Wharfedale SW250 Subwoofers

• Frequency Response: 30Hz-110Hz
  • Maximum SPL Crossover: 35Hz-85Hz

Submitted by murdox55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
after researching many subwoofers such as velodyne, sunfire, martin logan, etc., i settled in on the sw250. there are very few reviews on this unit...the ones i did find, had nothing negative to say about the sw250, whereas, there seemed to be one thing or another with all the other ones i looked at. my system is a sunfire tgll processor, sunfire 300x2 amp, and carver amazing platinum lV loudspeakers. a very nice sounding system as it is, yet it lacked that crystal clear deep bass i have heard in other systems. enter the sw250...it has all the features i was looking for to assure a good match with my system. even at mid to low levels, i can feel the vibrations throughout my body. the initial startup was a bit tricky in my particular case. i tried the subwoofer cable hookup which for some reason did not send enough of power to the sub. ( my best guess is that it has something to do with the bass management system built in to the processor). i tried the alternate hookup suggested by wharfedale, going directly to the power amp, and now the crystal clear powerful bass is truly amazing. the original msrp was 1295.00...now 700.00. i purchased mine, new out of the box for an unbelievably low price. i highly recommend this sub to anyone with a budget of around $500. you won`t be dissapointed.

Submitted by curtycurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I’ve owned many subwoofers in the past, some highly regarded. They all had their strengths and weaknesses. However, I must say that I have been most impressed by the Wharfedale SW-250. Weighing in at about 65 pounds, this excellent sealed sub is built with the robustness of a small safe! I was totally caught off guard by the weight when attempting to tote this thing upstairs to my theater room. Once, set-up and given a few days settle in, I was shocked at how powerful, tight, controlled and musical this sub is. It has excellent speed, slam and depth. It integrates seamlessly with the rest of my system and never sounds “over-the-top” with music or movies, always musical and balanced. The fact that it comes with a programmable remote is icing on the cake. The class a/b amp is rated at 250 watts, which doesn’t seem like a lot, when compared to the overinflated numbers of today’s “digital” subwoofer amps. However, I’m here to tell you that this 10-inch, 250 watter is one solid little beast. The “What Hi-Fi” review and 5-star rating is warranted on all fronts. I have this sub mated with Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s front/rear and a Diamond 9 CS center. I’ve heard about Wharfedale over the years, but have never owned any. However, of the many systems (there have been quite a few) I’ve owned, this Wharfedale system is the most musically satisfying of them all. The build and sound quality of this system is so far above its price point that it’s ridiculous! Highly recommended. http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Diamond-SW250/

Product model year:   2009