REL Acoustics Quake Subwoofers

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Subwoofer

Submitted by jack201 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
You know what I hate about subwoofers? They sound like subwoofers.

The Quake II was a breath of fresh air. I use it in my bedroom system matched with an ancient pair of Magnepan SMGc's an Arcam FMJ integrated and an Arcam CD92. Much as I love the smooth coherent sound of the Maggies there is no denying that they just don't go very low at all. My cousin suggested the Quake II which I believe is REL's smallest baby swearing that it is a cinch to integrate.

He was right. With just a tiny amount of work and judicious use of the volume control It didn't sound like there was a subwoofer attached at all. It just sounded like the SMGc's sprouted a larger mid-bass panel. The decays on upright bass was continuous. Kickdrums sounded natural instead of the usual disjointed feeling one often gets.

So what does that mean you may ask. First that the little guy is FAST. Fast enough to keep up with a quasi-ribbon. Second, at least in my room (4m x 5m), the sub's volume was set so low as to indicate that despite it's diminutive size it has enough juice in there that you really won't be wanting for more. Third the very simple yet clever factory presets easily allow you to adjust to the roll off of your main speakers or any common commercially available speakers without the need for a spectrum analyzer and complicated parametric equalization.

It is a sub for people that don't like what most common subs give you, one note bass and nothin' but resonance.

My only beef is that it could have been heavier. There is some audible enclosure noise but at this pricepoint I think it is something that is definitely forgivable.

If you have a small room and have minimonitors or small floorstanders that only go down into the 40s and 50s. I definitely recommend these little tykes.

For the best effect however, being down firers, I've found that the optimal placement is between the Left and Right speakers and about 3 feet behind the speaker plane.

Purchased At:   Architectural Audio

Submitted by Bennaerts a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
REL QUAKE II, in my opinion it's simply the best brand for hifi setups. At this price (euro) I dont think to find something els in my neighbourhood with this audiophile quality. Simply love it!!! My music collection sounds totaly new!

Purchased At:   Hifi Corner Antwerp

Submitted by Edward Harris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow...this was my first sub and WHAT a sub!! I've heard many since from M&K, B&W, Monitor Audio etc and there is nothing that can stay with the Quake Pound for pound or inch for inch. How they get such tight accurate and lets face it, DEEP, bass from such a small box is something of a miracle.
Stereo music benefits from increase snap and soundstaging, double bass on jazz CDs is sooo realistic, and bass beats on dance music hit you in the chest! On DVD tracks the LFE feed is first class giving wonderful effects and integrating with the rest of the system. It's takes a while to get the set up right and for the sub to break-in (I ended up with high-level connection with the LFE feed disabled at the amp for stereo) and LFE feed for DVD) but it's worth it. Slam mode for films and depth for CDs.
I recently moved house into a barn conversion and a seriously big room (18m * 6m * 6m) and the REL still does the business - amazing!!

Purchased At:   hifibitz.co.uk

Submitted by rli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
the quake is a good sub and quite cheap. However you need some time to get the right setting especially with music. Bass is not fat or warm but neutral. I use the high input channel for music and the low input channel for dvd. the finish is not so good i think. i rate it 4 stars.

Purchased At:   foka

Submitted by Jason Ford a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I think this is fantastic. its small and powerful and above all it's pretty cheap.
it makes my setup a plesure to listen to. i also have the rel Q200E but because this is half the price i think it is worth the money.

My setup: