Yamaha YST SW305 Subwoofers

4.65/5 (26 Reviews)

- Advanced Active Servo technology: a complementary amplifier/speaker system utilizing negative impedance feedback in the amp and a Helmholtz resonator in the speaker to provide strong and accurate bass from small speakers.
- High amplifier power assures enough power to deliver movie theater-like bass effects and the dual 8-inch spruce cone drivers translates the power into clear bass sound.
- Front panel controls make it easy to see the settings and make adjustments when necessary.
- Bass selector tailors the subwoofer's output for video or music at the touch of a switch.
- Subwoofer is magnetically shielded so it can be placed near a TV monitor or receiver without fear that it will degrade the picture.
- Volume control permits the perfect matching of the subwoofer's output to the overall volume of the system.
- Signal sensing on/off: when the subwoofer detects an audio signal, it turns its power on, when it senses no signal for several minutes, it shuts itself off.
- Phase normal/reverse switch makes it easy to phase the subwoofer with the other speakers in your system.
- Dual inputs allow the versatile subwoofer to accept either line level or speaker level input signals.
- Heavy-duty three-way speaker terminals accept banana plug and a variety of other connectors, as well as speaker wire.
- Handsome black ash finish blends in with room decor.

Submitted by ballhawgs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased the Yamaha YST 100 (dual 8in) back in 1993, for $750 when HT subs were unheard of. In 2001 lightning struck the house and fried the amp. I was happy with Yamaha's product that I venturd out and purchased the YST-305. Same sound with a 200w amp. This unit has a few more options with the Music/Movie switch,(should be on a remote!) and the neg/ polarity switch in the rear. I have been happy thus far and the bass doesn't seem as boomy as a single 12-15" sup. I do like the idea of a passive radiator to the enclosed version or a ported version, but I have still yet to find an equivalent sub for the money.

Purchased At:   smilephotovideo.com

Submitted by Kiley Casey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this item from BestBuy thinking I had gotten a good price for a reputable name in Electronics. Boy was I right. The clean rich from my system is awsome. Love it man. It goes good with my JBL system.

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by ART a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I must be "Nuts" adding another sub,just for my rear Center channel (see prev.review)standing waves not an issue anymore. I got the yam cuz of the slim profile + low price, it hides behind the couch so I get the cleanest rumble/ butt shaking around. Neighbor has knocked several times now pleading me to turn it off/turned down on bass enriched movies and sometimes, concerts (Diana Krall live in Paris / My favorite). Only drawback this sub got is it's missing LFE plug, Hey! for the low price of this sub you can do some fine tuning.This sub really complemented the rest of my speaker system (I have an "L" shaped room.)Maybe in the future I can replace my Polk PSW 650s just to be aestheticly friendly ( 10 x 14 x 9)sized room.

Purchased At:   JandR

Submitted by rainman208 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I used to sell electronics back around '98 and we had the yst-sw150 in the store which was a dual 6" sub and it blew me and everyone who heard it away. It pur the Bose sub to shame. In fact I sold a couple of them to people who had Bose Lifestyle packages and they all said the same thing; "my subwoofer doesn't sound like that!" It was $400 at that time so when I saw a dual 8" model for half the price available I began to salivate. As I expected this sub rocks. Music and movie recordings come to life. The bass is so rich it's fattening. The only sub I've heard that would come close would be a $1000 plus Boston Acoustics or something. For the price of this sub there is NO competition. Add this sub to your HT and you can charge admission. Awesome sub Yamaha.

P.S. When you get this sub play Return of the Jedi and listen to Jabba the Hutt speak!! Wow!

Purchased At:   lgdsuperstore.com

Submitted by sipet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Used as HT subwoof for first 6 months of its service, hooked it up with RX-V1300. Sent all my apartment doors & window shaking when I watched Stars Wars Episode I Phantom Menace during the pod race scene. Powerful little woofer. Now using it in my Hi Fi set which consist of Rotel RA-02, Marantz CDP - 4000, Marantz ST - 6000 & Yamaha NS - 7930 still is rocking.