Sunfire True Subwoofer Subwoofers

4.18/5 (84 Reviews) MSRP : $1250.00

Powered subwoofer, 2 10-in drivers

Submitted by cory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a great subwoofer but has to be paired up properly. For a compact subwoofer this thing can easily get down to 22Hz and shake any house. For the deep throaty sound of muscle cars in movies like "Gone in 60 Seconds" & The "Fast and the Furious" Series, this subs makes it feel like the car is right there in your living room, you can almost smell the rich exhaust its so realistic.

However, I have noticed with many Sunfire subs that they roll off at about 80Hz. Sunfire says that its closer to 100Hz, which is probably true, but if you are using a smaller speaker system (as I am), then there seems to be a gap in the low frequency. Many speakers that claim to go down to 80Hz are more like 100-110, at least and a comfortable volume.

So i Say if you have some nice towers, this sub will REALLY enhance your systemm with no distorion, no heat (due to Sunfire's amazing Tracking Downconverter technology) and plenty of LOWWWW bass.
BUT!!!
If you have a smaller satellite or small bookshelf system you may do as I've done and get a 2nd ported sub to help give that Punchy, Impact bass like from a kick drum.

I recently connected a Velodyne Minivee matched with a set of Sunfire CRM-2's (small, 8 inches tall, ribbon speakers AMAZING!!!!) This was my first experience with the Velodyne Minivee. I was very very happy with the blending, The CRM-2's are rated down to 100Hz but cannot go any lower. The Velodyne blended beautifully and gave a very clean tight bass that sound spectacular with the Sunfire speakers. I only wish that I had installed a more powerful amplifier for to drive the speakers.

Purchased At:   Custom Acoustix

Submitted by blitzer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had this at my house for a while back in the day and returned it due to boomyness. Many of the review I read here tell the same story. I have personally had friends that say they have this great musical sub with 0 boomyness. I go over there and think it is terrible. To each there own. I have 2 friends who have a Bose system where they think it is the best sound in the world. I sit there listening in pain while smiling and nodding my head.

I detect that there are 2 things going on here given the polarity of reviews here. 1. difference of opinion and too large of a standard deviation in quality.

Submitted by gogo8 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love my Sunfire. Clean, low and accurate. However, I recently moved to a 2nd floor apartment and I was having trouble getting the same bass response I was so accustomed to listening to. I had to find a "tweak".

I went to Lowe's in search of a solid, flat surface that I could use to decouple the subwoofer from the floor. I found 12"x12" patio stones that were approximately 1-1/2" thick. Each one weighs 22 pounds. I bought one stone, one can of black paint, some adhesive tack putty and I already had some points from Parts Express.

I got home and spray painted the gray stone over to black. One dry, I applied the points to the underside of the stone with liquid nails. Since the underside was not going to be seen, I was generous with the stuff. Once dry, I applied four quarter size balls of adhesive putty and place the subwoofer on top. For those that own a Sunfire, you know how heavy the sub is. The sub is firmly in place.

So was the tweak successful? I believe so!! The bass had the accurate attack and decay that I was used to. The lows seemed tighter and bass notes had increased detail. Prior to the tweak, I had a large picture frame on the wall that never rattled. Now the frame rattles. I guess I have to find a tweak for that as well.

Give it a try, I think you might be impressed with what you hear.

Happy listening!!

Submitted by Les a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I used this unit for about 2 months and couldn't find a good integration with my M-L Aerius i's. Tried all of the methods of placement and crossovers (high / low, crossover frequencies, etc.), but couldn't get it smooth - we nicknamed it the boombox - (movie time? - turn on the boombox!). I was trying it out against a HSU 1220 at the time, and could not find a way to integrate seamlessly, which the HSU did virtually without effort. The Sunfire seems to have a very "electronic" sound.
I didn't have near the amount of problem integrating the other subs mentioned above as I did with the Sunfire - the effort with it didn't seem worth the results.
For H/T, the Sunfire is fine, as explosions and effects get to the bottom octaves, for music, try something else. I sold my Sunfire to a friend who's into H/T, and he's having a ball with it.

Submitted by Mark Lawyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
If yours is distorting remove the twelve screws around the outside perimeter of the control plate and slide out. There are two 10 amp fast-acting fuses on the PC Board. Check these. Mine sounded fine except for occasional distortion at certain frequencies. It was NOT constant. One of these fuses was blown. Now it sounds GREAT. I hope this saves someone some grief. I lived with this for over a year before I finally checked it out. Though I love the sound, these are so expensive I can only give three stars for value. I mean, the Cerwin-Vega 12s are only $300. But then, if you want to fill up an auditorium with sound ....