NHT 1259 Subwoofers

DIY 12" subwoofer driver

Submitted by PulseCodeModulat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Now Hear This. If you are on a budget, but need some serious low end reinforcement for your system, this is the subwoofer of choice. No inflated midbass. No slop or overhang in the low notes- Just clean, tight chest pounding performance in the lowest two octaves of human hearing. If ONE is not enough- (you bassheads!) TWO will take you to the threshhold and an officer may come to your door to verify what I am telling you. (NHT is NOT responsible for such occurances)

Purchased At:   Madisound

Submitted by kgveteran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
The 1259's came to me as a pair built by a fanatic in the rochester area.They weigh about a hundered pounds apiece.Two inch thick mdf.High gloss black.They had passive xovers in them.I trashed the xovers first.Then found they needed more insulation. so i stuffed them.I then hooked them up to my Ashly fet200's ( pro amps bridged in mono )About three hundered watts with great damping factors.Once the xover in my EAD was dialed into 65hz they sang that ol' song better than any sub i ever heard.They have been with me for about six years or so. Funny thing though, in my new room they have to be in the same corner.Stacked. If not they cancel each other out @50hz ( don't ask me they just did )I read about the wonders of subs but will really have to experience a revelation to even think about getting rid of them.I also picked up an old( twenty years to be exact )Ashly parametric CS-66 and killed a 15db peak at about 40hz. And just about 3db at about 80hz. Majic is the only thing left to say.Ask my son who watched Atlantis.Those subs don't even hint of a Stress problem.

Purchased At:   home made

Submitted by Joe Christman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked the 1259 on the basis of numerous good reviews. I also thought that the quality of construction was outstanding for the price. It is a solidly built driver that required very little cabinet tweaking to get excellent sound. I have very little regrets about the 100 lb box I built to use it.

Purchased At:   Madisound

Submitted by Jinho Park a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The best value DIY woofer on the market.

If you are thinking of doing a subwoofer project and saving money (which is why I would assume you are doing it yourself), look no further!!!

Submitted by andrew a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Put one in a 3cuft sealed enclosure, add a 300W amp, and you've basically got NHT's prebuilt sub models (they use this driver). I tried using this in an automobile, but sub is not really optimized for use in anything smaller than 2.5 cuft, and cabin gain peaks at 40Hz are nasty. An excellent home subwoofer for the do-it-youselfer, high output and high sound quality.

Purchased At:   madisound