NHT Classic 12 Subwoofers

12" subwoofer, alum cone, rubber surround, 250 watt amplifier

Submitted by Lila M a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
Incredibly musical, earth shaking bass.. In my 7.3 set up yes I said 7.3 currently running 3 12" subs in my theater. 2 of the 3 happen to be this nht sub, its not about pounding bloated boomy bass but having a smooth bass transition from seat to seat in my theater and being able to paralyze the listener with an emersive movie experience. Simply a beautiful product in sound and appearance with solid service to back it as I had to replace an amplifier due to a power surge from an outlet that sadly took the life of another sub before I discovered the outlet to be at fault. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!!!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by ezyernie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have nothing but superlatives for this speaker. I researched quite a bit, because I was biased against subwoofers in favor of quality full-range floorstanding speakers. This subwoofer changed my mind. After listening to my friend's all-Snell setup, and going to a few showrooms, I was convinced that a subwoofer could add the missing lower frequencies without messing things up. Now to find the right one. So I talked to a buddy who turned his basement into a theater. He told me about his all-NHT setup, so I found a sound salon that carried them. the 12 was truly impressive. It does not go to the absolute bottom, but it does go down quite far and with clsrity and authority. It took some tuming once placement was established, but it was worth it! It must be listened to with music as well as movies to ensure the proper balance. Acoustic jazz and classical are best to help find the right settings for volume and rolloff frequency. There are enough controls to match this sub with almost any speakers.

Try "Lord of the Rings", when the ring is cut from sauron's finger or the opening attack on the base in qatar from Transformers. Really! and turn it up. Try Cloverfield, when the head of the Statue of Liberty lands in Manhattan. Then sit back have a fresh listen to your favorite music, preferably acoustic and full of bass and percussion. Try Passport's Infinity Machine, Idris Muhammad's Power of Soul, Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Holst - The Planets by SIMON RATTLE/Berliner Philharmonik. Enjoy yourself, just like I did - just like I am. I have touched up the tuning on very few occasions and only very slightly. sometimes with electronic music, I just like to add the bass. but generally, for acoustic music, I like to tune for accuracy. I do trust my ears and my ears tell me that this is a great sub and was worth the time and effort to get in tight, both in the purchase and in the tuning. for just about $550, I was able to skip the $2000 purchase for a pair of large full-range speakers(I won't mention the brand). I can't say enough about this sub, except I'm sorry I did not find this one sooner. What is best about this is that my son, the movie fan, is very impressed as well.

Product model year:   2007