Paradigm Reference PDR-8 Subwoofers

4.29/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $279.00

Submitted by Kurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
Get it! Look for this on the used market find it buy it!! I put this next to my velodyne minivee for comparison. Kept up nicely..and we are talking about a 900.00 dollar sub vs 100.00.
I would get this if your looking to build a nice stereo 2.1 system for a bedroom/computer system. Cheaper and better than the "new" stuff out.

Submitted by Luckyskip19 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
i love this sub. i bought it from a couple moving to spain. pretty much a steal. OMG for its size it sounds amazing!! i replaced my Sony 8 inch sub with this. Huge difference! im running it from my 6 month old Denon avr-589.
i am currently running a pair of Bose 201 iv series and this paradigm pdr-8. AMAZING is all i can say, it roars.
my receiver is fairly new, bought it new, the speakers i am running are fairly old but not too old. but as they say...they dont make things like they use too..

Submitted by Kid_Cinema a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
When I first listenend to the PDR-8 with my HT set up, I said to myself, " WOW, this subwoofer sounds great." My set up consists of Mains=Titans, Center=CC-190, and Surrounds=Atoms. The PDR-8 blended well with my speakers and was able to produce the LFE's nicely, meaning that it definitely enhanced the HT experience. Believe me, despite it's small size, placed in the right location this sub can shake and rumble your HT room. And my HT room size is only 12x10x7 feet (LxWxH).

Unfortunately, and this is due to my own personal preference, the PDR-8 began to sound small and inadequate after watching some intensley LFE's movies such as U-571 and The Incredibles. To me, it seemed like the PDR-8 was having a hard time keeping up. But hey, this is an 8" sub don't expect too much.

So in conclusion, the PDR-8 would work well for someone who doesn't need to impress friends and neighbors but rather enjoy the HT experience without breaking the bank (The Casual Listener). The PDR-8 sounds incredible but does have its limits when it comes to intense LFE's.

Purchased At:   Advance Electronics

Submitted by SHAWNSY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I believe this "little" subwoofer has tighter/cleaner bass than most in its price range. It was the best bang for the buck and listened to more expensive Velodynes etc. I am very very happy with this little monster. I even listened to the 10" Paradigm sub which was louder and deeper but not cleaner sounding. I've read reviews of folks saying there's a hum in this unit but I haven't heard it in mine. It's dead silent on quiet passages. I don't know why this little 8" Paradigm doesn't do better than 4.25/5. For me, it's closer to 5 of 5! Clean, tight, deep/loud, huge value for the dollar! Bravo!

Purchased At:   LEHMAN

Submitted by ak listener a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Not the best sub I've heard, but I'm happy with it for the price. Mine had a horrible 60hz hum when new. The hum was easily heard from 10-12 feet away. The salesperson indicated this was a common problem with this model and told me I couldn't return a 3-day old unit because I special ordered a color they don't stock.
I took the sub home and fixed it myself. It took an extra ground wire from the agnd lead farthest from the x-former and a couple extra caps on the power rails on the lower board to completely rid the sub of hum. My amplifier was labeled as rev. D; you'd think they would have fixed the hum in one of the revs between A and D. My "fix" is just a band-aid for a poor design.

Purchased At:   pyramid