Velodyne Acoustics ULD-15 Subwoofers

4.56/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $1350.00

Submitted by Solo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought the ULD15 II new, somewhere around 20 years ago - can't recall the exact year. It's been in constant use since then in my music system, with one trip back to Velodyne when the foam surround disintegrated years ago. When the speaker itself is reconed or just the surround replaced, the speaker and controller have to be sent to Velodyne so they can adjust the controller to match the speaker characteristics. Now the service manual is available as a PDF for free download, so anyone with modest audio test equipment can go through the adjustments at home. The cabinet on mine looks as good as it did when it was brand new - no deterioration of the finish. It would have been nice if the low pass and high pass frequencies were adjustable with a switch or knob instead of having to solder resistors into an IC header. If you're looking for a sub to just reproduce explosions, look elsewhere. This sub is intended for reproducing very low musical notes and it does that as well as anything I've ever heard.

Submitted by brad1138 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
Got a steal on this, paid $100 and a couple hours of labor (wiring stereo equipment) for this, a Yamaha RX-V995, Adcom GFA-545 and more :) anyway, onto the review. Best sub I have ever heard/used. Fantastic for Surround sound - Literally shakes the walls. Very musical also.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by jwoldhagen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Bottom Line:

I have a ULD15 that I use wilth my A/D/S L1290's. I am using McIntosh MC275 (low) and a McIntosh(high) 240 tube amps to bi-amp the a/d/s. The ULD15 is a great match and fills the bottom end perfectly.

I also have ULD18 in my stand alone theater with all McIntosh equipment, again it is wonderful in this installaton. Stongly recomend the ULD series over some of the new subs that I have heard. For the money ($500 to $850) used they are a great value.
I have take the units to the factory and they have been most helpful in keeping them in order.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by D Cabaniss a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have owned numerous subwoofers in my 35 years of audio history. I just keep coming bacl to Velodyne, particularly the older models. Velodynes newer models, like the SPL series are crap! Shortly out of warrenty mine failed and cost a MINIMUM of $200 for them to look at it!! Forget taking it to a repair shop, they try to get the repair manual from Velodyne and are put out to dry and wait endlessly. I purchased a real nice ULD 15 model, rebraced the cabinet inside and WAM had an excellent sub woofer with it's own 400 wat power amp. II had a Velodyne CT 150.before and it was pretty good as well with a bit more flexability as this one. However the sound from this 1991 ULD model is very defined and articulate- quite honestly the best bass I ever remember experiencing. The outboard amp is set to 85hz but can be upgraded I am told.
So forget their disposable made stuff made today, spring for the much better made vintage Velodyne sub like this one . Old HIFI mag reviewers really loved this sub as well.

Purchased At:   local Internet/ Crai