Jensen JS-800 Subwoofers

3.17/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $99.99

Jensen JS-800 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by Kevin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This sub is acoustic suspension- meaning it has no port on the outside, rather it's sealed with a port on the inside. This changes the way it reproduces the lows. This unit is rated at 100 watts but it distorts past 60% power for me. It produces a thunder-like bass that's great for movies and some music. The only problem is it's not powerful enough. This sub is great for a filler- an additional sub- or in a small room, as you can feel it slightly. For $42 it's worth the price.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by gmilitano a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
OVERALL
I purchased this sub for $69 Canadian. It has good sound and I would consider this a very good buy for the price I paid. Consider this sub for small rooms or as an entry level sub.

SOUND
This is an 8-inch 100 Watt (peak power) bottom firing subwoofer with no port hole. The sound is good, but does distort at higher volumes. The actual listening power is more like 50 watts. I set the volume at a little over half.

I own two of these subs. I use one to compliment my small JBL center channel and the other to compliment my small rear JBL sattelites. The subs perform well in this role and are also well suited as an entry level sub or for a small room.

SUMMARY
For the price, this is a very good buy. In some instances is outperforms $100 and $150 CDN subs. Good for use in a supporting role or in a small room.

Purchased At:   Visions Electronics

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I really like this sub. It's great for movies and music. It sounds more like thunder instead of slamming. I've had it in a room that's probably 15x15 and it's got plenty of bass. However, if you're one of those people that loves to make your neighbors on the next block hear your sound then this isn't for you. It's a great sub and will rattle the house but it is an 8 inch and if you want bragging rights or constantly blast your equipment to the point of overheating then don't get this.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Klev7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I almost ordered this sub via the web. I am so happy I did not! I went to Circuit City to check out their subs and noticed the Jensen. The sales guy told me that they were stopping sales of the 800. I asked him to hook it up despite his negative review. I soon found out why he thought it to be a less than average sub. It was a just one big ball of distortion. Despite attempts to adjust the gain, this unit just could not cut it. It may be fine for a PC system but this sub is not for any serious audio set up. You get what you pay for I guess.

Submitted by Yamagobee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this for Christmas as I wanted to add more bass to my system, but not spend a lot of money. For the price it's a decent sub, but I think later on I'll be looking for something with deeper, louder bass.

Purchased At:   REX Audio Video Appl