Monitor Audio Silver RS W12 Subwoofers

• 1000W digital amplifier
  • 12” C-CAM front-firing driver

Submitted by beefwellington a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
This really is a wonderful piece of kit for those who love their bass. More than that though, it has the feel of quality in every way. The construction, design and finish are all superb, and sure enough, once you have it up and running the sound is of the same excellent quality. Whilst i wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, I've owned or used a great deal of different kit over the years, and i'd have to say the bass from the RSW12 is easily the best i've experienced in a home audio setup. Deep, tight, precise and uncoloured, it also manages to preserve all these qualities up to phenomenal volumes (mind the neighbours with this one!), and it really is very powerful. There are 2 eq modes, one for music and one going slightly lower for movies. I'm using it exclusively for music, but i don't believe there's been a film sound effect made that could trouble this sub. It really is very capable. And it terms of music it's a delight (after careful crossover tuning) adding seemless and effortless bass extension to small speakers. It's a joy with Arcam Musos.

Size is extremely modest with a reasonable WAF - there are plenty of smaller subs out there, but i really don't know of much that could boast the RSW12's power and depth without being a fair bit larger.

My only modest criticisms would be on the features front. There's no high-pass filter on the line outs, which (as another reviewer said) is poor at this price point. There's also no way to connect a high level (speaker cable) input, with is quite limiting with some setups, besides this seems to be the way many audiophiles recommend attaching subs. Other features are also fairly minimal, with just a simple crossover dial, a volume dial (front top), phase and 2 eq settings.

Having said that, these are very minor concerns in the face of the sheer quality of sounds and craftsmanship that this sub offers. I picked mine up for a bargain £300 ($500) when they were discontinuing, but I definitely think it's well worth the original $750 ($1200?) price tag considering the all round quality. I haven't heard it's replacement in the MA range (the RXW12) but i find it hard to believe there's all that much room for improvement.

Strenghs: Design, build quality, power, near flawless bass, goes very low.

Weaknesses: Light on features, makes you wish you lived in the countryside

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by polizeiwuffwuff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
this is one incredible subwoofer and i still cannot belive the luck i had pruchasing it for the price paid. new in box 300€... oh boy.

the rsw12 plays so deep and you still belive its your 120mm mid/bass driver
of your mainspeakers doing all the work since its so damn exact and precisious.
i connected the sub to the pre-out 60hz low passed, combined with a pair of phonar p20s and a 60hz highpass filter at the main-in. i swear i never heard so deep and precisious kontra bass before besides the local concert hall.

use a db peak meter and a tone generator to set it up right and you will be enlightened. =]

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had been using an Monitor ASW 110 subwoofer for about 2 years with my definitive technology BP-10's. The sound quality was excellent and I was happy with the sub. However, when Good Guys was bought out by Comp USA they put all of their monitor audio stuff on sale for 60% off. I bought this sub, 2 RS8's and 2 RS'1s for my rear theater speakers. This sub is the best I've owned. I've tried quite a few. I'm hearing notes I've never heard before. Movies are unbelievable. It has a complete array of manual controls which makes it relatively easy to set up. The cabinet is very high quality materials and workmanship. The price made it a fantastic purchase.

Purchased At:   Good Guys