surround Speakers

The DM600 S3 is a small speaker designed for mounting directly on-wall, but stand or shelf mounting is also possible. Its primary use is as an unobtrusive surround speaker, but it may be used in other applications where small size is important. The performance of the 120mm (5-in) Kevlar® cone bass / midrange driver and tube-loaded metal dome tweeter belie the speaker''s diminutive size. The DM600 S3 comes complete with a simple wall mounting bracket that spaces it sufficiently from the wall for cable access and to allow the rear-firing Flowport to operate effectively.

Submitted by rogers54 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
These speakers make great surround speakers.
I first used them as mains with a small sub and was very impressed with their sound. I later purchased DM601S3 for the mains and placed the DM600S3 for the surrounds. The 601's was as large as I could place in my wall unit in a small living room. I used the LCR60S3 for the Center Speaker. This small surround sound setup sounds great in a small room and the 601s3's do a great jog for Stereo Music also.

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have put off purchasing these little wonders for too long! About a year and a half ago I purchased a set of 601 S2's and a CC6 S2 mated to a pair of Jamo surround 200's. Needless to say the 200's could not even compare to the soundstage, imaging and quality of the B&W's. I replaced them with a cheap set of PSB Alpha S di-pole surrounds. Nope, no good either. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a set of 600 S3's. Amazing! What a difference! From this point on I will only use direct firing speakers for surrounds. The 600's are perfectly matched to my 601's and CC6. After installing them and running a voice test through them I immediately noticed that there is finally no difference in the way they sound compared to my front end. Wonderful, could not be happier.

One word of advice, these speakers are hungry! They will not only drop as low as 3ohms with lower freq but are also quite inefficient too. They require a solid amplifier. So far I have had good luck with my Marantz SR7400. Other than that, highly recommended.

My current audio:

QSC RMX-850 (sub amp)

Purchased At:   B&W dealership

Submitted by Hurtado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a fine loudspeaker for a limited room, so I tested the B&W DM 301 and I was pretty sure to buy them, but fortunatelly the shop run out of stock, so when they recived the new shipment I run for my new speakers and find the DM 600 S3. The best thing that could happened, as soon as I listened to them I dismissed the DM 301. I'm not an audiophile so I can't understand how these little speakers could deliver such an amazing sound range. I feel as I re-discovered my music collection, every CD that I test is a new experience.

Purchased At:   FG High End

Submitted by allwind a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was shopping for bookshelf speakers in the $300 range. Listened to Definitive, Mission, Klipsch, Polk Audio. Listened to B&W DM 601, 602 as well.

I decided on the 600 and am happy with it. Listen to music about 60% of the time, rest movies.

The higher models added bass, but I think I'll be better off getting a powered sub later, and also completing a 5.1 setup.

Purchased At:   Sound Dimension

Submitted by mcesarey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I found these little speakers in the local audio shop only a few days after they came out. I was looking for some small front channel B&W's to use in a dorm temporarily, so I opted for these. They've taken about a month to totally break in with normal playing time. They sound great with most recordings. However, they can sound garbled when music with too much information is thrown at them. They don't sound that great with powerful, electric guitar with distortion type of music. With accoustic and live concert recordings I think they sound beautiful. The only shortcomings I've noticed are problems that would only matter to the front channels, for use as a surround speaker, there's no problem. I would see no point in spending extra money on the 601.

Purchased At:   Anything Audio