Monitor Audio FB 212 Subwoofers

3.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

The FB 212 is a completely new sub-woofer design, from Monitor Audio. A compound push-pull (Isobaric) configuration has been implemented to produce extremely deep, powerful bass from a reasonably compact cabinet. New 12” bass drivers have been developed to incorporate Monitor Audio’s revolutionary C-CAMTM metal cone, built onto a heavy-duty die-cast alloy chassis. A powerful class A-B power amplifier supplies 360 watts R.M.S continuous power to provide firm grip and impressive sound pressure, right down to an earth-quaking 19 Hz.

Submitted by Dallas1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
The FB212 works very well in my listening room. It is probably the most musical sub I've owned. I've had a number over the past 15 years. It blends perfectly with my Monitor Audio GR20's. The variable phase control is a very helpful. The frequency response is relatively flat to 31hz...with a drop off of 5 db at 25hz. This is a subwoofer that accurately reproduces the level of bass in the recording...ie...if the recording is bass heavy it sounds bass heavy...if it is recorded with little bass you hear little bass. NOtes on a string bass are heard with distinction while the kick drum can come close to putting you thru the back of your chair. Movie soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan are reproduced with a certain amount of "shock and awe". It easily reproduces...in some cases...extreme amounts of bass in my 500+ square foot room. I really did not have to play around much with the placement in my room. It's within 10 inches of the right front corner of my listening room. As stated earlier I have no bad peaks or dips withing its operating range. Its the best response I've achieved without eq's.

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Now! AudioVideo

Submitted by 265honda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the first subwoofer I bought. It has good bass quality but it is hard to adjust to blend in to my system (Silver 7i, 12i, and 4i). Bass seems to be too much on some scenes or it simply not supposed be there. I have the volume set to 10 o'clock, phase at 1 o'clock, crossover is ~70 to 80 and Q is 0.5. Adjusting Q control does not have too much effect on sound. I believe there are some better sub's out there selling for less. I was thinking to go with M&K 150 MK II THX Ultra but changed my mine in the last minute.

Submitted by smokehouse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I work at a Monitor audio dealership and are using their subs on a daily basis. When it comes to bass, I have been in the business for almost 10 years. As a matter of fact I build custom sub because of products like this. This sub is completely overpriced. The muddy, manipulated sound it produces is completely uncalled for figuring the price. Sure this unit is loud, but try running a 15Hz tone through it, chances are you won't get anything, why? This thing drops off at well above 20Hz. The asking price of $2000 is a slap in the face to true audio fans such as myself. I sell a custom sub running off of a QSC pro-amp@450wpc that can stay linear well below 20hz. playing 15hz @15ft it will produce 112db at the above mentioned power. And at a price of $1500. Including a custom finish. I'm not selling my subs online, I'm just making a point. If I can produce a sub that will run circles around a $2000 unit, anyone can.

Submitted by Bill N a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
When I first got it home and hooked up I was alarmed by the sound. The sub drew way too much attention to itself. My first test was with a friends Roger Waters concert dvd and I was unfamiliar with the base content on the opening song. I spent some time listening to familiar music and movies and realized I had to dial it down alot (between 9 and 10 o'clock). I also changed from by-pass to low-pass so I can control the crossover mysef. I am using a Yamaha dsp-a1 and I don't have enough control over base information being sent to the sub.
After making the adjustments and listening to dvd audio and watching some favorite movies, I am amazed with this subwoofer. It blends great with my monitor audio silver series speakers both visually and sonically. The base on the shotgun blast in Terminator 2 when Arnold is about to "take the man's bike" used to seem to last too long with my old subs. Now you feel the powerful blast in your chest but it doesn't hang on like before.
When listening to George Bensens Dvd Audio disc which is really light on the base track ,I can dial up my sub level and and have it respond quickly and accurately without ruining the overall sound of the music.
I am loking forward to discovering the improoved sound as I listen longer and continue to upgrade my hardware.

current hardware
monitor audio silver 4s as surrounds

Purchased At:   Air Tel

Submitted by tim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub is incredible-the most musical sub I've ever heard and it rocks for movies!