Sony SAWD200
Description: 250 watt Digitally Amplified Subwoofer

Submitted by Apothes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the SAWX90 here because they dont have it listed and this is the closest Sony sub I can find to it.
I started off with the Sony SAWM40 a 30cm 100W bass driver, but i found the bass lacked depth and didnt really give me the thrill i was seeking.
SInce I can buy Sony wholesale i decided to stick with sony, the velodyne and B&W were just way too expensive..
I cruised on down to the Sony showroom in New Market and auditioned the sub with my amp. The over zealous sales guy had the bass cranked so high it was clipping miserable. still i could feel the potential...

I bought the Sony SAWX90 which is twice the price and 250W. (its also damn near twice the weight and my wife nearly broke her back carrying it inside. Naturally I still had the old SAWM40 and had to try both in tandem. I hooked them up with the SUBwoofer out from the Sony STR1070ES amp and put toy story 2's opening scene with Buzz and Zerg. It felt like the whole house was going to be ripped in two, i kid you not, this is an extreme amount of bass. Final fantasy has a lot of bass and these two subs shook dust from the rafters. My rig is in my bed room and the bed plays hell with the acustics, but with this much power the sheets were vibrating. hehe Im selling the old sawm40 as the sawx90 has more than enough bass for me. Note price paid is NZ dollars. about $300 US

my gear:
Sony VPL-cs4 projector
Sony str1070 ES amp
B&W 603 S1 fronts, CCS6 center, 601 Surrounds and Sony SSCNX7 rear center, Toshiba sd700 dvd and sony ez77 vhs vcr.

Purchased At:   Wholesale

Submitted by IcarusHouston a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a really great subwoofer that offers exceptionally tight and full bass, while remaining small.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by John Bobard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the sub about 1 month ago and have been very pleased with it. Strong bass from such a small unit. Twin drivers help enhance this power. Volume control and phase control in conveniant place. Attractive looking, with or without front grill. 250 watts of power which is definatly made obvious. I've set it up with the Sony STR-VA555ES reciever (The new one) and played 'The Matrix' DVD through it, the sound was exceptional, excelent bass. I now use this DVD to show the sub off. As well as the amp.

Purchased At:   Sony centre