M&K MX-200

Submitted by dlivin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've been around long enough to know M&K's history and reputation. When I found an MX200 on craigslist, I raced 20 miles to pick it up. That was 2 years ago and I'm still thrilled with the performance of this sub. Pipe organ music is outstanding, home theater performance is riveting, cd's come alive with low-end programming that few people get to hear (feel, rather). As mentioned, it requires responsibility to not offend the neighbors.

Submitted by Somthame a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I don't know why there are not more reviews posted on this sub. It is an excellent product. For sure, it's pricey but it will probably be the last sub that you'll ever need to buy. Previously, I owned a M&K V-125. A pretty good sub! It worked well with music and was game with movies but it's tendency to "bottom-out" and distort in the lower extremities of some movie material left me feeling somewhat deprived and displeased. A real bass work-out like "The Fast and the Furious" soundtrack on DVD would have been a trying task for the V-125 but the MX-200 waltzed through this difficult material with precision, style, power, and grace.
I auditioned several subs (Polk, Mirage, DefTech, NHT, Velodyne, Paradigm)before my purchase. To these ears, the MX-200 was the best all-around performer. My better half nearly threw me out of the house when she found out that I spent over a grand for a sub but the MX-200 has easily won her favor (as I knew it would). This sub kicks butt!!!

Purchased At:   Uncle''s Stereo

Submitted by Mark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had to return the first delivery because the sub did not work, adding to that problem, the wood was damaged
right out of the box. This sub can really punch out the bass, using 2-12 drivers in a push-pull configuration.
The MX200 sub can definitely move the air around it, shaking the walls and rattling everything that is not
nailed down. The Bass is tight and controlled, with good definition. I have the gain set at -3db to better match
my main speakers; plainer speaker are used here. I was disappointed after further examination revealed that the driver(s) frame was stamped and not cast from aluminum. Also, the magnets are exposed. I removed the amp and noticed a minimal of components were used. The craftsmanship of the enclosure is first rate. I will say the speaker can put out allot of energy. The MX200 were not designed for A/V, instead it is meant to complement your audio system. I think it does a fine job of reproducing the low frequencies. Although, considering their price, I'm not sure they are the best choice?

Submitted by Tony Knapcik a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
When ever i have my friends come over we can pump this baby up! My neighboors across the street always call the cops because the bass shakes their houses. My friends have the JBL's but they arn't all what they are cracked up to be. Mine defenetly has a lot more deep bass and power.M&K IS THE BOMB!!!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Wally Eggers a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my MX-200 for almost three years; and this sub has impressed me from day one! In my opinion, it is a perfect compliment to the M&K satellites.

Musically, it delivers tight, accurate bass; and it plays well at all listening levels. Even at extremely loud listening levels, this sub has never faltered.

In a home theatre environment, this thing is absolutely incredible! The MX-200 redefines the meaning of deep bass. Just watch "The 5th Element" on DVD and you will understand what I am talking about,

One word of caution: you may want to warn your neighbors before you crank this monster up. It will not only rumble your house, but theirs too!

I highly recommend this sub!

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi Fi