NHT SW12
Description: <ul> <li>250-watt amp</li> <li>12" front-firing aluminum cone woofer</li> <li>frequency response 27-180 Hz (±3dB)</li> <li>continuously variable 40-180 Hz low-pass crossover</li> <li>speaker-level and line-level inputs</li> <li>dedicated LFE input and output</li> <li>phase switch</li> <li>bass-reflex design</li> <li>high-gloss black lacquer finish</li> <li>subwoofer: 13-1/2"W x 20"H x 15"D</li> </ul>

Submitted by ezyernie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is one tremendous subwoofer! I went shopping for a sub after listening to what a friend's 7.1 system sounded like on the DVD "Next". The avalanche scene was so loud, impactful and clean with the Orb subwoofer we had to turn the volume down. I was floored!

I needed a subwoofer that could deliver that my Polk 10Bs could not: a bottom end with such depth and force that complete the sonic experience at the bottom end of the spectrum. The sub needed to have a complete set of controls for crossover/rolloff frequency, volume control and room placement.

I listened to some showroom setups and was leaning to Velodyne until a buddy described his home theater with the all-NHT sound system. I found a Classic Twelve at Audio Advisor, on clearance(< $460.00, including shipping). It has proven to be the best singular component to make a difference in my audio system. The finish is one of the finest I've seen for a speaker, highly polished, pristine right out of the box.

Setup was quick and easy. Tuning the sub to the system is a trial-and-error effort that requires patience. I was able to locate the sub in a convenient location near the system and was able to do some tuning with minimal effort using the crossover and volume controls.

I listened to some truly percussive jazz by the group PASSPORT.
BAM!!! What power and depth and impact. and no ringing, booming or blurping of the bottom end. If you can, audition these in an audio-only implementation if you can. I believe you'll enjoy the experience.

I viewed several videos, including "Star Wars", "the Incredibles" and "NEXT". WOW! Hear the Millenium Falcon take off, enjoy the battle against Buddy's robot and marvel at the sustained fury of the avalanche caused by Jessica Biehl. I invited my friend with the Orb because I intend to return the favor. I'm sure we'll enjoy exchanging notes.

To me this Sub blows away any competition in the under $1,000.00 range.

My system includes:
Phillips HDTV 30PW9100D/37

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by nguyend6 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer is magnificient. I was in a market for a sub, after looking and audition several subs including JM lab 11 and 13 inch subs, B&W 650, Paradigm pw2100, HSU VTF2-MKII, Velodyne SPL1000R, Martin Logan, and others, I finally ended up with this sub. This NHT sub has a glamerous look with black piano finish and very good build quality. But what really impresses me is its sound quality, it is very musical. It sounds good for both music and hometheater, and it shines especially with music. The bass is clean, accurate, powerful allowing you to hear every note of music clearly. This even sounds better than the Velodyne SPL1000R ($1300) both in output volume and accuracy. Of the ones I listened to, only the Martin Logan Grotto, Depth can compete with this but they cost significantly more. For the price, nothing else can compare its musicality.

Here is my gear: