Velodyne Acoustics HGS-15 Subwoofers

4.86/5 (29 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

Introducing the next wave in Velodvne technology-the HGS Series-delivering powerful, low distortion bass from an elegant ultra-small black gloss cabinet. Simply put, big sound from a very small box. The updated servo controlled system is linked to unique Dual Tandem voice coil speakers driven by a Class D amplifier that delivers more than 3000 watts of peak power. The HGS Series is the ultimate choice for any system including custom home theater applications, with only a single, front-firing driver allowing easy, unobtrusive installation.

Submitted by crizzy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best sounding subs there is when working but the amplifiers in these are total garbage. The servo goes bad, the amp itself goes bad. The rated power on the amp is also total BS. This amp is maybe 300 watts RMS max. Take the plate amp off and it weighs like 4 pounds.

If your amp goes (which it will for sure), don't waste your money getting it fixed. Just take the plate amp off, fill in the small opening that the wires come out of and get a powerful external amplifier to power it. I put a 2500 watt pro audio amp to it and it sounds better by FAR than it ever sounded with the cheap plate amp even with the servo unhooked. Super tight bass wth NO boominess. 20 Hz now comes through as strong as 80 Hz. This thing hits hard even on subsonic frequencies. Amazing.

Submitted by sheldaze a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
An audiophile I thought I was. But the more electronics I listen to, the more I realize I will continue to hear things I have never heard before. In this subwoofer I have heard several good things I have not heard in my two previous subwoofer purchases, an HGS-12 series 2 in my theater and a DD12 in my stereo room. Note that I use the Velodyne SMS-1 equalizer in my theater room with the HGS-15, and listened to the equalized sound for this review. I had the SMS-1 equalized with my HGS-12, and re-calibrated it for the HGS-15.

Most of the reviews I read here speak of sheer output capability. The HGS-15 does play sounds to low frequencies and at high decibel levels. I re-watched the battle scenes from Gods and Generals on DVD, with high expectations from having heard live Civil War ammunition in Winchester, VA, and having seen the movie at the Senator Theater, the only movie theater in the Washington, DC area that sounds consistently better than the sound at home. With this subwoofer, I am finally pleased with the realism of the battle sound.

And that is more the point of my review. The thing that surprised me most about this subwoofer is how correct the sound is, more correct than I thought possible from a subwoofer. It disappears into the room. I've read reviews about subwoofers that supposedly do this, but had not a clue what the reviewers were speaking of until I bought and listened to this subwoofer. My old subwoofers hid themselves fairly well, but I could immediately tell that a sound was subwoofer in origin vs. a main speaker sound. My theater main speakers play down to 30Hz, but if I plan to listen to stereo while in the theater room, the best sound is attained by crossing over all sounds to the subwoofer at 80Hz.

This subwoofer is more clean, or so my sensitive right ear tells me. All Velodyne HGS and DD subwoofers are engineered to play with very little distortion. This one plays with less audible strain than my old HGS-12. I feel more comfortable in my theater listening to movies at a higher volume than before. The subwoofer announces its presence much less -- it simply plays the sound and quickly gets out the way of the next sound.

And because the sound is better, I am able to focus more easily on all sounds, coming from the subwoofer and all other speakers. I hear more sounds, even at the same volume level I used before. Strings are strings and percussion is percussion and all other bass sounds play with a distinct acoustic timbre -- this is in direct comparison with the DD-12. And with my ears more relaxed on the bass sounds, I am able to hear more of the higher frequency sounds from the main speakers. The speakers in my theater are not meant to play as nicely as the speakers in my stereo room, but they sound much closer in fidelity now that the subwoofer has stepped out of the way and I can focus on them.

This subwoofer is a gentle giant.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Bohner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very capable of performing it's design function. I have Martin-Logan Aerius as stereo mains. The cross over allows for a fine matching as the M/L 8" woofers are wholly incapable of providing any meaningful bass. (Nor were they meant to.)
The warranty is two years, parts and labor. My amplifier failed about two years and 10 months after purchase. It will cost $515 to repair. The amplifier module is self-contained and replaced as a whole.
The authorized repairman states that it looks just fine. It just doesn't work. I asked if there was a possibilty of a voltage problem, do I need to provide added protection?
He said it couldn't be determined.
I attempted to email Velodyne. They have no web address for us consumers. They do provide a phone number.
Since I am willing to pay for performance, and this unit is now not performing, a determination needs to be made as to this products longevity. The warranty for the repair is 90 days for parts and labor! $515 for a 90 day factory parts/factory authorized repair warranty! Is it just me or does this sound unreasonable?
The strange thing is that my wife is not normally appreciative of the output from this unit and therefore it is lightly used. With servo-control I don't know how you could over-load the amp anyway.
So you are warned.
If any one else has suffered this acoustic/financial wounding, please contact me. I am a bit of an activist.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by mustang50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Incredible bass output at any volume. Able to blend with any system. In one word "Unreal" sound output with this baby. The looks of this sub is incredible as well. Makes a nice piece of furniture. Does need a break in period. But give it time and listen to the way the sub changes it is awesome. Morspped and accuracy than one will ever need. My cht 15 cannot keep up with this thing...so off to auction it goes.. All other positive reviews are right on and the advice is what compelled me to buy one of these. I cant wait to get a second one and run as a stereo pair. Well nuff said run out and buy one and you wont be dissapointed.

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the best sub imagineable. There isn't anything that can hit this low and hard. Like other reviews state at first I wasn't that impressed but after it had a chance to break in, WOW!! There's such a difference! Has knocked pictures off the walls and things off shelves. Will annoy all you live with when they're trying to sleep along with giving them headaches! Is better with movies than music but do WONDERFUL with both!