Polk Audio PSW10 (Black) Subwoofers

3.73/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Do away with distortion. While the Polk Monitor Series PSW10s 10 driver and 50W built-in amplifier are filling out your home audios bass tones, a wide variety of distortion-reducing technologies - including laser Klippel Distortion analysis - deliver bass true to the source.
  • Bass-reflex
  • 50-watt RMS amplifier
  • 10" front-firing driver
  • Frequency response 40-160 Hz (-3dB)
  • Continuously variable 80-200 Hz crossover
  • Phase switch
  • Auto on/off
  • Speaker-level and line-level inputs; speaker-level output

Submitted by fendaaudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Value for money and got good exp in listing

Submitted by musicmonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
Got an opportunity to demo unit against the Sony SA-W2500 and Pioneer SW-8MK2 at my local BB's listening room. Amongst the 3, the PSW10 is in its own class. It would be the home audio pick. All have crossover dials and auto on/off switches. The latter 2 are close. Each was selected joining a HT system of Yamaha receiver and Pioneer speakers in a 5.1 configuration. The Pioneer sub had some noticeable bottom emphasis while the Sony seemed consistent throughout its frequencies. Something was amiss at SW-8MK2 higher frequencies. Could be due to lowest cutoff of highest frequency of the 3. Had the volumes and cutoffs maxed during demo. Had to back the Polk volume 1/3rd due to distortion(port noise?). My conclusion is that the latter 2, especially the Sony, would be good all around choices. For all you disciminating Charlie tuna, stereo junkies dial in the clean, tight, sweet bass of the Polk. Got mine dialed in on Hiroshima's Kokoro. I was knocking on heaven's door.

Submitted by Mike Suarez a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have the PSW10 in conjunction with a Polk Monitor Series Surround and a Denon 2111 receiver... and Kimber Kable PBJ cables. I bought the PSW10 because I was living in a small apartment and didn't particularly want to blow my downstairs neighbors out of the building. For the price, these guys do fairly well with music. They are fairly tight from 40hz to about 80hz. If you use cheaper cables (Radio Shack or even Monster) they fall apart even above 40hz, so I recommend buying proper cables for it. Below 40hz (even with proper cables) the port noise is almost unbearable. This means that they are fairly good at filling out your speaker set if you tend to listen to music (which tends to keep away from lower frequencies), but it will give you problems in a theater system (where the LFE drops well below 40hz).
Also, avoid the PSW10 if you are into boomy subs. Polk tends to make tighter speakers, focusing on clarity rather than power. Within the right range the PSW10 follows this trend. They are certainly tight, albeit not punchy.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by pitogo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
This sub is great for what I bought it for, a sub to my main computer speakers. $88 seems like the price is right. I have crossover set at 80Hz so its really only effective from 40-80Hz at best. Corner loaded and volume set way way. Helps reinforce the lower octaves.

Submitted by DanTana1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I went to BestBuy to really buy the Sony for $99.00 that I read so many good reviews about. I was able to audition several suboofers incuding the $474.00 Klipsch, $299.00 Polk 8" subwoofer and a couple others. The only sub that outperformed the PSW10 was the Klipsh SUB-12 and not by much. The Klipsch had more reserve than the Polk but both seem to go down as low, it wes very close to my ears a virtual tie. The Sony and 8" Polk were not even close, I really wanted to like the Sony but Polk was so much better and I was able to get an open box for $149.00 so that sealed the deal. The $474.00 Klipsch would of been nice but it was also a very large box and would of been somewhat hard to place.

I actually find the Polk PSW10 to be very musical, it seems to blend in very well with my setup. It has bass that is very tight and not boomy. I hooked mine up via the speaker cables and read that is the way to do it because of the better volume level and it worked for me. I do find that if you turn the volume all the way up it will get a little muddy and distort some, and it then starts to overpower the music not blend in well. I'm still in the process of tweaking the settings but I find that I seem to have some reserve power left over. I have both volume and crossover about one half to two-thirds. I'm listening to the Beatles, Magical Mystery Tour and it seems to be able to hit all the notes with no problem. I put on some dance and rap FM stations on my Denon TU-1500RDS and it was able to hit the lows with a strong and authoritative beat. I'm impressed with how well controlled the bass is, it doesn't seem to get sloppy unless you go overboard with the settings.

I put on the movie MI-III and the scene where they were rescuing the female agent then the subsequent holicopter chase my kids probably gave the best description when they said wow you can feel it. I'm not one to play my music or movies at the peak of my amp can allow a Sony TA-F700ES but a comfortable level and like my bass to augment and not overwhelm my materal. I'm watching Pearl Harbor right now and it sounds and feels like in the theater.

I've had Infiity Kappas with 10" woofers and this subwoofer goes lower and harder than they did. While this may not be the most auidiophile or loudest or lowest subwoofer it is also very affordable and will in my opinion deliver about 90% of the performance for a fraction of the cost of the most expensive subwoofers there are. If your looking to buy one just audition them yourself side-by-side and then decide.

The reason I'm giving 5 out of 5 is for value and performance for the dollar. It held it's own in the showroom against a $474.00 Klipsch.

Product model year:   2009