Janis W1 Subwoofer Subwoofers

3.83/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

15in driver

Submitted by Bill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
some of the reviews I read really DO NOT do this design justice. This is a music lovers unit. This is not a home theater boom boom box, which many are use to. if you enjoy clean real sounding bass from instruments, not synthsized sounds this is the unit and still is. For the maoney NO competition.

Purchased At:   ind

Submitted by Stuart McYes a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased a W1 used with no xover/amp. I use it with my
Lexicon Cp3 xovered at 80hz@24db per octave slope.
I can honestly say this is one of the best subs ive ever
used..even without servo feedback. This baby puts out
some lows better then most ive ever heard in home audio
gear, and ive heard alot of subs. I would recomend this
sub to anyone on the face of the planet for a seamless
real subwoofer. Were not talkin thumpin boomin trash.
Were talkin a quality "bass there only when its there"
sound. :)
If you write the company with your serial number they
have the specs on your sub on paper with test charts they
will send you. Every one is tested and documented

Purchased At:   Salon Audio/ used

Submitted by Mojo Jojo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I formerly owned a pair of W1's with the electronic crossover mated to a pair of modified DQ10's. Easy setup with various amp combinations. The sound was there I suppose, but the setup didn't impart the solid bass I expected and the crossover was too noisy for my taste. The DQ10s did their part, but after about four years, I sold the W1s.

The furniture finish was first rate, so if you need to please the significant other, the box is not that objectionable (but you still will have wire running everywhere). We tried these with some friend's electrostatice, and they blended very well. Just my $.02!

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
The W1 must be set up properly to perform properly. This includes room placement, an appropriate crossover (at least 18dB per octave), and phase compensation (the Janis crossover/amp is very useful here).

I use only one W1 in a recording studio with three Tannoy NFM 8 studio monitors and two Tannoy System 8 monitors in the rear. As you can tell, I monitor in both stereo and surround modes since surround is becomming so common. I'm able to get a seamless match and all the bottom that is actually there (always tempting to turn it up beyond its proper level). I set it up by ear and then follow up with a spectrum analyzer. I have in the past used low frequency eq though as I am sure you know this has both positive and negative consequences. It's realy not necessary, however, if you take the time to set it up.

Submitted by JC Gunnar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had two Janis W-1 subs. Circa 1993. I am the curious sort, especially when it comes to seeing how a subwoofer is built, i.e., the driver/s in particular. So, I took one apart. Now, before I piss a lot of people off... As long as these were set up correctly the sound was very accepatable. I suspect that because of the inherent design of the system, you are simply not going to get the visceral 'slam' or impact that a forward firing sub can provide. This can be ok, depending on what type of music you are listening to. Fair enough.

Alright, so I disassemble the unit and inspect the driver. I could not believe that this expensive looking piece of fine furniture could not only house, but reproduce adequate LF response with such a cheap driver! Now, when I say cheap, I don't mean stamped basket with a decent sized magnet and foam rubber surround that you can buy at an auto-sound dealership for $25.00 I am talking about this: A driver that could not have possibly cost more than $20.00 wholesale. A magnetic structure that was at the most 2 lbs. The cheapest of cheap paper cone material, folded paper surround and stamped, sheet metal basket.

I go on like this because it was to me, truly unbelieveable. And a tremendous let down to boot. I was able to rationalize the cabinetry for the cost, that's it. I am telling you, even at a garage sale, I never saw such a cheaply manufactured 15"' driver in my life. Period. My two cents based on a real-life experience, thats all. I can't and won't take away anything from the good sound and other good attributes of this unit nor, slam anybody for owning or contemplating a purchase of one.

Regards,