Velodyne Acoustics SPL-1200R Subwoofers

The industry's best selling small subwoofers just got better with the perfect combination of beauty, brains and brawn. We took the original SPL Series II's 1000-watt RMS amps, long throw drivers, and compact, beautiful cabinets and added a 6-band automatic digital room equalizer with included mic, a remote control and full DSP control. The result is a subwoofer that adapts to any room's décor and acoustic anomalies with performance that leaves anything else in its class in the dust. The SPL-R Series - Small, Precise...Loud. Simply Perfect.

Submitted by Fat lazy slob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Listening Post in Christchurch sold me this terrible sub for 1800 at the begining of the year. I find the disturbing noise coming from this glossy black box to be scary. I have filled my pants several times during movies, and at times have seriously thought of throwing the sub out on the street.
Terrible in that I fear I may never go outside and enjoy the real world ever again. Scary in that my heart gets placed under strain while watching scary movies. The sub carries my emotion easily and I find myself carried along the path the director was aiming for far too easily. The build quality is good. I have pulled the amp out to inspect the way it's ben put together and was not disappointed at all. There are fuses inside. The factory lead is a bit light however, and I have replaced it with a 15 amp max lead. The Sub runs well both using the high level input as well as the RCA inputs. The finish is easy to keep clean and automotive car wax seems to bring thr finish back up to perfect scratch frre shine. The cover is made from a pretty ligh MDF and cheapens the rest of the materials a wee bit.

Bass should be felt as well as herd. This bass maching delivers. Yes there are better subs out there from this company and the new elite range is even better for more money. I think at this price point it's hard to beat even with the same brand. I tried a dd12 also and that was fricken awesome, but alas I only had the budget for this humble sub.

The rest of my stuff is Paradigm Monitor series speakers and a Yamaha VR-X1900 receiver, DVDS-1700, and wireworld cables. Yamaha DPX-830 projector and the Screen Technics Electricinema.

My advice, go get one before something happens.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by ThomasG a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
Just arrived today and I placed it in the opposite corner from my first SPL1200R.
My wife refused to buy me one last Christmas so in the spirit of Thanksgiving I bought my second SPL1200R for a 900.00 delivered. Early today (prior to the twin subs arrival) my daughter was watchig Polar Express and you could feel the train traveling through the house. This subwoofer is excellent for music and home theater. Having listened to the first one for a year I have developed a true appreciation of the 1200r. I usually listen to jazz and my wife enjoys classical music. The sub performs perfectly with the jazz bass strings and kick drums,
and is completely awesome with deep organ and orchestral tympany. I have set up the second sub which took about 5 minutes with the EQ test tones and, having the cable and mic out, ran the EQ on the original one. I ran the test tones through my denon with my decibel meter to match the pair of subs to the the other speakers and now we are off and running. I use the subs only in reference mode and I have never had to have the volume higher than 40 for movies. The matched pair should allow for greater visceral effect at lower volumes. Sirbwilly
will have to put the pair to the test.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Taginusa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
The SPL1200R VELODYNE is a remarkable subwoofer that is worth every dollar I paid. Amazingly small footprint for a solid enclosure. This sub reveals things my other subs did not. I had two 12" solid enclosure subwoofers, one in each corner. I replaced them with the SPL 1200R. I have only used it in the Jazz/Reference mode because it is so fast and powerful I do not see the need to increase the gain with the EQ presets. A friend of mine has been a Velodyne fan for many years and he finally convinced me to try one. Sirbwilly was right. They do make your system better. Now I want another one to place in the other corner to perfect the set-up.
SPL small..precise..loud
SPL small..powerful..low....
Get one and put it to the test. You will not be disappointed. My wife does not know it yet but she will be getting me another one for Christmas. YESSSSSSSSSS.

Purchased At:   Digital Craze

Submitted by ham500 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am using this subwoofer with a top of the line Pioneer 59txi flagship rcvr and all Klipsch reference speakers in 6.1 surround home theater. This sub has great deep extension and power. The EQ with supplied mic works great to make it easy to place it almost anywhere in your room. The remote is nice and small and allows you to do many things while sitting in your sweet spot. The cabinet is one of the best looking and quality constructed I have seen at any price level so far. Owners manual easy to understand and not complicated and tech support seems very helpful if you do have questions by phone or email. I highly reccomend this sub to anyone willing to spend over $1000 for a fairly small sub that is less than 55 pounds and beautiful and should have a high wife acceptance factor! Enjoy!

Purchased At:   Tweeter ETC

Submitted by Roy Fowler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great sub with remote control for eq settings and adjusting volume, phase and even to bypass sub altogether to see and compare sound without sub on. I have had this sub about a month or so and I run all klipsch reference speakers in my 6.1 suround system with what was the very top of the line pioneer receiver a couple of years ago, the 59txi elite receiver. What I did was run the eq on the sub first then ran the eq on the receiver after that. The sub eq all freq below where the receiver eq system leaves off. The blue led light on the front of the sb can be shut off if it bothers you but my sub is hidden anyway so it is not a factor. I have had some good subs like sunfire and mirage and the like so its not like I have not had quality small sub. This sub hs quality contruction and the cabinet is very handsome...one of the best looking subs ever built! All black laquer finish on mine although you can get it cherry too. Sound is powerful as stated with other review and very musical and def not boomy. One thing that stands out that didnt with my other subs is that...when it is sitting in quiet passages you cant hear anything. It is perfectly quiet sub..no clicks when it turns on or off that I have heard either! Extremely low distortion probably almost as low as the velodyne series right above this series of subs. Feet on the sub come already installed on the bottom and are nice firm rubber spike like feet...nice touch. Eq can be defeated by resetting the subwoofer from the remote if you want to and get it back to like out od the box. I agree about the jazz music setting I tink it is the best tighttest deepest setting with the lowest sub filtering. I highly suggest giving this sub a listen to...it has a lot going for it and it is beautiful in your room if folks happen to see it!

Purchased At:   Tweeter etc