REL Acoustics Storm II Subwoofers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Subwoofer w/ 100 watt mosfet amp, 10" driver

Submitted by Marc a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub is capable of producing very deep, but more importantly, well defined/articulate bass response. Most importantly, it can integrate, in a seamless fashion, with any speaker system due to the high quality and well engineered crossover network and driver. It does take some time to "tweek" the crossover to integrate with a speaker system, but it is fun and the results are worth the wait! Once set up properly, you cannot determine where the bass is being produced - the highest accolade a sub can attain!!

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used this sub for 3 years now, in a stereo set up, and have never regretted my purchase. I go to my friends houses, listen to their overpowering, boomy, unclear subs that don't blend, and I just smile. As far as quality, there is just no comparison-Rel wins.

This sub becomes transparent and adds as more bass than my B&W front speakers (playing at 150watts/side) can keep up with. I am anxious to upgrade my amp, which will add a cleaner more powerful sound to my front speakers, just to see if I can finally turn the Rel up and enjoy its full capacity.

Purchased At:   Audio Port

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub because of a review I read in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater and discussions with Stirling Trayle (Sumiko, the importer for REL). He helped me match a sub for my Vandersteen 3A's; 75% music, 25% movies. The review was actually one of the REL's lower models geared more for home theater rather than music only. But Stirling guided me to the Storm model instead. I did not hear this unit before it arrived via UPS (no local dealers).

The Storm is a fantastic product. It blends so well with my Vandersteen's that it as if the sub is not even there. Music (classical in particular) exudes a great weight that I had never experienced in my system before. Even with piano, it adds something...noticeable when the sub is switched off.

The hookup on the REL may be a bit unique. Instead of filtering the low frequencies to the main speakers, and thereby reducing the workload of the amplifier, it connects to the amplifier's speaker outputs directly (resistance of this connection is said to be about 10,000 ohms). This is the high-level connection. There is also a low-level connection using two RCA plugs and this can be attached to a pre/processor for additional flexibility. The limitation in this scheme is that filter settings affect both the high-level and low-level inputs; they cannot be set individually. Ideally, for home theater, the ".1" channel should not be filtered while the high-level should be. The new models have this feature.

It is recommended the sub be placed in a corner and that is where mine is. Setup took about an hour, with minor tweaking of the settings thereafter. The filter is set to the 30 Hz position for music. When using it for movies (5.1 only) I disconnect the high-level connector and reset the filter to it's highest setting, 100 Hz. By doing this, the entire ".1" signal is accepted by the sub. For music, I connect the high-level and set the pre/processor to NO SUBWOOFER. This is a minor inconvenience, but the results are worth it.

The subwoofer is well behaved; it sits in the corner and does its job. Don't let the power rating of 100 watts and a single 10 inch driver fool you, it has more power than I can use (or would want to). The only other subwoofer I auditioned was the Sunfire (standard and sig). I'll just say it didn't work out for me.

The Storm's sound is deep, clear and fast. The Vandersteen 3A bass tends to be a little more "loosely" delivered. In the CD Holst The Planets, the organ size and depth is incredible. In movies like Contact, The Matrix and Saving Private Ryan, the room shakes quite a bit; scary at times.

Overall, this is a fine product and one I would buy again. I'm now looking at upgrade options to the REL Stadium III. To me, the Storm is a great value used at $1000 or under; especially if you are more interested in music than movies.

My system consists of:

McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A power amp
Adcom 2535 power amp (for center and rear)
Sony S7000 DVD
Sony EP9ES digital pre/processor
Vandersteen 3A Signature's
Vandersteen Center Channel
MIT 330 II+ Interconnects
AudioTruth Forest/AudioQuest Crystal speaker cables
B&W DM-302 (rear speakers)
Echo Buster sound panels
KimberKord Power Cord for DNA-1
Leviton 5362-LIG Hospital Grade outlets (don't ask why, but this made a very real and improved difference - for $8 - I wouldn't have believed it either)
Monster HTS-1000 Power Center for all but DNA-1

Submitted by Jim Delaney a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
My REL has make a dramatic improvement to a really
fine 2 channel audio system. I run it from 55HZ and
down, while my Magnepan 2.7R's run full range. The
sound in my large (24ft by 15ft by 9ft high) living
room is superb. Makes me wonder what two REL'S would
sound like.....a steal at $1500.

Submitted by Matt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this sub for over 2 1/2 years now. It has and probably always will be one of my favorite pieces in my audio system (and it is nowhere near the most expensive).

When I started my exhaustive search for a Sub, I tried all of the brands listed above. Some seemed like they just didn't put out enough sound, other felt like they were just not that clear. I really was looking for a large diameter subwoofer thinking that bigger is better. I was wrong.

I had the fortune to compare the REL to Velodyne's top of the line 15" at that time (that was what I was probably going to get) and my jaw dropped. When I heard what bass is SUPPOSED to sound like, the velodyne sounded like it was producing nothing but mud. The Storm was fast, clean and blended in so well with my system, I would turn the sub off from time to time to make sure that it was creating all that beautiful bass and not my towers. About a year ago, I upgraded the stock interconnect with Audioquest Ruby. With that, everything wonderful about the storm just doubled. The bass got even tighter, everything was clearer and the bass strengthened. If you don't know what fast bass is, you will. Just pop in any movie with machine guns and your jaw will drop. Instead of just a long droning bass that most subs put out, each and every bullet was felt and heard through this sub.

I highly reccomend this sub to anyone who wants more than just a big "boom". This is not a sub that you would find in the rattling car next to you at the stoplight, this sub actually reproduces the sound. Drums sound like drums, explosions go deep and take your breath away. Anyone who has passed up the REL because of it's 10"woofer has made a terrible mistake. I've yet to hear a sub of any size put out as much clean powerful bass as the REL.

I give it 4 stars just because there are higher end REL's out there.