HSU Research TN-1225HO Subwoofers

4.87/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $359.00

Passive subwoofer with 25 Hz bass extension. 250 Watts RMS power handling 25 Hz and up. High-efficiency driver.

Submitted by Dana a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to a previous post. I encountered a problem with my 250w amp and upgraded to the Model 500 along with a second 1225. It was everything and more that I expected. The factory 91Hz module in the crossover did not work well at all with my system. I ordered a few to have on hand and ended up with the 52Hz. The bass blends absolutely perfect. The subs are right behind my recliner and no one can ever tell where the heck they are. When I say turn around, they are shocked. I guess they don't see 3 foot cylinders and think subwoofer. I have a friend with a Velodyne 12in sub. It is very impressive and really shakes the house. But I can always tell where it is and the bass is just different. In ways, I think it seems to have more impact than mine, but the Hsu is just more smooth. I guess it is the box coloration that has been referred to. I just can't wait till I can afford to get out of my apartment, so I can really turn them loose. I wholeheartedly recommend the TN series. I believe that they only offer the 1220 now, so it is a little more money, and less subtle visually, but should sound even better.

Purchased At:   Hsu Research

Submitted by Frank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the TN1225 with the 250 watt amp.This is a truly great sub. The purchase of this sub is the completion of my two channel system which consists of Triangle Celius speakers, a Sunfire clasic tube pre-amp, a Belles 150A hotrod amp, and AH tjoeb CD player. I considerd the VTF 2 but am glad I got the TN1225. I already have a VTF in my home theater system and it is a great sub for the money so I was not sure it was worth the extra money for the TN. I think it was! The TN 1225 is so clean. I think it blends better with my main speakers.The bass just apears like moving air. I asked Dr Hsu what the differance was between the two subs was and he said that the TN was free of box coloration. I guess this is what he meant. The extra 100 watts helps too. This sub is clean, loud, low, and the best I have ever heard. If you have a large room or want a better quality musical sound then buy the TN 1225 otherwise get the VTF 2 either way you will be happy. I have one small quality control issue with the sub when I got it it did not work. I took it apart and realized that the leads had come unpluged from the speaker. Once connected and broken in for about 50 hours it sounds fantsastic. Takeing it apart made me realize that Hsu spent the money on the speaker not necessarily the cabnet. The construction of the cylinder that houses the woofer could have been stronger but lets face it's not like we are not going to be sitting on it or anything. I can not fault the sound it is truly awesome. The shape of the sub makes for more placement options and the power amp is compact and well laid out I think the look is a lot cooler then all the Black cubes out there.

Purchased At:   hsu reaserch

Submitted by Frank Prest a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I decided to buy a subwoofer I shopped around a bit and nearly bought a $1500 REL but it wasn't in stock and I'd have to wait. This gave me a chance to look around a bit. When I went to another high end retailer he told me he had nothing that was "musical" for less than $2000. Since the REL cost more than I wanted to spend this wasn't going to work either. So I looked on the web and found HSU reasearch. I'm very glad I did.

It took me about 3 listening / viewing sessions to get the sub integrated with my soon to be replaced Def Tech BP10s. Contrary to my expectations the Electronic crossiver in my HT reciever didn't seem to sound as good as just using the variable Low Pass Filter on the 150 Watt Amp I purchased with the Sub. I believe this is due to phase problems causing a suckout at the crossover frequency on one or other of the channels. Having the sub just roll off a little sooner than this doesn't give you the best responce but avoids interference and therefore soundstage problems. Once I got this right the positioning of the sub mattered little and I could not locate the source of the low frequency sound.

Music is more important to me than Home Theater effects and I am glad to say the HSU research TN1225HO did not dissapoint me in this respect. While not blending perfectly, the added weight in Orchestral, Blues and Rock music is certainly a significant improvement.

When it comes to Home Theater, I would have to describe the performance of the HSU sub as outstanding. A whole new dimension is added with the addition of a subwoofer and I have yet to view a DVD that caused the HSU any trouble (although I have had to re-mount several wall ornaments that had an annoying tendancy to rattle).

As the reviews have stated this Sub is a steal. Furthermore it's low price makes it conceivable to purchase two so that you can have a stereo pair and if your room allows, avoid the always troublesome blending problems that occur when listening to music.

Purchased At:   HSU Research

Submitted by Vidmaven3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub to replace an M&K 125MkII. I was looking for a sub that was tighter with less bloom but could still go deep. I read about 100 reviews and decided that the HSU sub was what I was looking for. I spoke to Dr. Hsu and he told me that I did not need to buy the Hsu Sub Amp if I already had a good A class amp all I would need was the bass optimizer. I got this sub last week and hooked it up and stuck it in the corner of my dedicated home theater. The first track I played was Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" OH MY GOD! I thought my house was going to crumble down around me. The bass was so tight and deeper than I expected and I was only at half volume on the bass optimizer! On movie tracks it gives you so much slam that you may need to cross over your mains higher in order to send more to this sub because it can definitely handle it, and it will improve the sound of your mains as well. This sub is subtle when it needs to be but it can grab you and shake you when the time comes. I would recommend anyone looking for a great sub that has $1500 to spend save your money and spend $350 on this sub + $350 for the amp if you don't already have one laying around or $100 for the bass optimizer if you do. I believe it would be hard to beat the performance of this sub for under $2000.

System (Combination Dedicated Home Theater and Audiophile System):
Def Tech BP2002TL
Def Tech BP2004TL
Def Tech BP2x
Def Tech C/L/R/ 2500
Magnepan MMG's (for stereo audiophile listening)(also unbelievable bang for your buck!)
M&K 125 MKII
Outlaw Audio 1050 Receiver(as pre-amp)
Acurus A250 (3)
Acurus A150 (2)
Acurus A200x3
Toshiba SD 5700 DVD
Marantz Laser Disc Player
Mitsubishi WS65908 65" HDTV RPTV
Lexicon DC-1 (for stereo audiophile listening)
HSU TN1225HO
HSU Bass Optimizer
Playstation 2
X Box
Dreamcast

Purchased At:   800stereo.com

Submitted by Iva a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The TN1225HO subwoofer is an excellent buy for the money. I've had the subwoofer for about two years and it has added many hours of listening pleasure.

I purchased this subwoofer based upon the many reviews I had read. If you're looking for a good subwoofer at a decent price, it's hard to beat an HSU subwoofer.

You'll definitely raise alot of eyebrows when your friends first hear this subwoofer. It plays low musical notes very well - no bloom or thumps. Low sound effects from movies play really well on the this subwoofer. And yes, this sub can definitely rattle a few walls. For wall rattling bass, try the opening sequence to Independence Day. The "new" THX sound demo on the Star Wars - Phantom Menace DVD is most impressive - lots of booms and blasts, then a smooth blending of bass with the ever increasing THX sound demo. The POD race sequence sounds really good with the HSU subwoofer. My son usually says,"Cool!!" when he hears the "new" THX sound demo blasting away with all of that bass!! Though the sound track for the movie Unbreakable is "minimal", the HSU subwoofer really brings out those smooth bass sounds at various places. Even TV soundtracks sound much better - especially "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."

Overall, this subwoofer is a good buy for the money. One word of warning - if you purchase the new 250 watt amp for the TN1225HO, it is susceptible to line noise. A little over two years ago I purchased this sub with the 250 watt amp. I had some problems with the "older" 250 watt amp - it started hissing really bad, then an AC hum showed up and the fuse burned out. I sent it in for repair but was told that it could not be repaired, so it was replaced with the new version of the 250 watt amp. The new 250 watt amp has a lot of improvements over the "old" 250 watt amp. The new 250 watt amp has a nice heat sink and a more durable case. The 250 watt amp uses a better design than the "old" 250 watt amp. It even has a switch that allows you to switch between the TN1225HO and the TN1220HO amp. There is a difference in the sound that the amp produces as compared to the older 250 watt amp - the notes and sounds aren't as distinct. I personally like the sound of the "old" 250 watt amp better that the new 250 watt amp. The new amp sounds a little more "muffled" than the older amp - as if the amp "cuts off too fast."

Purchased At:   www.hsuresearch.com