NHT Sub Two Subwoofers

4.83/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

sub

Submitted by 67deucess a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review to a post I made on this site over a year ago. Since that time, I've come to appreciate this sub more and more every time I use it. In no way has its performance deteriorated over time.
My system now is as follows:
-NAD C340 integrated amp
-DIY speakers using Peerless and Advent drivers
-DIY speaker cable & interconnects
-Samsung DVD player as a cd-transport
I have the SubTwoi connected using the Pre-Out/Main-In method and the sound is, in a word, transparent. It is extremely hard to tell where my main speakers leave off and where the sub begins. The depth of this sub still amazes me. Listening to orchestral recordings reveals incredibly lifelike sound--when those big drums hit, you feel as though you are truly there. Sometimes I swear I hear noises in other areas of the house, but its just the sub going to work.
I leave the contour switch on the "flat" setting for both movies and music and the sound is always clean, tight, and powerful. It complements the NAD in a great way. In fact, I sometimes forget I have the sub hooked up, due to the fact there are no dips in the musical scale, and when I say musical, I truly mean musical, since its main purpose is performing in my musically-biased stereo setup.
If you ever come across one of these babies for a decent price, I highly recommend picking it up, and once you get it properly set up, you'll wonder what you were listening to before.

Purchased At:   AV Logic

Submitted by dremichael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am having trouble understanding the difficulties the last reviewer left. It was very simple to setup.
I had sound tested several subs during my search for the right one. I listened to the velodyne's 8" & 10" sub and was disappointed with the sound. They had to work to hard to keep up with the low frequency. But once I came across and listened to the NHT Sub Twoi, I new that would be the one to compliment the rest of my system, including:
Marantz: AV9000
Marantz: MM9000
Monster Power: HTS-3500
Sony: DVP-NS700P - DVD player
Sony: KP-57HW40 57" wide screen tv
Cerwin Vega: AT-100 (18" drivers)
NHT: 1.5CI
NHT: AC-1
The sounds produced are nothing less than amazing.
Probably one of the best demonstrations of the subs capability is the pod race seen from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. It almost shakes you off of the couch.
NHT was right when they said "the subwoofer your neighbors will never forget"

Purchased At:   Cousins Audio

Submitted by gailloue a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased NHT's SubTwo subwoofer mainly because of great reviews all over the Net. I bought it from OneCall and have nothing but good things to say about them but I can't express my disappointment with the SubTwo's performance. I've been a longtime NHT fan. I also own the more modest NHT SW2P sub with 90-watt external amp. I thought the first SubTwo I received was defective. I couldn't get any decent bass out of it. After checking connections and the settings on my receiver, I sent it back for another unit. I was convinced the unit was defective. After receiving the second one, I plug it in and same results! It's been driving me nuts. I tried with two different receivers. A top-of-the-line Onkyo 919 and a superb Anthem amp with the same results. I've tried every crossover setting, phase, placement in the room, etc... I experimented with all the receiver's settings and even did A/B comparisons with my old SW2P. The bottom line: my 90-watt SW2P has more punch! I was expecting to shake the house like some other reviewers reported but instead, I now find myself still using my SW2P and using the SubTwo as a coffee table. I see both drivers moving in phase with authority but my ears tell a different story. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else been through the same frustration and found the magic setting to unleash the power of the SubTwo? Please do not suggest the most obvious experiments because - believe me - I tried many, many different things.

Purchased At:   OneCall

Submitted by JD3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Found one of the last demos of the out of production NHT Sub Two to match another sub which I wrote about before. Therefore I am now able to play Stereo Mode through the NHT Controller without effecting my normal set-up within a Martin Logan SL3 stereo set-up. In mono mode I had the sub controller set at 40 Hz low by-pass at 3/4 volume. In stereo mode I find 50 Hz low by-pass at 2/3 volume to give more "Presence" a better soundstage, & clearer bass detail. The 2nd sub is moved to another system; a 5.1 audio/video with (2) NHT VT-2 & (3) VS-2a speakers when watching DVD movies. This is not a "Normal" HT sub, but can well do the job, especially during DVD concerts.

Purchased At:   YAWA

Submitted by shotimer_1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
cute little subwoofers with tiny high excursion cones look like a million bucks, but when it comes down to it, , large drivers, lots of them, large cabinets, and lots of power makes the best subwoofer.

a pair of these NHT subwoofers will rearrange your perception of what good sound is.

One Sub or Two?

Howdy, I am researching Sub-woofers to compliment my Ed Frias DIY speakers. I'd like everyones opinion on using one sub or two. When using one sub, do you greatly sacrifice the stereo image, or is the sacrifice minimal to the pleasure of having more low end. Or, is the stereo image enhan ... Read More »