REL Acoustics Q100E Subwoofers

12" subwoofer

Submitted by Roger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
What a superb experience! Bought REL Q100e s/h earlier today Jan 04. I'm so impressed I have to write a review for you. Recently bought a cheap CAT DVD receiver with speaker system included from LIDL as a replacement for my aging midi system. I have a pair of quality Infinity modulus (1990's) book shelf speakers. (Originally designed for use with Infinity active sub-woofer that alone cost 2000 GBP when new. I never had this sub although did trial it some years ago.) The REL baby tunes beautifully and effortlessly to the Infinity speakers.
I am using the High Level input connected to SUB out on DVD receiver. Now I can actually hear my rear speakers too as the internal DVD amp does not have to drive the passive sub that came with it. I have experienced some very cool sounds this evening from regular TV viewing. At one stage my whole living room (13X22ft) felt like it was resonating and I felt immersed in a rich and deep sound that was in perfect 'sterio' where ever I moved probably owing to the sub 100hz omni directional sound? I am really looking forward to trying out a DVD this weekend - might treat myself to Terminator 3 or something. The REL Q100e is an amazing piece of kit that will transform all of my A/V listening whether CD, MP3, DVD and Tuner. How did I get by with out it before?

Purchased At:   Noteworthy Audio - A

Submitted by gav a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was a bargain 2nd hand, used at very low power by someone in a small house meant that it hadn't really been pushed. It has now, augmenting an existing 6 speaker surround system fronted by ATC SCM10s in a 1000sq ft solid (warehouse) room. Effortlessly makes the cinema experience perfect (matching the 12ft screen we have). Adds that essential kick to all sorts of music from rachmaninov to alex reece, bjork, peter gabriel and even to esoteric electro-acoustic music that uses sub 100Hz as a normal part of the spectrum. Almost felt I was back in the studio.

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by witters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Q100E as an end of line item at 15% off list price. I am very impressed with it. It adds massive scale to home cinema whilst blending in seamlessly with 2 channel stereo. Having owned a Q200E previously I can honestly say the difference is negligible, especially at this price!

Purchased At:   Greenside Electrical

Submitted by Marc Kruse a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Use it with for stereo listening and HT with 4 Tannoy R2's and the Tannoy RC. Sonny strdb940 receiver.
Listening to CD's is great with the REL switched on. You can tune the REL so that it perfectly blends in with the Tannoys. For HT it gives you the deep effects that you are looking for. Great suggestion from my dealer to buy one with the Tannoy's. Made a nice price for me too. The five Tannoy's for $200 each, the REL for $440.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Rick Noordam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a sub that completed my JBL home theater set-up. Thought of buying a pb10, but after reading the reviews, went for an audition with this baby. And it beats the JBL on all fronts. I never imagined a sub to fit in this well with my existing speakers and is a great addition to the sound while listening music. It seems that it isn't there, but when you turn it off... And for home theater... This sub really brings the theater home! It scared the hell out of my neighbours, cause they thought my heating installation was about to explode and their pictures almost came off the walls. (And I haven't even tried the REL out... yet!) Looking for a sub. This is the one. Especially at the price I bought it for. (1299,- Dutch Guilders!)

Purchased At:   Foka