JBL E250P Subwoofers

4.38/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

• FreeFlow™ flared port
  • Digital amplifier
  • Line Level (switchable to LFE) and Speaker Level with 5-way binding post speaker terminals
  • Level and crossover-frequency controls
  • Phase switch
  • The computer-designed, lock-mitred cabinet virtually eliminates distortion
  • Slim design

Submitted by EFE Speakers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
The E250P performs very well for the price range it sells at. The only advice I can give to everybody that owns it is this, DO NOT USE "the auto on" feature! That is what causes this sub as well as many others to burn up sooner or later. Simply shut the sub off when not in use, it will last a lot longer and be trouble free! The "auto on" circuit has been the problem with several different subwoofer amps over the last few years and has caused the same problem as the reviewer below experienced. Other than that, keep the frequency adjusted to below 80Hz for clean bass!

Submitted by harley .guy07 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer 6 years ago and I have ran it with a Yamaha receiver and as far as sound quality goes it did sound good up untill yesterday when the crazy thing all of a sudden caught fire in the plate amp on the back panel and quit working all together plus stinking up the house with the smell of burnt capacitors and transisters. Up until that point it did do a good job and never distorted. I did take it apart and found a few things that JBL did skip or do wrong to save money and time. they did not line the cabinet walls with any kind of dampening material or use any sort of polly stuffing which the poly stuffing is optional to tune the box. And they used 5/8" thick MDF for the box construction instead of the normal 3/4 or even 1 inch thick matterial which would have been better. In fact I would tell anyone still using this subwoofer to at least take the woofer out and line the cabinets with a dampening material and possibly tune with poly stuffing for your use. I really think this would help an allready good for the money subwoofer. the woofer in mine is still good so most likely I will get a new plate amp from Parts Express and use this woofer and cabinet at least for now untill I want to completely change the woofer and cabinet. I have allready rated this product a few years ago as excellent and would still do so for the money spent if it would not have tried to burn my house down.

Submitted by bergie67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have owned this product for about 2 years. Hasn't disappointed me yet. I use it with a JVC RX-9010 5.1 surround sound receiver, JBL EC35 center channel, a couple of Polk Audio RT25 rears and Mirage Frx-seven in the front. All 6 produce a sound that can make it feel like Dave Matthews is in your living room. Used in either stereo or surround mode, it produces everything you need to hear from a subwoofer. A nice feature is that you can pump it up enough to make you sick of the bass and then draw back on it until you reach your preferred level of growl. I owned a couple of subs before buying this one and was never happy. I got lucky and waited until the price came down before buying it. Now I see them on eBay occasionally for less than $300. If you can buy it for that, I would highly recommend it. And unless you're trying to light up a concert hall, you won't need more wattage.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by JBL is Junk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great subwoofer WHILE IT LASTS! I had a PB12, same subwoofer except it was a down-firing design. Exact same circuit board! I mostly used it for TV audio. It died 3 months after the 1 year warranty was up. I found out on the internet that was typical, and JBL would not repair them! It was a flawed design!

So I contacted the the Harman Consumer Group (JBL) and they sold me a replacement E250P for about $250. This one lasted almost 2 years! It has the exact same circuit board as the PB12, and the exact same fried componentsI Good luck with your JBL piece of junk!

Purchased At:   JBL as PB12 Replacem

Submitted by Electronic junky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
ok.. my system is as follows : receiver - Yamaha HTR-5890 Fronts - JBL E60 Center - EC35 rears yamaha's with 8" woofers.. dont know model..
all i can say is wow.. im constantly getting yelled at to turn it down.. long range loud tight nd clean sound.. for the price cant beat it.. i was looking at a velodyne but went with this.. sound alot better then the DSP-12 hey im 15 years old..and i know what im doing..

Purchased At:   bestbuy

How good is the JBL E250P ?

Hi, I'm from Italy, I'm looking for a sub to replace my jamo E4 sub.1 which is a toy (70 w 8" cone, 45 hz minimum, my main towers go down to 31 hz...) I have two big towers as front (canton le-109) and canton le-105 as central, two wharfedale wh-20 dipoles as surround, the room is approximatel ... Read More »