SVS 16-46PC-Plus Subwoofers

525 watt RMS BASH amplifier 16 Hz tuning point (variable to 12Hz) +/- 3 dB 16 Hz-100 Hz 46" tall, 16" in diameter

Submitted by steelneal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
A friend told me to check into SVS cylindrical subs - I have never looked back. I debated some time over which size and model, and selected the 16hz, 46" tall PCi-Plus model based on reviews and money available. This thing is huge, and the 70+ pound package can break your back when it arrives. I was just able to squeeze it into the back seat of my Contour with the front seats pulled forward.
Unbelievable bass! Running low frequency test notes is a strain on my building structure. My ears don't detect much below 25Hz from the speaker, but the pipes banging in the next room are testimony to that waves being produced. The nuclear explosion in Sum of All Fears and the Earth's explosion in Titan A.E. are great for showing off to friends. Cannon fire on Band of Brother raps your chest like you are getting slugged.
I have also run some Peter Gabriel SACD across the system and was impressed by the smothness that the sub rolls on. More musical than I had expected.
I dialed the bass in big, but the big top end of my B&W speakers do well to maintain balance. You hear the explosion and that person dropping their keys this way.

Purchased At:   SVS Online

Submitted by skribnod a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow....thats about it !! This sub rocks hard. I have had this subwoofer for less than 3 months but amazingly keeps impressing me ! Very nice looking (well at least i think so but the girlfriend says its too big) easilly fits into any corner and takes up less floor space than most box subs. Works perfect with my home theatre setup and blends in sonically. Very good people to deal with and very helpfull. Quick response on email and phone calls trying to figure out a small problem. I'm going to buy a second one just so i can move all the furniture around upstairs without having to lift a finger. :)

Purchased At:   svs subwoofer

Submitted by raynist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Was first impressed with the customer service I received from Tom V at SVS. He actually recommended a cheaper sub, but I am greedy.

This thing is so huge! Luckily it hides behind my projection TV, so the WAF was not really an issue. I was using a Paradigm PS-1200 subwoofer before this which I thought was awesome. Boy was I wrong!! While the Paradigm sub did its job, I had no idea how much bass it was not producing. The 'Coming Mother' scene in the "Haunting" DVD is unbelievable. It shakes my couch so much it feels like I have bass shakers installed. I have this in a 6000 cubic foot room and I could not imagine needing anymore bass than this.

I really wonder if the previous reviewer used Avia and an SPL meter to calibrate this sub, there is absolutly nothing boomy about it if it is calibrated. Also, they are not reviewing the PC+ version, but the CS+ version.

Purchased At:   svsubwoofers.com

Submitted by imkennyg2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Look no further. If you want a sub that can do structural damage to your house, then this is it! Not recommended for apartment dwellers. I was looking at subs in the $1200+ range but really didn't want to spend that much. Then I heard about SVS. All the reviews I read were positive and how you can't get a better bang for your buck. Also how good the customer service is. Well they were right. I emailed them a detailed drawing of my room and a list of my equipement and they promptly emailed me back advising me which sub to buy and where to place it. I was impressed so I placed an order. I ordered one of their B stock (hard to come across) 16-46 PC+ subs to save even more money. I was expecting some flaws, but when it came it looked perfect. Then I hooked it up. Wow! I was impressed. It sounded even better after a couple days when the cable burned in. This sub has too much power! I tried to set it up by ear but it just wasn't right so I bought a sound meter and calibration disc (just like SVS advised) and set it up. That made a difference. The gain control is only about 1/4th up and this baby rocks! I was watching Tomb Raider and during chapt 10 the room was rumbling and shaking so hard I thought the walls and windows were going to crack! I don't think you can get a sub that goes this deep and clean for twice the price, and it's tunable down to 12hz if you dare! The phase conrol allows it to blend well with any speakers. I'm using Vandersteen Model 3's, which go down to 27hz on their own and it blends like it was made for them. I bought a sub mostly for home theater but it sounds great with music also. I'm glad I discovered SVS before plunking down $1200+ for another sub that might not have even performed as well. With their 45 day return policy you can't go wrong.

Purchased At:   SVS

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I owned a Paradigm PS-1000 for the last year and was not happy with it. It produces good clean bass, just not enough of it on movies. I wanted to be kicked in the chest during explosions! I have been trying to buy a Paradigm Servo 15 used and only wanted to spend 800.00. I didn't even consider SVS because they were too cheap new. I just figured you get what you pay for and if I could get a sub that retailed for 2000.00 new, and buy it used for 800.00, it would be way better than a sub that was only 875.00 new. But I couldn't stop reading all the great reviews these subs were getting, and with SVS offering a 45 return policy I figured I'd take the chance.
My SVS 16-46-PC PLUS arrived and I hooked it up, thru in my Superbit version of "Knight's Tale" and sat down for what I thought would be the best bass I've heard in my theater. WRONG ! It was no better than my Paradigm. I hung my head and went to do a couple other things and a buddy of mine showed up to watch a moie. We put in The Fast and the Furious and WOW WOW WOW ! The bass was just what I wanted. The first dvd just does not have much bass in it's audio tract. The next day I watched a couple other DVD's that SVS list's for bass demo's. THEY ALL ROCKED. I had to turn the bass down. I thought I'd NEVER have to do that. The bass is clean and it STOPS instantly. NO ROLL OFF. I couldn't be happier. I hear of guys that buy 2 subs. I have a room that is dedicated to home theater, have plenty of room, love bass, but 2 of these would be extreme overkill. So I probably won't buy another one for a few months! HAHAHA
As far as listening to cd's, it is excellent! I played bass guitar for years and you can decipher each note with this sub. After hearing it, I can honestly say that if it retailed for 3000.00 and someone wanted to sell me their's for 1500.00, I WOULD PAY IT. What an incredible sub !!!

Purchased At:   SVS

Multiple IDs under IP 49.213.16.207

Hey John, I checked out a post by new user MaryMSnowdon that was spam. I found five IDs under the same IP address. All the IDs were a woman's first name, middle initial, and last name. A couple of the IDs had posted but not all of them. I've banned them all and deleted the spam posts. I'm letting ... Read More »

ZBass 580 or Harman Kardon SB-16?

I can't decide which would be better. I do have room for a sub. Both would fit the available space. They're somewhat close in price but I see mixed reviews. I won't want to spend more than $600. Any thoughts?Read More »

Black Soul Choir - 16 HP still delivers the 90s

Listening to both of the first 2 long players from Sixteen Horsepower today, "Sackcloth 'n' Ashes" and "Low Estate", and just felt that I had to say something. There's a few fans here, and we may all have our favorites, but what a great couple records. "Black Soul Choir" up at song of the day right ... Read More »

Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5

Hey everyone. I guess I will start by updating my fellow audio brothers on a couple of things. First of all, I am sure some of you are wondering how it is that I am hemmoraging cash at a warp speed rate. Well...I did not win a lottery. I actually switched jobs, more specifically, i was stole ... Read More »

16 Horsepower DVD-A

Wow! Something I never expected to come across, on a dead format no less. Anyway, 16 HP's [i]Secret South[/i] album from 2000 is available as a 5.1 DVD-A (48kHz, 24-bit) and sounds great! Maybe I should check into if any Woven Hand made it to DVD-A.Read More »