Velodyne Acoustics SPL-1000 Subwoofers

4.94/5 (17 Reviews)

10" forward firing driver 750W RMS power 24-120 Hz

Submitted by black321 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
Seamless addition to my system...really complements my two front B&W 805s. Very musical, but adds excitement to movies too.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Ironskull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Full Review
Velodyne specializes in the sub-woofer field of audio so it shouldn't be a surprise to hear such deep precision sound coming from such a small box but it was. Every time I listen to it serve up a house shaking soundtrack from, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or torpedo explosions from, In Search of Red October or heart-pounding bass from the Montroux jazz festival I'm blown away. My surround system consists of a pair of $5000.00 Kef 201 reference floor-standing mains, Polk dual-cone 6.5" center and Polk for surround, left, right and rear center. I use a Samsung dvd-hd 931 hi-def dvd player bolted to a $7000.00 Mitsubishi 73" rear projection TV. I subscribe to VOOM which delivers 25 channels of Hi-Def movies, HBO, etc, directly to my sunfire amp via fiber optical. My system is no slouch and at the heart of it is the Velodyne SPL-1000

Purchased At:   6th Ave.com

Submitted by Wboro a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just added this Velodyne SPL-1000 subwoofer to my high-end two-channel system and I am just blown away . . . by the incredible improvement it makes in overall sound! I understood that ducting the base to a separate amp and speaker would reduce the stress on my primary speakers but I had no idea the difference it would make. If you have a high-end system you HAVE to experience the difference a top quality subwoofer will make. I choose the SPL-1000 because my wife didn't want yet another big speaker in the room (my main speakers are Thiel 3.5's). It slips into the room virtually unnoticed - except for the quantum improvement in sound. If you have a high-end system, go ahead, take one of these babies home and hear how good it can be!

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this tinney sub. The bass is so clear and crisp I could hardley belive me ears and my eyes. I have had it for about 2 months and I still can not belive how small it is. At liest for the sound quality.

Submitted by clarky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This sub is so good, my whole system sounds great. I'm gonna have to rethink my upgrade plan regarding the other components. My M&K MX125 died after 8 years, and I was skeptical the SPL-1000 was not a suitable replacment given its small size. Not only was it a suitable replacement, its in a completely different league. The SPL-1000 is well worth its price.