Martin Logan Dyanamo

Submitted by DMB a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had my eye on this sub as the dynamo had been on sale at a few places and though I had heard it in a large showroom I really wanted to get one home and see what the difference would be between it and my current Velodyne DLS 3500R. Um, yeah so the Velodyne was listed on craigslist after the first day... Seriously. Of course a 10 will go lower and out perform an 8 in most cases, though this was an alarming difference in all areas, specifically articulation, and deep deep bass with no distortion. None. Other subs I considered and listened to were definitive supercube, Prosub, REL, Velodyne, Klipsch, used M&Ks... nothing comes close to touching the dynamo...

Submitted by mittg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am using the dynamo in my 2 channel system for the left channel only. The dynamo is musical,tight and fast. It is set up as a down firing sub. Although it can be set up as a front firing sub. On the right channel is an M & K kx-12 sub. Testing has been done with pipe organ music, Dagda, Pink Floyd and for some really synthesized very low sounds, lustmord "the place where the dark stars hang". The Dynamo is not boomy. It is precise with jazz bass notes. Very pleasing to the ear. The only negative is that there are no speaker outs. The sub is hooked to the preamp then power amp.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by victemizer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
I usually read these reviews and see a lot of 4's and 5's. I usually think "there is someone who wants to think they made a good purchase".

So here I go. When I was looking for a sub, I only wanted to spend around $500. I listened to all of the subs in that price range, but didn't like ANYTHING I heard. I started listening to subs in the $1000 range for comparison purposes. I was real close to buying a M&K when I first heard the Dynamo. Holly smokes was I impressed! Nice tight bass when listening to music, loud booming explosions when watching movies. What more could I want? Maybe a larger driver... While you get nice tight accurate response from this little unit, you don't get that "feeling" you get when there is big hit. Lets face it a larger driver pushes lot more air. Here is the catch. The subs with larger drivers in this price range tend to "rumble" after the note, or explosion should have been long over. So... We are back to a sub over $1000 to get that tightness.

I did find plenty of subs that I liked better, but none were under $1000. So I will qualify my rating by classifying it as the "under $1000" class. If you are looking for the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK, this is it!!!

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by Will a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've got to say, i've used many subwoofers. some large, some small, some highly rated, some not so highly rated. If you have $600 to invest in a sub, look no further. The Martin Logan Dynamo is small but EXTREMELY powerfull. It out performs a 600 watt 15" Wharfedale sub without breaking a sweat. It's super small so the wife factor is not an issue. And it sounds incredible with music and movies. Let it break in for the recommende 30 hours before you submise your final judgement. But, I have to tell you, even out of the box, not broken in, it sounds great, and just gets better and better. For the same price of a Klipsch RW-12 (or was it RSW? Don't remember) the ML Dynamo smokes the klipsch. I did a side by side. The Klipsch is easily twice as large, twice the power and contains a 12" woofer, and the ML just kills it. I highly recommend!

Submitted by wafflebird a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
This sub is the end of a progression for my bedroom system. I had recently progressed from a Kenwood receiver to a Pioneer. The Kenwood did not have an RCA sub out. In had recently purchased a Velodyne VX-10 sub which I had hooked up via speaker wires. Once I updated my new Pioneer receiver it was evident that the VX-10 just wasn't doing it for me. I did have it hooked up properly via the sub out, it just really did not have much output and I had to have the gain turned up almost all the way. So off on a quest I went. Took the VX-10 back to Sound Advice and looked earnestly at all of their small subs. I needed small due to the placement options in the bedroom. I nearly left because nothing really was doing it for me but was caught by one of the Salesmen I have known there for years and he asked "Have you looked at this yet" pointing to the Dynamo. Well no I hadn't. Now it is from Martin Logan which is like saying Mercedes Benz. I did not even really listen to the one they had hooked up because it was out in the wide open. I took a chance and took it home. It won't be going back or leaving my system. This sub is very, very refined. The ability to make it forward or down-firing is a very nice feature. This sub is so good for music after I placed it in my bedroom system I found myself listening to music more and more in my bedroom instead of my main HT room. The sub came packaged very well and was very protected. It is hefty for it’s' size. The quality of the control knobs and the equipment on the control panel is first rate to put it mildly. The resistance of the knobs you feel when you turn them defines quality, and the dials themselves are machined from metal, not plastic as the majority of subs these days, regardless of the manufacturer. Martin Logan includes carper spikes as well as rubber feet for the base plate of the sub. The base plate has 4 posts that the sub rests on. You can remove the base plate and rotate the sub 90 degrees and convert it from forward firing to downward firing. The posts then use the same holes that the grill uses when it is set up as forward firing. The manual tells you to give the sub 50 hours before doing any critical listening, but it sounds fantastic right out of the box. Although I do believe it did get even better after 50-100 hours. Let me tell you one thing, for music in this price-range there is not even a worthy competitor. This sub makes it as if the bass player is in your room with you. Every note is detailed to the point that if you close your eyes you can see the bass strings being played, it is simply that accurate. For movies it is great also, especially for a small to medium sized room. It is not however the end all HT subwoofer. It is only a 200 watt sub. It puts out plenty of clean tight well defined bass, it reproduces everything that is there (down to about 20Hz in my room) and adds nothing else to it. But it will not wallop you like the big 14" 1800 watt sub I have in my main room. But what it does with 200 watts is simply astounding. I originally had it behind a large armoire but it actually shook the backing panel loose and was causing a buzzing sound due to this piece vibrating, so I had to reposition it. If you are looking for a GREAT sub in this size and price-range I can tell you look no further. I have had this sub for over a year and I still smile every time I just look at it, it brings me that much joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Sound Advice