Yamaha YST-SW320
Description: 10" subwoofer

Submitted by OCTAVIO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
ACABO DE ADQUIRIRLO POR 2500 PESO MEXICANOS Y ES UN GRAN SUBGRAVE ME PROPORCIONA LO QUE ESTABA BUSCANDO Y MAS.. PARA UN DEPARTAMENTO PODRE VENGARME DE MIS VECINOS RUIDOSOS CON CRECES AFINADO A 40 HZ ME PROPORCIONA UN BAJEO PROFUNDO HASTA AHORA SOLO LO HE ESCUCHADO CON MUSICA Y FALTA ACOMODARLO EN UN LUGAR PRECISO NO ESTOY DEFRAUDADO POR EL SUBGRAVE LO RECOMIENTO AMPLIAMENTE

Submitted by crippler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am very satisfied with this sub as a home theatre addition. But let me say this clear, IT IS NOT FOR MUSIC. If anything it distracts from the sound in music mode. I suppoe if your a bass head it would work but if you want good bass look elsewhere. It did a fairly good job in DVDA however but not stereo. There was just too much fine tuning to even get it listenable. Basically to much hassel.

But in movie mode you get bass in spades. It rocks the house. Still not the crispest bass but for the money a steal. I recomend it for home theatre. It is definetly worth the money.

Purchased At:   Norway

Submitted by Thendrix2605 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for an amazing price, $199. I read alot about this sub, and was impressed with the critics rating. The sub out of the box doesn't give you the specs that it say you can get. 20HZ couldn't be found.. Though it did produce to about 30HZ which many other popular brands "bottom out" at. But with a little tweaking and finding the right placement this sub can drill out as much heart pounding sound as a Sunfire can.. Oh yea! 20 HZ is defitanly there.. Just listen to Mahlers 2nd Symphony DVD with Zubin Metha. Last movement about 15 minutes in.. Big fat Organ cords that are sure to make your wife very upset with you at 2 a.m. True the Sunfire can sound great if you placed it on the ceiling upside down. But the point of this comment is not to say the Yamaha is the same quality. I'm saying that it CAN produce to the level that guys in the living room who want their neighboors to hear the infamous gun shots of T2, or the Rockets ignition in Apollo 13. I have read in many articiles about the SW320 has a bit of a "lagging" it does have a little looseness to it, I will admit, but we are only talking about millisecs. And only in the precision music of classical, and I wouldn't even say it's the thud of the Bass Drum, but more in the timpani, or kettle drums. And if any one asks about it, tell them it's a new technology that Yamaha is coming out. Then they will be impressed again. LOL. If you want to know what worked for me I placed mine in the hole by my TV and Bose 601. Placed port toward the main speaker, and set volume at about 50%. Placed the HZ cutoff frequency at about 85HZ Bose doesn't have much lows I admit, but the are pretty boomy at around the 90-150 HZ so no need for the sub. Besides the mains level off with the sub really nice.

Purchased At:   Naval Exchange

Submitted by vicgar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow, I tell you these bose's sound fantastic. I don't know what some of the negative comments are about. I have done allot of research because I wanted to get it right the first time. I'm stationed in Italy and have attended over 40 symphonies and as many opera’s. Believe me when I say that my house sounds like a concert hall. I can hear every single instrument as if they where playing in my home. I didn’t pay much more than 1500 dollars for my system, which consists of two Bose’s 601, Bose center channel, two Bose 201’s, for the rear surround, and a powered 10’ Yamaha YAM-YSTSW320 subwoofer. My cd’s are played on a Sony play station with an optical cable running into a $500 dollar Denon receiver. I tell you I have the best of both worlds. I get my symphonic reproductions, as well as top notch home theatre that rumbles my walls, leaps my out of my seat, and has me dogging bullets and laser blast, holy moly!

Purchased At:   NEX

Submitted by rise212 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Yamaha YST SW320 is an awesome piece of kit (and my expectations are high and exacting)which represents amazing value for money.
Having read many of the reviews posted on the site I can only imagine that the negative ones have been entered by folk who don't think 'creation' particuarly impressive--- or are victims of severe sound abuse at some level or other.

I play classical, jazz, rock, hip-hop, infact there is very little I don't play and if this unit is set-up and sorted with a decent front end machine it is almost flawless.

With regard to it being slow with music ? most speakers are (especially bass units) when very high spec cables have not been employed.

Unless you can afford triple the price the Yamaha is the answer---and how!

Purchased At:   Gift