Sony SA-WX700
Description: <ul> <li>bass-reflex</li> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>250-watt digital amp</li> <li>dual 10" long-throw woofers</li> <li>frequency response 20-200 Hz</li> <li>continuously variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover</li> <li>speaker-level input and output</li> <li>line-level input and output</li> <li>signal-sensing power on/off</li> <li>phase switch</li> <li>volume control</li> <li>black vinyl finish</li> <li>15-3/8"W x 19-1/4"H x 18-3/8"D</li> </ul>

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
My subwoofer, its great i know for a fact that i'm not popular around my neighbours come the weekend, its quenches my sound thirst. its real deal for money. you have to own it to believe it.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Davidb0123 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit in November of 2005. It was in use (occasional use) for two years. then it was time to move so I packed back in origional box. Built a new home for two yrs & when i pulled it out of the box, plugged it in, it does not work. Apparently there is a problem with this model burning out resistors 7 capacitors when left idel & unpowered. When powered back up it blows out. Sound was great when it worked!

Submitted by Basslover33 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
I take Home Theatre very seriously; so seriously that I have a focus and that focus has been midrange, suppoerted by deep bass.

I kept this in mind when purchasing my speakers and made sure they had a wide sound stage. My fronts and rears are exactly the same and they are the Quest Q610; Solid, narrow, heavy and deep 2 way bookshelves, with 6” Polypropylene woofers on 22 ½” stands. The rears are placed 48 ½” off the floor. To complete my 5.2 system, I use a Sony SS CNK10ED Centre Channel only because of its incredible sound from the unique Barrel design with dual 4 ¾” woofers and a 1” Extended Definition tweeter. I don’t know what “Timber Matching” means but with the combination of 4 ¾” & 6” woofers, I get excellent audible midrange coverage. I assumed a deep bass system producing very low frequencies would allow my speakers to really come forth and provide additional midrange clarity with perfect pitch. What kind of bass system could do this? The Sony SAWX700.

About four years ago I came across the SAWX700. It was on display and the movie was the Incredibles. The room was a half-circle set up to display big screen TVs. I turned the Sub volume to 4 and the frequency to 1/2 and shoved it into a corner. Nothing happened until the scene when Dash was running across the water and this big rock cracked and came crashing down. It was a really low frequency on the sound track, but when produced by the SAWX700 it seemed as if the store was falling apart! Everything was shaking and to my amazement, the visible forward firing woofer didn’t move!

In July 2007 I finally purchased my first SAWX700 because I now have the space to accommodate it and in December 2007 I purchased the second.

This dual 10” Sub is solid, heavy and deep and is almost a perfect cube without the feet. Set up and placement took a while due to the multitude of setting available between the sub’s top mounted controls and the AMP. With this sub, placement within ½” makes an ENORMOUS difference in sound and depth. In a room 24’ x 11’ wide, I ended up with both subs mirrored at each corner of the room. The far corner of the sub is 8 inches off the front wall, the close corner is a ½”off the left and right side walls with a 15 degree tilt towards the listening area. My Subs are used in reverse mode with Bass Boost on and the volume @ 4 (10 o’clock) with the frequency level the same. The Surround Sub volume on the AMP is kept at 3 or 4 and the overall AMP bass setting for the speakers is in the negative. I use a Techniques SA DX940 AMP @100 Watts per/channel with raw Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 processing.

As a result of using this Sub all my speakers sound larger. They are booming with fuller, richer and crisper sound enhancing the overall midrange presence of my system. In total darkness, the speakers are nowhere to be found because balanced sound comes from everywhere. With the midrange increased the bass doesn’t sound like its coming from the Subs at all, but from all channels and most impressively the floor and ceiling. With the subs positioning, when I get close to it there’s barely any sound. You have to touch it to make sure it’s working.

The power is awesome and it’s amazing how effortlessly this Sub provides it. The most frightening aspect of the SAWX700 is its performance at low volumes. The bass is still clear, detailed and powerful. After a year I’m still left speechless at having to turn the volume down after just turning the volume down. Running both subs at high volumes will crack the foundation of the house.

There are many movies I can use to describe this sub, LOTR, Star Wars, Matrix etc., they all sound awesome like watching the movies for the first time, but I’m going to use Cloverfield because there’s no music score and lots of cut scenes, with the sound changing frequently, and plenty of scenes that are truly terrifying. I never saw it in the Movie Theatres so watching it at home with the Sub would be my very first time seeing it. It was late at night so I had to keep the volume down and I only used one sub. I had no idea what I was in for.

Before the movie even starts, there’s this BOOM, BOOOM, BOOOOM that forced me to turn the system down. The Sub sets the ominous and brooding tone of what was to come and kept my eyes glued to the video source because of it. The street level noise, the voices and the party sounded so real with a density I cannot properly describe. Since the move is filmed with a hand held, sometimes the microphone gets rubbed and the sub even picks that up clearly. At 18:19 into the movie, when you hear that first explosion, unbelievable! When watching in total darkness it actually sounded like an explosion was outside my house and I was feeling the actual shockwave inside. The second explosion on the roof top and the disorder that follows put the sub through its paces and it stayed tight and accurate throughout. The explosion takes place in the distance and what impressed me was hearing the explosion and the bassy echo. The bass cutting in and out was tight and you could feel the anticipation that something is coming. Apart from feeling subsonic bass effects, which were also heard in crystal clarity, you still experienced everything else: Running for lives, heavy breathing, glass shattering and chaos are heard with precision with the same density I cannot properly describe. This was watching with one sub at around 9 O’clock on the AMP and the vibration was felt upstairs. I had to stop. The next day when I ran both subs, with the same scenes at the same volume levels, the overall sound is larger and the room seems much wider. You get the same clarity as if using one sub without the bass being overbearing or headachy, and that density I could not properly describe earlier, can only be described as 3 dimensional – if I can use this to describe it. But the drawback with 2 subs was that the house was shaking from bottom to top to bottom again with plenty of bottomless Bass in reserve. This is especially true during the eye popping confrontation scene. You’re left cringing by a massive stomp and monstrous roar only to then have your senses assaulted by machine gun, bazooka and tank fire all at the same time. Maybe it’s just me, but it seemed like I heard bass from every single weapon while the monster was wailing and the building was falling apart. After the characters of the story found sanctuary in the subway, I was panting along with them. I was left breathless and I had to pause the movie and get a drink of water. It was sensory overload. To date, I consider this the most intense scene I’ve ever seen, followed only by Jurassic Park III: Unhappy Landing. The previously described scenes had both subs running and the Surround Sub volume was set at 3.

With X-box Shooter video games in Dolby Digital Surround, this Sub is in sync with the vibrating controller producing a wild experience. The gun shots hurt, you’re forced to duck and cover from machine gun fire and explosions leave you shell shocked.

To my surprise, people who watch movies on my system say the EXACT same thing with the same expression of drop jawed, defeated astonishment; “the sound is fantastic”.

Overall, with midrange being my HT focus, the SAWX700 has given me exactly what I wanted and more; surrealistic sound and density in movies that’s beyond my capability to properly describe.

After all, with the Sony Walkmans and Discmans that I’ve owned, wouldn’t it make sense that the creators of MEGA BASS be the ones to produce the most awesome Subwoofers ever? - That’s if they make them.

Purchased At:   Sony Store

Submitted by themblues a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
It's obvious most of the reviews on this sub are from people who have never owned quality in their setups. No offense peopIe, but that's the truth. I got this sub for a mid-low level computer room setup in a 12x12 den. While this sub does get down to 20hz, it just barely gets there. Now a lot of subs do not get this low, this sub is definitely at the top of the budget subs. The sub I am pitting the Sony against is a Def Tech PF15TL+ 500 watt 15" sub. No that is really not fair, so I am giving the Sony a 5 for value, but the thing that pisses me off is that these are 10" drivers in the barest sense of the term. They are really 8" pistons with a HUGE surround, and considering they are only pushing 125 watts each (albeit with a 3 ohm amp) there is no reason for this large a surround. Would have served a lot better to make the cone a proper size with a smaller surround. Hell my Def Tech has a smaller surround at double the size cone and amp. And to top everything else off, I have to turn it up all the way AND put the boost on to get anything decent out of it. When all is said and done however, anything less than $350, you can't beat this sub. It is built like a tank, I will give them that. But if you are looking for a quality sub for a main listening room, save the bucks and get something good. For sheer price/performance balance, my Def Tech CAN NOT be beat.

Purchased At:   Ebay - price incl sh

Submitted by Allen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
i Bought this subwoofer from circuitcity brand new for $100, it was on sale down to $200 plus $100 mail in rebate, so i paid $100 plus taxes, and it was a good investment. I was going to buy the velodyne 12 inch dps for $550 but this purchase was for my bedroom and i figured the velodyne would be too much, so i caught this for sale. I've always liked sony for having cheap subwoofers with decent performance, and this dual cone subwoofer exceeded my expectations. my bed room is 15 by 12 feet, and is complimented with an onkyo 500 series reciever, infnity satelites, onlyo 8inch powered sub and this sony powered sub, and i must say the sound is satifactory. The sub does hit clean and low for the price, but i wouldnt have bought it for $300, maybe $200. down stairs in my living room, i have a velodyne 12 inch, and it hits harder, lower and cleaner than the sony, but that was expected. For $300, youre better off spending a bit more money and getting the velodyne, but for $200 or less, its a great value.

Purchased At:   Circuit City