Polk Audio PSW650 Subwoofers

4.6/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $769.00

Dual 10" speaker subwoofer w/250 watt amp

Submitted by croseiv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I decided to get a subwoofer to add energy below the frequency of my Polk Audio RT7 mains. After reading around I decided on the PSW650 (espcially since it was on special at Crutchfield.com).

After a bit of experimentation with placement I found a very good location for the sub. I have it in my living room. It is essentially coupled to the foundation. It took about twenty-four hours to "burn in" to give the best sound.

Since I have owned it I have used it primarily as a music sub. It perfroms admirably in my system providing deep punchy bass. My living room is medium sized (18x16x11ft). I would imagine anything smaller than that would be almost to small for this sub.

I decided to purchase a very bass heavy recording (BassConnection greatest hits)to test it. Dang! Track four shakes the house literally. When I crank that song up it vibrates the cabinets in the kitchen over thirty feet away. The house seems to breathe in the strange rythmic dance with the heavy bass. Madonna's Vogue really pounds. It has done well with rock music also (Rush, Joe Satraini, Stevie Ray Vaughan).

For me it tends to run a little hot for home theater requiring me to turn it down for most movies, but that is ok.

I just had to remove one of the woofers to have a look inside. The magnets are huge! Also, the amplifier(s) are very robust with four large 15,000 uF capacitors. Very nice indeed. Two thumbs up for Polk.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by elleryho a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just have an interesting setup that i'd like to let you guys in on.

First of all I plan on using three of these bad boys , right now I have two. I have a yamaha Rx-Z1 receiver. I run the main outs to one of the subs, then have have Totem Rokks connected to it as my mains. Then I have my rear outs goin to my second sub, which is against the center of the rear wall. I then have a pair of Totem rokks coming out of the rear sub as my rears. I also have a Totem Mite T sitting on my rear sub as my rear center channel.

Now, what I want to add in the future, is another polk sub connected to the LFE output of my yamaha receiver. I also am going to add a pair of Klipsch quintets for my front effects. I know three of these polk subs maybe over kill. But basically, i have one dedicated for bass of the mains and one for the rears, and the the third will handle all the LFE effects. Plus the rear sub also doubles as my rear center channel stand.

Submitted by rlf50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
My system:
A/V RECEIVER: Denon AVR-2803
SIDE SURROUNDS: NHT Super Zero A450
REAR SURROUNDS: Polk Audio RC55i
SPEAKER CABLES: Monster Z Bass 100, XPHP-CI & XP-CI
AUDIO CABLE: Monster Interlink Lightspeed Reference

Summary:
I have tried every setting (of which there are many) to get the best possible sound for music and for home theater. I have mixed feelings about this sub. My initial expectations when I began my search for a new subwoofer were much higher. Reality quickly took control. After side by side comparisons with about a dozen other subs priced from $350 to $1500, I settled for this sub. The PSW650 easily delivered the most volume out of the comparisons I made. The $1400 Velodyne SPL1200 was possibly a little tighter but a lot more expensive.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield.com

Submitted by buttluvin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Polk PSW650 is an awesome speaker. I think its a great deal for the money. I considered many other subwoofers Paradigm, Velodyne, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, etc...

Purchased At:   todays electronics

Submitted by Maurice13 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Incredible natural sound and accurate reproduction of surround tracks. Attractive design. Several options available for inputs and set-up. Great with movie sound tracks, yet responsive enough to appreciate SACD and 5.1 audio recordings without a muddy undertone.

Purchased At:   www.acousticsounddes