Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofers

4.56/5 (334 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

powered 12" subwoofer with 120 watt amplifier

Submitted by daidalos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
Polyfil and modpodge modification didn't work for me ln the past.
So, I changed the cone of the SA-WM40 with a 70 euro 8ohm cone of Rockford Fosgate, for car audio.
The Rockford Fosgate cone was 3mm larger, so I cut off the wood a little around the hole.
Then I screwed the cone on the board, and ........ouaaaaou, what a superb, unbeliveble sound. This was a really extra good modification. Now It sounds so extra good in both music and movies. At least 10 stars, not only 5, in value and overall.

Submitted by MetalStorm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I was reading another reviews about this subwoofer, also I've heard a lot of state-of-art hi-fi brands who offer nice and expensive audio components, but nothing to do with this Sony sub.

I had my impression just before buy it that Sony wasn't a serious audio manufacturer, because they are a lot commercial brand just for the common market and when I meet this sub I thought well, I'm going to proof it and just nothing else, and when I brought this sound box to my home I've connected to the amp with a common RCA cable and I had a nice bass sound.

Never mind with this cheap cable, I confirm that a correct and finest cable makes the difference in sound and quality and I bought a free-oxigen and 24k gold covered AR cable, just I've connected this cable to the subwoofer so ... THE MAXIMUM DIFFERENCE, incredible deep-shake sound, powerful and strong bass, totally amazed with the experience.

No way about it this model is cheap of different in comparision with another manufacturer, Sony made the best when they produced the SA-WM40 model, this one has rear controls for power and frecuency, the switch for normal and reverse, auto on when this captures a sound signal (stand by mode), and the true deep sound comes from the rear, there is nothing in sound as like if it would be "winding", the bass invades the room and is a terrific complement for a home theater system.

I'm very happy with this sub, because I use to enjoy movies and music in the same scale so I have to say this subwoofer is one of the best in its class just for quality and price, isn't the state-of-art article but kick a lot of .... well just for enjoying as well as you can, no more.

Submitted by joey-09 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
i just bought this sub off a mate. well i got a 5.1 sony reciever with all 5 speakers + sub, a dual tape deck and a 5 disc sony cd player for $300 aus. so i got a pretty good deal. the sub is good. loud but boomy. i just read some of the mods and think i might drop in to the local craft store. if it can become tighter/cleaner that easy then i can't wait. i am planning on buying the jensen qx 95 sub. which runs 2 10" drivers at 250 wrms. but i have something im happy with and to fill my bass needs for now. i might come back on a write up a comparision after the mod

Submitted by dandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
After thinking about getting a subwoofer for a long time i went for this one because of the price. I didn't expect it to be a top range woofer (SONY) but when i first used it i was realy suprised. It got far below my B&W 601's 70 Hz with an amazing deep bass efect. I didn't know you could make it better by moding it either, but after reading the reviews on here i did the mod podge and polyfil thing to it. The bass caricter is now more defined, lower and it packs even more punch. So if your looking for an affordable sub this realy is the one to get.

Submitted by tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
The subwoofer sucks a waste of money

Purchased At:   best buy