Yamaha YST - SW515 Subwoofers

Powerful 270W Subwoofer with Advanced Technology for Top Class Sound Quality.

Submitted by Champagne a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
Yamaha's SW515 is a deep impressive subwoofer. Something u can feel and listen very loud.

Purchased At:   Local

Submitted by account a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchase this sub after hearing it in their showroom, sounds great, producing bass that you can actually feel. Back home, I did some testing. As this sub is equip with “Advanced YST II (Yamaha Active Servo Technology II)”, it should be able to “drive the speaker cone with even tighter control” as Yamaha claim. With most music, it sounds good, some tight bass, compare to the YST-SW315. If you were to pump it with bass intense music, for example, music from Bassotronics, the flaws of this sub is really going to show. Plenty of distortions, clipping, flapping, very boomy.

As for movie, which I’m really into, I found the sub clip once I play movie soundtrack that contain some low frequencies materials. Some examples would be the starting scene from “The Day After Tomorrow”, Chapter 1 from “U-571”, starting scene from “I robot”. It’s just trying to reproduce the frequencies it can’t handle, even at low volume. Frankly, I’ve NEVER come across a sub that clips at low volume; even cheap subs. Subs that I come across would just not reproduce the frequencies that they can’t produce.

The “High 270W Dynamic Power” is over claimed, it just don’t feels like a 270W sub. I’ve come across a 100W sub, and in terms of power output, it’ll definitely put the Yamaha to shame. The “20-160Hz Low Frequency Reproduction” is also over claimed. The issue is the same as their YST-SW1500 model, it does reproduce to the 20Hz range, but the SPL is so low that it’ll be of no use at all even for a room size of my bathroom. The SPL (sound pressure level) of this sub just roll off radically at the mid bass range, while the bass it reproduce at the lower end, the distortions is just sky high.

In my opinion, buy this sub if you intend to use this sub for a small size room, all your playback materials doesn’t contain ultra low frequency (Which movies soundtrack always do..), you don’t mind high distortions and you don’t mind your sub to clip there and then when you playback movies.

For now, it’ll be sitting at a corner of my store room, while I enjoy my movies with my newly purchase Velodyne Sub.

Burning smell from Yamaha YST-SW 1500 sub

My YST 1500 emitted a burning smell from it's front port while watching a movie, I had it a lot louder than what I usually play it at. I'm not getting any type of smell from the rear which has all the circuit boards and the woofer appears to still play well. Can someone provide some advice on what ... Read More »