Sony SA-WX900 Subwoofers

Sony SA-WX900 1000 Watt Active Subwoofer

Submitted by ds2000 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am going to reiterate the idea that I too just do not know how Sony sold this for so little. but its limited distribution is a clue. Probably cost them an arm and a leg, but during the years of manufacture, the PS2 was layering the co. with money. I would imagine the r&d monies were there to be had, hence a product like this for 600.00US if one could be found. Probable made no more than 10K of them in toal, and probably took a loss on them.
Now for the meat. I took a look at the magnet structure on the lower woofer with a bright flashlight, and man oh man. Double stacked magnets, cast frame, large voice coil, and some ultra stiff cellulose cone material. Team this with a B&O ICE amp module with huge output in a very well braced rigid cabinet and what can go wrong.
It can energize a room with low frequency material when needed, but is never slow or cumbersome sounding.

Beats out my Linn Sizmik 12.45.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by tmorse1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
Read about this sub mostly on european review sites and decided to get one, ordered and then told not available by two on-line retailers. I found one at ibuydigital (excellent service by the way) and have only used it breifly but it has already exceeded my expectation. I have it wired in with two Cerwin Vega d-9's with 15" woofers that already go low (24 or 25hz) so I was worried that I would have to spend a lot of money to enhance what I already had. This sub is HUGE, HEAVY and has top notch components, how Sony built it and is selling it for less than $600 is beyond me. Final words... You can buy 2 of anything that any mass merchandiser is selling and this thing will absolutely without any doubt... smoke em!

Purchased At:   ibuydigital.com

Submitted by BLIND_BAT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I heard about this great sub and had read many reviews which prompted me to get one of these.
I had quite high expectations of it even before I unpacked it, despite not being able to audition it before purchase.
I was impressed by it's size, build and weight, and it's design, using two high excurtion 12 inch drivers in a sealed box and I knew this thing was going to not be one of those nasty boom boxes.
From when a friend and I set it up and started listening, we were both pleasantly surprised, that's before even fine-tuning the settings.
Musically the SA-WX900 is tight and clean due to it's high 1000 W RMS continuous digital power and it's sealed design. Make no mistake, although been at that price bracket, it out plays my previous Yamaha YST-WS800 in pace, depth and power (The yamaha was an excellent sub, although a ported design, and tight and fast in it's price category).
The Sony sounds big and authoritative, without taking over the music.
I had my windows (And microwave oven in the kitchen) rattling to music at very concervative volumes never heard of with my previous subs, this thing thus hits low down cleanly.
When raising the volume, the couches started vibrating, and this leads onto home theatre performance with action movies (Not my choice of listening). Explotions really shook the furniture and hammered our chests. I'm hardly ever able to really push the limits as I stay in a close housing complex, and I was once able to get my Yamaha SW800 to max out - I would be now deaf and not only blind if I tried any harder with the Sony.
I've heard people claim the B&W 675 sub is ever so slightly better on bass clarity, but I'm open to debate on that, the Sony is excellent for what it is musically, and I mainly listen in 2 channel or 5.1 music / DVDA. In brute power this thing kicks well into powerful 15 inch butt, at tripple the price, and price is where this thing scores, and that's what my comments have taken into consideration
Thus resulting in my friend who set it up with me, and another of our friends went out and purchased this sub with both being extremely happy (They use mainly for HT).
The only thing I can mention against this sub is that Sony doesn't have a great reputation in this country for making "High-End" equipment, but it's more a marketing thing I guess, because they have some wonderful products out there with great value for money, and this is a shining example.

Purchased At:   Photo Cats Sony Agen

Submitted by realman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer from SONY represents extremely high level of performance and build quality. The efortless power together with control and pace makes it suitable both for cinema and critical music listening. In A/B comparison it easily bests Sunfire Signature and rivals the best subs on the market! Sony really surprised me with this product. Value for the money is simply incredible.

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by Harp845 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was over a friends house the first time I had heard one of these Subs. I know Sony Is not know for their sub market,but I tell ya,this thing has to be seen AND heard.HIGH QUALITY BUILT.
It has 2 12 inch woofers made out of a material that I have not seen before used In a sub,a celious material that appears VERY rigid,and is also a gold color.
I like how all the controls are mounted on top of the rear of unit,very easy to reach. There you will find volume,phase,auto on/off and crossover settings as well as a 2 levels of bass boost(why would you ever you need it....)
As far as wattage goes It claims 1000 watt with BOTH 12 inch drivers being active which gives this sub a MAJOR hit In the bass department. I have a velodyne 15 inch 750 watt sub also and all I can say is "move over velodyne." This sub will drop a note well Into the teen hz without distorting. And at 95 pounds,good luck getting one UPS in one piece. WELL WORTH YOUR TIME.

Purchased At:   online