SVS Model 16-46PCi Subwoofers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $649.00

Custom US-built SVS long-throw 12" driver SVS designed, full-featured 320 watt Bash (R) digital switching amp Flush-mount amp configuration Computer Assisted Design (CAD) cylindrical enclosure Exclusive SVS down-firing woofer with integrated base-plate Compliant disk floor mounts, low center of gravity Precision tuned high-flow ports

Submitted by Michel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
Some years ago, when I came back with this 'hot water tank' style sub, I was not sure what to do with it. I first put it right beside my seatback, put the film Brotherhood of the wolf, and waited… Boy, was I rocked! I had previously owned some decent subs (Paradigm, Kef), and I since heard a Velodyne DD12. I now understand why a specialist compared the Velodyne and the SVS: power. sheer power. Depth, precision and musicality also. The guy who sold the SVS told me my neighbours would become my enemies. I laughed but understand now what he meant. But hey, what the heck: one you heard the beast, you become addicted to it. Many say the SVS 16-46 still represents to this day the most value for the buck. I confirm and add: whatever the price, it is worth it. The SVS truly adds a new dimension to your home cinema and music experience.

I use the SVS in a 9.2 system: Onkyo TX-NR808 to preamp and Rotel RB-1090 to amp the two Magnepan 2.7QR main speakers; the Onkyo amps five Kef and another Kef sub, right beside my chair, and finally two Bose mini for the ambiance. A Cambridge Azur 650BD for the Blu-rays and SACDs. SVS interconnects and cables.

Submitted by micah4 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer is absolutely amazing. If your budget is in the $600-$700 range, I really don't believe you can do better than this sub. Everything about the SVS subwoofers screams quality and attention to detail. The guys who design and build these explosive tubes truly love what they do, and you can hear it.

Purchased At:   www.svsubwoofers.com

Submitted by willscary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned this sub for well over a year now. Recently I purchased new Axiom M80 speakers, the VP150 center and the QS-8 surrounds. After setup and calibration I was immediately thrilled by the huge upgrade in sound over my old speakers. After a few weeks of break in...this setup is SWEET!

As unbelievably good as these new speakers sound, my SVS still stands out. The bass floor is undeniably better than the bass on any other systems I have heard. When I reviewed this sub over a year ago (see first review), I had only calibrated it with my other speakers. The impact, musicality, and depth was amazing. Shortly after writing the review, I added a Behringer Feedback Destroyer 2 channel 12 band fully parametric EQ to smooth out the room response of the sub. While the sub is very musical, an instrument like the BFD really helps to tame room induced frequency peaks, further improving the tightness and response of the sub. Visitors to our home looked at the big black tube and either laughed or rolled their eyes. Then they heard my system and they began to understand! My wife is very happy we have it, even though she hated the looks when we got it.

Since getting the Axioms, which are a much higher quality speaker than my old setup (and play deeper, allowing a better blending of the SVS), I am even more impressed with the 16-46PCi. Even after spending almost $2000 on a fantastic speaker upgrade, the SVS still is the anchor of the system.

I could get subjective, but I decided it would be better if I just reiterated the idea that the SVS is easily the piece of my equipment that I could not do without. It is THE most important part of my system. It is THAT good!

There are newer versions with begger amps and beefier drivers, but this sub plays plenty loud in my 17' X 24' room. It plays tight and deep. If you like to play your bass 4 or 5db hot (I do not), maybe the plus or ultra series are for you. If you want a great sub at a rock bottom price, buy the 16-46 PCi or one of the other PCi series. You will not regret it!

Purchased At:   SVS

Submitted by drdoan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
How do you add to all that has been said about SVS subs? I have owned several subs including: Paradigm Servo-15 (A great sub!), Paradigm PDR-12, Mirage 8",Audio Pro Evidence with Ace Bass, Sylvania SL-1200 (only bettered by the SVS and Servo-15),Sony 12", homemade 12" in a 4 cu ft box, etc. The 16-46PCi is the clear winner! The Servo-15 is a fantastic sub and I had a couple of years to enjoy it, but, the SVS is tighter, can play louder, and is more controlled both musically and for HT. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't heard the SVS for myself. Now I know what "tight" bass means. My HT room is about 1750 cu ft. I can easily over power the room with the SVS set to less than half volume! It is a great way to find out how solid your house is! I haven't even equalized it yet. I waited for over 8 months before buying the 16-46PCi and I am totally satisfied with it! Last night, I measured the sock explosion in Monsters, Inc at 110 db with the spl meter about 8 feet away from the sub (receiver set to Dolby reference of 75 db)! Please, do yourself a favor and get one.

Purchased At:   SVS-website

Submitted by keir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
My first subwoofer was a sony sa-wm40. I upgraded to the svs because the sony didn't go low or powerful enough for my movie tastes. the svs has been tremendous. my only problem is that my home theater is in a basement with a concrete floor so i miss out on a lot of the room shaking effect. if i walk upstairs above the subwoofer the floor vibrates madly under my feet :) i have the subwoofer calibrated flat with the other channels and it can reach reference level bass, even with star wars episdode 2, in my pretty large room. i dont listen that loud because my bookshelf speakers (or maybe my receiver) start to strain at those volumes. plus its just too loud to be comfortable. the svs basically has more headroom than i can use :). just keep in mind that i have it calibrated flat, most people will put a subwoofer at +8-10 dB (twice as loud as the other speakers) without realizing it. you should definately get an spl meter and test disc ($60 for both) if you spend this much on your subwoofer. the accuracy of the svs deserves nothing less than to have it level matched with your system.

Purchased At:   svsubwoofers.com