Polk Audio PSW450 Subwoofers

4.39/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $530.00

Powered subwoofer with 12" driver

Submitted by Mo-me-san a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
First, the bottom line: It's well worth the money. The ratio of value to its price point is high. I'm more than happy with this sub.

This is my first sub and I've mated it to Klipsch Forte II's with the SC-1 center channel. I'm a "born-again" audiophile who ventured onto the stereo scene back in the mid-'60s when monoaural systems were the norm. After having "dropped out" of the audio world during the '90s, the recent purchase of a DVD player has renewed my audio interest.

I purchased this sub after reading numerous reviews and write-ups. Normally, I would personally audition any speaker purchase but having done that so many times in the past, I didn't relish the idea of going from store to store listening to various subs under various listening environments. Speaking auditioning is a task that's daunting, frustrating, and very time-consuming.

Before anyone starts on a subwoofer journey, however, you must ask yourself about your expectations. Do you want a sub that overpowers a movie scene (or piece of music) that in the end becomes its own entity? Or do you want something that "seamlessly" fits in the background? I was looking for a sub that would blend in and sound "natural" without becoming a distraction.

The Polk sub provides that missing link in my stereo/surround system. The bass is clean and well defined. I can definitely FEEL the bass but more importantly I can distinguish the individual bass notes and differentiate the bass from the drummer's kick drum. In HT scenarios, it's awesome and forceful without becoming an overpowering distraction. Its output is distinct without a lot of "boom." And the sub's volume setting is turned up only halfway. The sub handles itself well during the famous Star War's Pod Race as well as Jurassic Park's T-Rex intro scene. I experimented by turning up the sub volume to maximum and found it was too much (for my tastes) for my 20'x 30' living room (actually, a "great room").

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with its presence when listening to music or when watching movies. I'm not naive, though, and I'm sure if the sub were placed side-by-side to a more expensive sub, the differences would be noticeable. But for a delivered price of $250 I've found a sub that fits my needs and my budget.

Purchased At:   JandR.com

Submitted by Ron Stills a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this sub.
It replaced an older advent.
I can feel the bass under my feet, on the floor, my chair.
Overall it's just a great sub.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by runmkm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have Energy tower speakers with smaller Energy rear speakers. I bought the PSW450 as my first sub-woofer. While it handled most music well, there were passages when played loudly that it clipped. (That is the loud "clack" that you hear when a speaker "bottoms out". Well, I am moving up to the Klipsch RSW15 and will let you know how it performs. The Polk was okay for the price and would recommend it for a person who listens to their music moderately. But for "kick-ass" applications I would suggest spending more and getting a better built sub-woofer.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by 74cuda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
OK here's the deal,if you want a decent sub,this will do.DO not believe it is a giant killer,it is not ,it can compete with any 300.00 sub.I CANNOT compete with any,even a 10" reference quality sub.Some of these reviews on this site are really out there.You get what you pay for so don't think for 300 bucks you will reach reference levels.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by vinathai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this sub. The sub has tight base and is good for both movies and music. I have Klipsh bookshelfs for main and surround and HK receiver and the sub blends in well. This sub sounded better than most subs costing much more. You will be hard-pressed to find a better sub at this price range.

Purchased At:   BrandNamez.com