NHT SW2Pi

Submitted by mr random a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub without being able to listen to it first. After getting it home I tested it with Jurasic Park III it rattled my living room windows plenty. It made the dinosaurs seem as though they were in my house, I even had to turn it down for some movies. I tested it with the begining of Evolution while the amp was turned half way up, it tested at 97db. With out having to adjust the sub does not over power the front speakers while listening to music.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
My realtor gave me this sub for the referrals I gave him. My top priority was a sub that was musicial, i.e fast tight bass and not boomy. I needed a sub to blend with my Totem's floorstanders and can say this sub is quite seemless. It true, the sub is does not give bone crushing bass in movies, but nevertheless adequate.
I had a 12" Energy sub (good for movies, but too slow for music) and a 8" Energy sub, fast tight bass (but not deep enough). So I can say the NHT satisfied my needs.

Purchased At:   given by friend

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very solidly built, nice looking piece of equipment. It sounds great with my pair of SuperZeros, really fills in the bottom end nicely. I initially had this unit hooked up to my home theater. But a particularly bass-heavy Dolby Digital music track on a DVD led to some horrific distortion. I honestly thought the thing was going to blow. I don't think this subwoofer was really meant to handle loud digital movie soundtrack reproduction. I have since moved it to the bedroom for strictly music listening (at reasonable volumes). But I wouldn't recommend it for home theater. I put my trusty old JBL PSW-1200 back on home theater duty. It's not the world's greatest sub, but it will play a lot louder and deeper without the clipping.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Before I review, I have to say I have the SW2p not the i version. But, I have heared the i model and say it's about the same, without hearing the wind from my model at high levels because of the flared port.

I just love NHT products, they are extremely detailed...especially this subwoofer. Although you will not crack the foundation of your house with this sub, what you will get is very detailed and smooth base from top to bottom. I have not heared a better sub for under 1000 that I would rather own than this one. With music it is simply awesome, the detail of every note can be heared. With movies, the detail of the bass dosen't color the mid's with uneccesary energy and although it will not jar the fillings from your teeth, there is enough bass to upset your neighbors. Well, mine anyway. ; ).

Have fun, and if your in the market for a dual purpose mid sized music/theatre system, you cant go wrong here! If you are running a larger theatre, get TWO SW3p's.

Purchased At:   AV company I worked for

Submitted by Bobb Bernstein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I actually have the SW2Si which is the unpowered version of the 2Pi. No one sell passive subs anymore, I guess they don't make money out of you if they don't bundle the electronics. Am glad NHT still does, and I just love NHT's plain cube and shinny finish. Other subs I've looked at are weird shaped and/or cheaply finished. For some reason, I feel a sub must be square with sharp corners, don't ask me why. Don't feel the same way for the mains though. Also, other subs populate the rear panel with large knobs and binding posts, some even have them on the side! really messing up the aesthetic of the box. OK if you stuck it in a corner then you wouldn't care but most want it out a bit so you can reach back and work the knob(s). Another advantage of the the NHT design is what the controls are external to the box so you don't need to bother to reach back there. Back to why I wanted it passive. When I upgraded my stereo to HT, I already had a very nice AudioSource, slim stereo amp, which I liked very much, sonically and aesthetically, so all I did was to purchase two more stereo amps to drive the rears, then the center and the sub. See I don't need no powered sub, and all my amps match.

B&K 4090 DD/DTS/Tuner/Preamp/Control Center
3 Audiosource Amp2 driving the 6 channels 80wX6
(that's OK, I got a small room)