SVS Model 20-39PCi Subwoofers

4.88/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Custom US-built SVS long-throw 12" driver SVS designed, full-featured 320 watt Bash (R) digital switching amp Flush-mount amp configuration Computer Assisted Design (CAD) cylindrical enclosure Exclusive SVS down-firing woofer with integrated base-plate Compliant disk floor mounts, low center of gravity Precision tuned high-flow ports

Submitted by darkblueme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
I really just want to say what an AMAZING SUBWOOFER SVS makes. Holy s&*$! The Cylinder 20-39 PCi arrived today, and... I can't find the right words to describe how awesome it is... THANK YOU so much to those of you on Blu-Ray.com who suggested I go with SVS. By far, it is the best thing I ever could have done for my home theater. The Polk Audio RTI A7's are a close second in performance, but WOW!! The SVS Cylinder subwoofer is something to be reconned with.

It's a little big in appearance, but you seriously FEEL it on the floor, in the walls, and in your very being. My girlfriend sat on the couch and watched a few seconds of 'I Am Legend' before saying. "Oh my God... I can feel it just below my ribcage!"

If anyone else is reading this thread and thinking of MAYBE getting an SVS sub... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST DO IT! You will NOT be disappointed.

BEST HOME THEATER PURCHASE EVER!!

Purchased At:   SVSsound.com

Submitted by snds2good a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
What can anyone say that hasn't been said about the SVS 20-39 PCI? Wow! I spent 5 months auditioning various Subs and none were that impressive. About that time I started to research the reviews and the name SVS kept popping up. No place to audition this brand so I took a chance based on the research. Man this is the best investment I ever made for a sound system period. Three audiophile friends were over for my Kids B-day party, so I popped in the DVD-Matrix Revolution just to show off the SVS and lo and behold my family room was standing room only in minutes. The three audiophiles jaws dropped as well as the other partygoers as they were bombarded consistently with 100 dB of sub 20 Hz LFE. There were so many shaking heads after that movie, that I popped in a kiddie movie (Finding Nemo). Again I was consistenly asked if the 7.1 Sound system was really a Richter Scale number and if my neighbors were complaining? I have a rather large family Room with wood floors on a concrete slab that was shaking during many a scenes of the Matrix Revolution. Made me wonder if I should have gotten the 20-39 PCi plus, so I could tune for 10-12 Hz? Naw, I'd probably get a call from the USGS if I did. I highly recommend this sub to any HT/Audiophile, as it is just as revealing in the music enviroment as it is in the HT. Musically, I have replayed all my old GRP-Digital Masters CDs like the Rippingtons and David Benoit for nuances in the low frequencies I never heard before. Man the smile on my face was ear to ear and the 7 RCA-LX-550s w/ the Linaeums were totally unburdened with the LFE that they became invisible like I was at a live performance. Too Much!!!

Submitted by Petergaryr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 20-39PCI to replace a Velodyne CHT12 (which is another fine product) that I was moving into the bedroom.

After living with the SVS for well over a year, I can safely say it is the best sub I have owned thus far. As will all subs, however, you must take the time to properly calibrate it so that it's sound blends in with the rest of your system. This could easily overpower.

One characteristic is that this sub produces bass only when it is in the source material. For those who are used to a sub that creates a "thump" no matter what, these may at first appear to be "bass shy". They are far from that.

On movies with a solid LFE such as "I, Robot", these will produce room rattling bass. However, passages where there isn't, and shouldn't be bass content are just that: natural.

Music CDs are another area of possible misunderstanding. Unless there is deep bass in the recording itself, the SVS will not produce any artificial bass. While this seems logical, it is sometimes the trait that causes a possible initial disappointment with the sound of SVS. This will be noticed if your previous sub was a "boom box".

However, when the recording has true bass, it can be breathtaking. As an example, I have the recording pf Resphigi's the Pines of Rome on London CD. Throughout most the piece, the bass is natural and not otherwise remarkable. However, in the final movement, the bass drum and organ come in, and loose objects in the room start to rattle. The effect is startling, and precisely the way it should be.

Submitted by Racki17 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
After much research on versatile subwoofers, I decided to take the plunge and go for the 20-39PCi. I've spent a couple of weeks with this thing now and I have mixed feelings. The bass is certainly tight and accurate, blending well with my old JBL N38 mains. But for 600 bucks and a whole lot of room real estate, I really expected to be "feeling" the bass a whole lot more. I've moved this beast all around the room and even tried moving it to another apartment and nothing added the tactile feel I think is missing. Not to say I don't like the sub (I'm still undecided on whether or not to keep it), it's just that I expected more. I'm not getting "kicked in the chest" like I thought I would, and very few things are rattling in my room.

Purchased At:   svsubwoofers.com

Submitted by shokhead a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
Killer low end. I could have gotten by with a 25-31 but as most SVS owners do,they get one one click to high as they just kill other subs. Its just as good for music as it is for movies and i dont belive in a misical sub. Good or bad sub and this thing will rock you.