Martin Logan Descent

Submitted by ejs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
There are pros and cons to everything therefore one can only place value on a product when its proven its worth to YOU. I've found Martin Logan's to be a speaker line you either love or hate. YOUR ears are the only judge! Its like shopping for that perfect sweater to wear to a party hosted by some new friends. You'll know it when you see it!....in this case, hear it.

Over the years, I've listened to hundreds of speakers and no matter the cost, the benchmark or what someone says is the best; I knew when a speaker sounded good to my ears. I first listened to the Logan's 15yrs ago and knew, this was a speaker "my" ears could enjoy listening to for a long time. I've demo'd my Aeon i's with many sources, media and electronics and one thing is true; they crave POWER. As with any 4ohm output device, efficiency will always be questioned.

Without sufficient power (i.e. 150w/channel minimum) you will not be able to enjoy the Logan's at their full potential. I listen to Contemporary, Classical, Fusion and Big Band Jazz, R&B, Hip Hop and Opera. My Logan's are in a dedicated HT configuration (15'W x 24D') so I also watch movies, sporting events, concerts, etc. Through all these formats, the Aeon i's perform beautifully.

Everything from water drops to helmets clashing; these speakers can reproduce sounds that are sometimes so real you have to turn the lights on to make sure the movie producers aren't in the room. And if setup correctly, you will hear sounds in your old music recordings you've never heard before...incredible.

The speed, sound and accuracy reproduced from the Descent is fascinating. Even at low volumes, the LFE is so defined yet transparent. As you'll hear many enthusiast say, your subwoofer should be felt, not heard. This guy will fill a room with such quick responsive, tight LFE, you'll swear your entire house is having the same experience. There's allot of great subs on the market but none that performs like the Descent at this price. "My opinion!"

Demo the Descent and let your feelings be the judge. Don't purchase the Descent, or any speakers/electronics because someone says its the best. Let your ears, mind, body and soul be the judge.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Magnolia

Submitted by rjdriver a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
This sub is for anyone that is looking for a fast, musical subwoofer at a reasonable price. If you are using Martin Logan or Magnaplanar speakers, this should be a no brainer. I have tried several others, but nothing integrates like this with my ML Ascent I's. It adds a spaciousness to good recordings that just disappears without it, even during passages that have little bass information. I believe resale prices and availability speak volumes for a products true value. These are rare on the used market, a bring near msrp for a reason-they're worth it! Setup and dial in are quick and painless. I listen to vinyl and sacd primarily and this sub reveals every ounce of resolution in the source.

I held out for over a year after buying my speakers, trying various subs and tweaking placement. 1 hour after unpacking I was floored by my new system, taken to the next level. If you can afford the entry fee, don't hesitate. I waited to get a demo at a small discount.

Purchased At:   phoenix communicatio