HSU Research VTF-2 Subwoofers

4.73/5 (126 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Built-in 150 Watt amp. 25 Hz bass extension. 30-90 Hz, 24 dB/Oct bypassable low pass filter. "Class A rating" in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. Reviewer''s Choice Award 2000 in Sound & Vision.

Submitted by dave03hdd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer kicks butt for the money. I've had my share of subwoofers over the years,this one sounds great. Of course if I could afford it,I'd get an aerial acoustic,but I digress... I'm one of those "If it dosn't sound perfect,turn it off!" Teamed up with my B&W's 603S,it pack's just the right punch. But I will say this,and all you audiophilies know this. cable's,cables,cable's. If you use a cheap subwoofer cable,your missing out!! I'm using Audioquests Black Thunder,and man the kick drum never sounded better! Not to mention,this is a very good LFE subwoofer.

Purchased At:   HSU

Submitted by deliriou5 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have already left one review for this product. NOw that I've had it for 2 & 1/2 years, I figure it's time for another review. The sub has peformed FLAWLESSLY for every day of the past 2.5 years. I do not use it every day...more like once a week. But, when i do use it, I REALLY use it...playing loud and deep (easily breaking 100 db consistently for an hour or so of my listening session). The sub still sounds great and, aside from a little bit of dust, it looks great as well. I couldn't be happier with it. I would heartily recommend Hsu Research products to anyone who's in the market for a true subwoofer. Their value and performance quotient is unprecedented. Negative reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. Every product has to be considered within it's price point. A Ferrari isn't credibly compared with a toyota, no matter how many options the toyota has. Now totyotas are nice cars, but they don't begin to comapre to an Itlaian exotic costing as much as the toyota owner's house. mLet's be real here, folks. This is not the best sub ever...it might be one of the best sub ever, for its price...hence the numerous awards and rave reviews. Try to match its performance for anythign near 4-500 dollars. I dare you. At the very least, it's a wash and the sub has an equal...but it never diminshes the quality of this sub. Don't hesitate to purchas eone of these if it's in good working order; it will serve you very well. I'm a customer...and so are my dad and my brother. FWIW...

Purchased At:   Hsu Research Online

Submitted by Futureman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm really learning to take this site with a grain of salt. Either the general public are bumbling idiots or manufacturers are posting their own reviews. I bought this sub based on the reviews of others here. I will admit for the money this a pretty decent sub, but that statement needs to be stressed, "for the money". You get what you pay for. However, if you set this sub up properly, it can do a decent job...mostly with movies. I usually turn it off for two channel music enjoyment. It just gets in the way at that point. It's definitely not all that everyone here makes it out to be.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by chicagoish a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sounded great when it was working. However, in the 4 years I had this sub, it broke 3x, the first two times it cost me $100++ for repair, and I had to wait two weeks to get the sub back from HSU. After it broke the third time I moved on.

Purchased At:   From HSU

Submitted by A-V fan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
The VT-2 provides unbeatable sound for a low initial cost. I tested mine with the Stereo Review audio setup disk, and this unit provided clean, voluminous sound down to 26Hz. If you live in an apartment or a condo, you'll never come close to realizing its full potential.

On the downside, my VT-2's signal detection circuit, the one that turns on the power to the unit, failed after three years, out of warranty. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of passive drivers.

Personally, I expect modern electronics to be nearly bulletproof; I've never experienced a failure in any piece of audio equipment I've ever owned - until now.

I've had three great years of solid bottom end with the HSU VT-2, but I'm disappointed with the electronic failure and the prospect of shipping and repair expense.

Purchased At:   direct