M&K VX-7 MK II Subwoofers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $495.00

Compact Subwoofer

Submitted by lsmar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
Great compact sub with an even propensity for music and HT. Although it doesn't really hit the low-lows, it mates well with my Definitive Technology BP6 main speakers in my bedroom. Together they provide a great sound field with tight bass and perfect imaging.

Submitted by JAMS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
After listening to some different systems of my friends, from cheap Sony based ones to "state of the art" JM Labs units, I think this Sub is kind of the entry level into serious things. It sounds great when you consider the size (in my case also the price, I got it in a store where people didnt actually know what it was).
I have found it difficult to tune it to the rest of my speakers (Klipsch`s).

Purchased At:   Caracas, Venezuela

Submitted by Audioman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
It took a long time for me to appreciate this sub. When I first bought it, I did not know that much about powered subwoofers or their purpose. But now after it has broken in (and I have calibrated my receiver to the correct Db's!), I have come to enjoy the quality bass that M&K creates.

I only use the sub for movies on cable, and of course DVD's. My speakers pick up the slack when I want to listen to music. The reproduction of quality LFE's is incredible for the size of this sub. I have some good cable running to the sub, which makes a difference on the tightness of bass, and I have come to truly enjoy my purchase. It only took me 10 months to do this. Would I recommend this sub? Only if you use it for Home Theater, not for music. I also agree with others who say this sub is overpriced. The Klipsch KSW-12 is much more powerful for the same price. But you decide.... Quality or Quantity??

I'll stick with M&K...

Purchased At:   contemporary sounds

Submitted by K So a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased my M&K VX-7 in 1993. I chose this one for size and because my listening room was not big enough for anything that produced deep deep bass. It has proved quite good in my system over the years. Last month, the guillotine plastic speaker terminals broke and I found that they were not easily replaceable because they were rivetted and epoxied to the power amp circuit board. The speaker came with a 5 year warranty and this being 7 years old, it was going to cost me some money to fix. I emailed M&K and they told me about their distributor in my area. I brought it to the distributor (instead of just sending it to some local speaker place to have it fixed). The distributor said M&K had extended the warranty to 10 years!! :) and for simplicity's sake, they just replaced the entire amp board with a MK II board under warranty. I was quite surprised and pleased.

Purchased At:   HiFi Centre - Vancouver

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Cute and accurate for small room. MUCH better than the $800 MX-100 which is a joke no matter what you hear about boundary reinforcement, etc.