VMPS Large Subwoofer Subwoofers

4.89/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

6.2 cubic ft box,made of 1" thick mdf, with one 12" poly woofer with rubber surround and one 15" active poly woofer with foam surround, and one mass loaded 15 inch passive radiator tuned to 10 hz, and all internal wiring with 11 gauge monster cable .

Submitted by talldude777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Bottom Line:
All I can say is WOW! This big thing sounds tremendous. Mine came with passive crossovers installed, and I am only sending 120 clean watts per channel to this massive box and it sounds great. I can only imagine what it would sound like with an electronic crossover and a big amp connected. This completes my garage stereo system which consist of:
Denon DVD-2800II
harman/kardon HK-3480
Pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10B
VMPS Larger Subwoofer
Monster Power Supply
Monster Cable Z2 (these things look like black snakes!)

This VMPS Tallboy Larger Subwoofer sounds better than any other sub I have ever heard. It makes bass sound like it is supposed to sound.

Submitted by SleeperSupra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
Great bang for the buck. Chushes just about anything available in your local brick and mortar store...

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by ryandunk12345 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've finally completely replaced my entire stereo system. I have B&W DM602S3 for my mains, powered by a Rotel rb-1050. I have a Crown XLS402 to drive my subwoofer, works out perfectly, as the VMPS Larger subwoofer requires two channels of power! Originally this powered an SVS 20-39 CS+ . I'd have to say - that I was not impressed with this product. You'd notice that this particular SVS model has actually very good reviews, and I suppose for the money it's not that bad, probably better than most major brands, but I still felt that it didn't have the raw SPL that I was looking for, not to mention - for a 12" subwoofer, not particularly accurate or musical. luckily I was able to return it for a refund. I decided to go with the VMPS Larger - as this appeared to be much more along the lines of what I was looking for - the best of both worlds, a subwooefer with plenty of headroom, and the ability to play at INSANE levels! I'd have to say - that one of the first things I noticed about this was the quality of construction. I've never seen a subwoofer so well constructed! It's VERY heavy , about 135 pounds! But, it's SOLID! I'd have to say that I'm very impressed with this subwoofer! It is very musical, able to keep up with highly detailed sound, a flat response curve to atleast 20 Hz, if not lower - this thing has some real SLAM - it's incredibly powerful - this bad boy has some real authority to 20Hz and below! I can truly verify that this subwoofer can do 115dB@20 Hz - just as VMPS claims. I've got my handy radio shack SPL meter, and it certainly lives up to what they say it does. This is truly something to behold! I'm able to play video games over my computer, and it's got the raw power that is wonderful for games. Yet, this beast also happens to be nimble enough to be very musical! It's wonderful for classical, jazz, it truly shines nomatter what task you throw at it. After shipping, I ended up paying about 930$, I opted for the MegaWoofer option - where they upgrade your drivers to a much more powerful version - highly reccomended! I also got the SR-71 damping material inside. For a subwoofer that is under 1000$, this is a steal! I still can't believe the incredible sound - in both quantity and quality that comes out of this thing. The only thing better than one of these - is two! I couldn't imagine what having two of these would be like. Lastly, I'd have to say that after some tweaking to my crossover - this subwoofer blends seamlessly with my B&W mains - the SVS which I had before really never blended well. If you're looking for a fantastic subwoofer, look no further than the VMPS Larger subwoofer - but you really do need to get all the available upgrades to really get what you want.

Purchased At:   VMPS

Submitted by tsmurth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am a long-time audiophile. A few years ago I replaced my Hsu Research 10" stereo subs with a single Larger Subwoofer. Some of you may recall the rave reviews the original Hsu's got, and they were an excellent product. However, they could not go as deep or play anywhere near as loud as this sub. In my system the Larger Subwoofer is filtered at 63 hz and provides the bottom end for B&W 802 Series III loudspeakers. Both low and high pass crossover is courtesy of Audio Control Richter Scale. I have the sub in a large room (approx 300 square feet), running with a 200 wpc Soundcraftman amp; the sub is in a front corner; this location provides the flattest measured response at my listening position. Without any equalization, the sub measures flat to 20 hz. Applying EQ through the Richter Scale gives me 20-60hz with less than 3 dB total variation.

Even at insane volume levels with deep bass, I have never seen the clipping indicators on the Soundcraftsman light up, which is an indication of the high sensitivity of the Larger Sub. The sound is deep, tight and effortless, blending well with the B&W's. Feed this sub more power and it just gets louder, without any sense of strain. Equally at ease with music or movies.

I have the piano black finish; from a distance it looks very good but up close you will see that the overall finish is so-so. The cabinet seems quite inert, however. For the money you can't go wrong; probably the best buy I have made in my 30 years of audio purchases.

Purchased At:   HCM Audio

Submitted by pocketchange a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
First: Thank You Hugh, letting me know about VMPS Subs was great. I'm not one to spend money easily and this purchase was easy compaired to other buys.

E-Bay opened the door on this purchase with the previous owner wanting to upgrade his system (to each his own).

After deciding to lend a helping hand to an excellent set of main speakers and finding [the] smaller sub to audition, I spent a brief amount of time on E-Bay and located a Larger Sub.

Shock: no foolin, this IS BIG. To get it through the mail the drivers were removed and shipped seperately. After assembly and placing of the Sub in the corner, due to limited room size, I plugged it into the B side of my old freshly rebuilt SX1250 and let the games begin. Gad, what a killer. The surround sound people have nothing on this setup.

I have an old set of EV Patricians, which
due to size difficulties continue to sit in the corner of my Fathers home where they were built, I didn't want to remove the door casing to get them out of the house and the 25 ft. sq. room they are in works better than my current much smaller digs.

Brian (VMPS) was most pleasant in assisting me in the proper setup, considering I purchased the Larger Sub from E-Bay.
Thank You Brian, you are a sport.

I did purchase the updated crossover's but havn't used them since I've decided improving on near perfection would be a waste of time. Do they sound like a good set of Grado Headphones? Not quit, but their close.

Purchased At:   e-bay

need advice on reasonable priced subwoofer for large room

I am looking for a reasonabley priced subwoofer in white if possible. We don't watch a lot of TV so I don't want to spend a lot. Our kitchen, living room and dinning area are all one open space so I guess I need one that has some punch. Thank you all for your advice.Read More »

Subwoofer comes On anytime a large vehicle drive by.

I wonder if anybody else have this problem. Just moved to a new apartment on third floor (right next to busy street), and anytime a large truck or bus drives by, and system is off, I can hear subwoofer clicking On. The sub is one of those auto-signal-detecting type, and I'm assuming the vibratio ... Read More »